Slow Cinebench R20 on 5800x

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Trying to make sure my PC is working correctly at stock as it was just built about a month ago. From what I am seeing, my singe clore looks spot on at 621, but my multicore @ 5824 is about 5% less than Guru3ds review. Everything is stock - PBO/AutoOC are off. I have 240mm water. Single core barely breaks 61c and hits 4.8ghz. Multi core hits about 78c after a run and seems to clock all cores at 4.425ghz. (from hwinfo64) My ram is 3600c16 1:1. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

I've tryed Ryzen Balanaced & Ryzen High performance power plan in win10 and results are almost identical...

What do you mean by PBO off? You went into BIOS and changed it from Auto to Disabled? I get a little over 6k points in multicore CB R20 but I never bothered to alter PBO settings, they are still on Auto, and I'm not really sure if it means disabled or enabled for Asus, I'd guess it's enabled but all limits and other settings are still on their default values. Lots of things can contribute here like version of BIOS used.

What do you mean by PBO off? You went into BIOS and changed it from Auto to Disabled? I get a little over 6k points in multicore CB R20 but I never bothered to alter PBO settings, they are still on Auto, and I'm not really sure if it means disabled or enabled for Asus, I'd guess it's enabled but all limits and other settings are still on their default values. Lots of things can contribute here like version of BIOS used.
Yeah it is "disabled" in the bios. IIRC I have the latest as of ~ December 15th or so. What speeds do you boost to in multi-thread?

Last edited:
That 5% could purely be due to cooling performance. Your 240mm AIO is probably less than whatever cooler they're using + open test bench.

At single core you aren't hitting the thermal limit, but at multi-core you're probably down a step or so from max at 78c.

Also, silicon lottery.

That 5% could purely be due to cooling performance. Your 240mm AIO is probably less than whatever cooler they're using + open test bench.

At single core you aren't hitting the thermal limit, but at multi-core you're probably down a step or so from max at 78c.

Also, silicon lottery.
I wonder If I should just do a core voltage offset....maybe that would help? I've currently got my pump/fans on "silent". I could probably drop a few degress if I turned them up...

edit: Turned up fan/pump speed & my max temp during a run is now 75-76. I set PBO and the PBf enhancer in bios back to "auto". Voltage offset of -0.1 reduce temps down to 71 but also reduced my score to barely above 5600 down from 5800+. Still stumped... Thanks for all the help guys. If anyone else has suggestions, I'm all ears. I could do 360mm AIO but I'd have to front mount.

Last edited:
I could do 360mm AIO but I'd have to front mount.
thats fine as long as the tubes are well above the block and it will knock a few more degrees off the cpu temp. it will bump the gpu and mobo temp a bit though, unless you have bottom fans feeding the gpu.
also, id put your cpu voltage back up, leave pbo on and see what your score is. the others score you are comparing too may be tweaked more, higher spec ram etc to contribute to it being higher.

Yeah it is "disabled" in the bios. IIRC I have the latest as of ~ December 15th or so. What speeds do you boost to in multi-thread?
Huh? You disabled PBO... and as a result have lower multi in R20. PBO on auto is the default configuration, which you disabled so everything is now stock. I don't see the problem here, you reduced perf on purpose.

Huh? You disabled PBO... and as a result have lower multi in R20. PBO on auto is the default configuration, which you disabled so everything is now stock. I don't see the problem here, you reduced perf on purpose.
Turning PBO back to Auto yields the same 5800'ish score....doesn't matter i I set it to "default" or "auto"...

Turning PBO back to Auto yields the same 5800'ish score....doesn't matter i I set it to "default" or "auto"...
The only other variable I can think of is cooling and memory speed. Turning PBO to auto should give you a gain vs disabled. Since you get the same score you might be cooling limited which wouldn't be a stretch given its being cooled by an 240mm aio. If you wanna brass tax it Guru's numbers are actually a bit high. In comparison my kid's 5800x gets around 6100 in multi but scores 640-650 in single. It's also setup with a top end full loop, dual 480 rads, etc etc. Thus I tend to think Guru's numbers may be a lil on the high side for multi but the single is only ok.

/dev/null I just did few runs of CB R20
All cores are boosting to 4,572.3MHz and stay there for most of the test duration, if it drops it drops for a second to 4,547.3MHz but then it's right back to 4,572.3MHz. Temps are reaching 80C after 3 runs. Scoring between 6066 to 6092 in these runs. Room ambient is a little low now, around 21C, when it'll get warmer scores & boost will drop a little I guess.

Cinebench is not that good at scaling with memory but I'm running 3733MHz CL14 kit with optimized sub timings.

/dev/null I just did few runs of CB R20
All cores are boosting to 4,572.3MHz and stay there for most of the test duration, if it drops it drops for a second to 4,547.3MHz but then it's right back to 4,572.3MHz. Temps are reaching 80C after 3 runs. Scoring between 6066 to 6092 in these runs. Room ambient is a little low now, around 21C, when it'll get warmer scores & boost will drop a little I guess.

