Slow Boot Up XP

Tony Montana

[H]ard|Gawd
Last week I came home work and turned on my computer.. For some reason the XP boot screen took about 1:30 to go through... This is alittle strange.. It usually goes much faster.. I cant think of anything I might have done to cause this. I didnt install any new drivers/devices/software.. Didnt do windows updates..

Is there a way to find out what could be causing this? Is there a way to see in the event viewer? Or is there a way to run something that will detect whats happening?

1. Run chkdsk

2. Check the condition of hard drive

3. Run JV16 and Cclean to clean up the window registry.

3. Run JV16 and Cclean

Cclean is not the best tool to increase boot time; for me, anyway. It actually increased my boot time, probably because it removed a lot of the customisations i had made (and some in the registry).

Open up the task manager and tell me how many processes you have running and what your commit charge. Although this may help explain why the boot times are longer, it won't really help to explain why they are longer than before.

You could try BootVis, it gave quicker boot times for me. Defrag your hard drive if you haven't done so. Start > Run > msconfig > Startup tab to see if any start-up programs can be disabled on log-in.

Do the same with the "Services" tab.

Yeah.. system maintenance is a must regardless of the OS.. and that should be common sense, in my opinion.

So are you saying that the OP's problem is lack of adequate system maintenance, and a reinstall is the best option?

Yeah.. system maintenance is a must regardless of the OS.. and that should be common sense, in my opinion.

So are you saying that the OP's problem is lack of adequate system maintenance, and a reinstall is the best option?

I'm not saying that at all. I am saying that "lack of adequate system maintenance" cannot be the only reason for slowdown in windows.

Why? My work PC running XP-Pro connecting to a domain, completly locked down, only install applications :{Office,Matlab.SABER,OrCAD,Xilinx,ModelSim}, internet restricted (heavily) via websense

when PC's first arrived they were great booted fine and logged in fine and everything was smooth (just like my home-XP after a fresh install). After a month complete slowdown. Now concidering I have no right's to the OS on the work's PC something must of caused it to slowdown wouldn't you agree?

Back