Cinebench is not that good at scaling with memory but I'm running 3733MHz CL14 kit with optimized sub timings.
Seems I boost about 150mhz less than you & you have better ram than I do as well. Did you do anything with PBO to get it to boost that high? What board are you using?

What is funny Is guru3d has the same 3600c16 ram as I do so I figured I should get a similar score.

Seems I boost about 150mhz less than you & you have better ram than I do as well. Did you do anything with PBO to get it to boost that high? What board are you using?

What is funny Is guru3d has the same 3600c16 ram as I do so I figured I should get a similar score.
I use ASUS TUF GAMING B550-Plus with 1401 BIOS. PBO is on Auto, whatever it means for Asus. One time I touched PBO was on previous BIOS but only to enable ECO mode limits to test something and then my Cinebench results were lower, initially 5500 points, but I managed to tweak it a little to get around 5700 points.
Do you maybe have something called Fmax Enhancer enabled in BIOS? I read it's hurting performance and not doing anything good for Zen 3.

Cinebench really doesn't scale that good with memory, try Geekbench 5, my default non-oc ram score there is around 9500 points, now it's around 10700

I use ASUS TUF GAMING B550-Plus with 1401 BIOS. PBO is on Auto, whatever it means for Asus. One time I touched PBO was on previous BIOS but only to enable ECO mode limits to test something and then my Cinebench results were lower, initially 5500 points, but I managed to tweak it a little to get around 5700 points.
Do you maybe have something called Fmax Enhancer enabled in BIOS? I read it's hurting performance and not doing anything good for Zen 3.

Cinebench really doesn't scale that good with memory, try Geekbench 5, my default non-oc ram score there is around 9500 points, now it's around 10700
Yeah FMax Enhance is set to "auto"....maybe I should disable that? It would be nice to have a nice straightforward guide for Zen3 on what you should expect "stock" and then maybe OC from that point. I haven't found anything super easy to understand yet.

Also, I found this on FMax Enhancer

Last edited:
Yeah FMax Enhance is set to "auto"....maybe I should disable that? It would be nice to have a nice straightforward guide for Zen3 on what you should expect "stock" and then maybe OC from that point. I haven't found anything super easy to understand yet.
Same :) I was fighting with my ram for weeks and I'm still not happy with the results, and BIOSes are super bugged right now so experience may vary depending on the motherboard/bios combo you are using, make me miss my Intel platform at times. PBO vs all core OC that's yet another level of complication.
You can disable this one and check if it changes anything, it's hard to tell if auto is disabled or enabled for some motherboards.

Same :) I was fighting with my ram for weeks and I'm still not happy with the results, and BIOSes are super bugged right now so experience may vary depending on the motherboard/bios combo you are using, make me miss my Intel platform at times. PBO vs all core OC that's yet another level of complication.
You can disable this one and check if it changes anything, it's hard to tell if auto is disabled or enabled for some motherboards.
I disabled FMax Enhance and it didn't make any difference. Perhaps Auto = Disabled on my board?

Most likely, you are also on Asus board so they should act similar. This guy had similar issue, somehow scores for same CPUs were worse on different motherboards, no idea if he figured it out.

Amd, overclocking and heck even general stability is questionable in my own 5600x experience.

PBO has been a mixed bag. Default runs best, more pbo mhz drops scores, undervolting via offset or curve optimizer has little effect. I can see more mhz in cpuz and core temp but benchmarks in games and cinebench drop which makes no sense when you see higher peak mhz.

Manual core ratio works when clocking, mhz scales but stability is questionable at even the rated max boost.

In the end best I can get in performance is pbo auto and infinity clocks running 1:1 with my ram. Frustrating is that as the agesa ages, performance seems to disappear asus 3201 bios drops scores across the board for cpu and games vs 3001 which is less than 2812 beta. I only use 3001 due to them fixing a ton of whea errors.

/dev/null I did some more testing. Changed PBO to advanced, set limits to motherboard, +200MHz etc. and scores were instantly lower around 5800 points, boost clocks were also lower. Set it back to auto and I'm back at little over 6k points.
I read somewhere that with recent BIOSes you need to apply high negative voltage offset via Curve Optimizer, I may try it later.

/dev/null I did some more testing. Changed PBO to advanced, set limits to motherboard, +200MHz etc. and scores were instantly lower around 5800 points, boost clocks were also lower. Set it back to auto and I'm back at little over 6k points.
I read somewhere that with recent BIOSes you need to apply high negative voltage offset via Curve Optimizer, I may try it later.
That's exactly on point. Doing absolutely nothing with pbo on auto should equal 6000 and change, given it is not near throtte point. It's actually hard to improve upon the base settings ironically. Pushing the curve optimizer up raises draw and pushes it near crash for a silly small amount of points.

See, for me I have PBO on and yet I am only getting around 5600 in R20. Reaches around 75C and 4.5-ish Ghz on all cores.

EDIT: I set PBO to Auto and the limit to Motherboard, everything else Auto, and then I got 5967. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Clock speeds were the same 4.5 GHz ish, same temps...no idea what changing any of those values does, it kinda seems to just do whatever it wants.

Last edited:
See, for me I have PBO on and yet I am only getting around 5600 in R20. Reaches around 75C and 4.5-ish Ghz on all cores.

EDIT: I set PBO to Auto and the limit to Motherboard, everything else Auto, and then I got 5967. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Clock speeds were the same 4.5 GHz ish, same temps...no idea what changing any of those values does, it kinda seems to just do whatever it wants.
Pay attention to the power draw, ie. in hwinfo. Your board is limiting the power the cpu can use. It's the motherboard and the bios that is the difference. Also, setting it to "motherboard" means it will follow whatever you've set the board power limit to. By my guestimate you're probably around 130w. On Asus strix-e and crosshair, you can enable performance enhancement, 3 levels, and it will suck down upto 160w giving you 640/6200 in r20. But on the boards I mention just straight auto nets 6000 in r20.

Exactly this. If I recall for 5800X (which is 105W TDP CPU)
PPT - 142W
TDC - 95A
EDC - 140A

Setting this to motherboard sets PPT and EDC to something close to 200W/200A, no way CPU will draw this much but possibility is there. Performance gain is minimal compared to all this extra power. On the other hand I was able to lower limits to close what ECO mode gives and still had around 5700 points after some tweaking, single core performance was unaffected.

Last edited:
^^Btw, there's some bug with asus boards and Ryzen 5k with regards to pbo limits when switched to motherboard. I call it a bug but who knows. Settings for ppt, etc are ignored so performance ends up regressing. I confirmed this for myself testing a 3900xt vs 5800x. On the 3900xt it follows the ppt value properly, I set 200w and power draw goes up to 180w. On the 5800x it drops to 130w. Asus has a performance enhancer too that will unlock power draw and thar can allow a 5800x to suck down a ludicrous 160w+. But you want to be careful flipping all those switch's on...

I have an asus board and setting PBO to "motherboard" worked for me 3 BIOS's back, basically setting everything to max. May be broken in more recent ones.

It's generally fine to turn up PBO as high as it will go, it won't damage anything. If your VRMs can't handle the juice it'll be unstable. Otherwise you'll be limited by cooling and basically sit at 90C at full load at whatever speed your silicon lottery and cooler reaches.

That said, I don't do that, I set my PBO limits so I'm around 75C at full load, even though AMD says the chips are fine at 90C all day long. Just where I'm comfortable.

Perhaps some of the bios engineers are concerned with longeivity of the new chips until they get more testing completed. Massive backlash if a rash of toasted cores pop up in the wild as a result of overestimation of power limtits occurs.

Perhaps some of the bios engineers are concerned with longeivity of the new chips until they get more testing completed. Massive backlash if a rash of toasted cores pop up in the wild as a result of overestimation of power limtits occurs.
Maybe, but that doesn't explain them sticking in their "Asus Performance Enhancement" oc feature which just ludicrously loosens the power draw limits. My 5800x managed a crazy 160w and change with perf enhancement with level 2 and level 3 of that setting. It rather ticked me off, their mucking with manual and board limits. Limiting the chip by ppt is ideal imo, but noo... can't have that.

My old Asus/Intel X99 did that too and it freaked me out when I fired up HW info the first time. WOW immediately restarted and did a manual config.

My old Asus/Intel X99 did that too and it freaked me out when I fired up HW info the first time. WOW immediately restarted and did a manual config.
Yeap, that's what I though too. Cpu die temps shot thru the roof too, I was like holy wtf! Turned that off quick.

I set everything back to Auto and now I'm only getting 5700. None of this makes sense...lol. I guess I don't care that much about Cinebench R20 but it seems weird to have the performance just go all over the place for no apparent reason.

I'm running a 5950x with a X570 Tomahawk board. It has an option in bios for PBO 4. I tried it and it jumped my R20 score from 9408 to 11,404. I'm running this way right now but plan to play later with the curve optimizer in hopes of a 12k score.

I get 6300 on my 5800x and x570 unify in R20
Using Curve optimizer -20 all core for those #'s. But run it -16 for daily use. All core boost at -20 was 4700-4725, on air sitting at about 80c.
If I just run the cpu stock or even PBO +200mhz with no curve optimizer the scores go down.

Trying to make sure my PC is working correctly at stock as it was just built about a month ago. From what I am seeing, my singe clore looks spot on at 621, but my multicore @ 5824 is about 5% less than Guru3ds review. Everything is stock - PBO/AutoOC are off. I have 240mm water. Single core barely breaks 61c and hits 4.8ghz. Multi core hits about 78c after a run and seems to clock all cores at 4.425ghz. (from hwinfo64) My ram is 3600c16 1:1. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

I've tryed Ryzen Balanaced & Ryzen High performance power plan in win10 and results are almost identical...
Hi, the same here! i believe that after agesa 1.1.0.0 it happens. Asus mobo too?

Last edited:
Back