Slow after new card installation

WildMonkey

Gawd
I just switched from an HD6970 to a GTX 670 and now sometimes when I alt-tab out of a game my PC is super slow, as if all the resources were being used up. If I play a video the video is all choppy and jerky, and the machine feels generally slow until I close the game. And no, I'm not running out of system resources, I check Task Manager and it seems normal, nothing unusually high as far as resource usage, weird.

I'm just using my comp as I normally do. I have a 2500K @ 4.3 GHz with 16 GB RAM on Windows 7 x64, like I said, the only difference is the card/drivers and it happened the very day I switched, and when I switched I uninstalled the AMD drivers first.

Is it normal for Nvidia cards/drivers to perform in such a manner?

I would go into your C drive and look for any left-over AMD/ATI stuff and delete it.

Then run a driver cleaner.

Then uninstall and re-install 301.42 using a clean install technique.:D

Also go into the nvidia control panel and under 3D profiles, global, set GPU for maximum performance.

Last edited:
Or there's always a fresh Windows install. :)

I can't tell you how many wonky "slow" problems have disappeared over the years once I reinstalled the OS.

So I cleaned the system from all video drivers in Safe Mode with Driver Sweeper, rebooted, reinstalled Nvidia drivers. Issue still present.

Is it the card? I mean this is REALLY annoying. I can't even multitask on this thing. It's like going back 15 years. In order to be palatable I only have to be using windows without anything running in the background. Which is incredibly annoying, for some reason my resources are being eaten away when I have a game minimized. ANY damn game.

I think I'll be going back to AMD if this isn't resolved soon.

So I cleaned the system from all video drivers in Safe Mode with Driver Sweeper, rebooted, reinstalled Nvidia drivers. Issue still present.

Is it the card? I mean this is REALLY annoying. I can't even multitask on this thing. It's like going back 15 years. In order to be palatable I only have to be using windows without anything running in the background. Which is incredibly annoying, for some reason my resources are being eaten away when I have a game minimized. ANY damn game.

I think I'll be going back to AMD if this isn't resolved soon.

Damn.
Have you tried running the 670 against Furmark or something to see if it's stable?

I can't imagine what your problem would be at this point.
My son used to have the same problems with alt-tab when running SLi'd 580s.....single card, no problem, but when the 301 driver series came out he said the problem was/is gone.

the ati to nvidia install I did work good for Boarderlands,after the ati driver removal ccleaner on the registry and no problems presented in a marathon 12 hour session
the gtx 680 does run Boarderlands 2560x1600 maxed smoother than the 2x 6950 but aa in the ati seems to work better(the boarderlands config tool for aa and pov adjustment,removed the black outlines)
runs much cooler is a welcomed change
did a 3D mark 11 run of P9302

Check windows error log. My system does this too once every blue moon when my nvidia driver crashes

If you've ever had a memory leak issue, then you know what I mean by it feels like something is draining all your resources and your computing power drops down to the speed of a wrist watch.

I finding this whole situation incredibly perplexing. I'm not willing to format/reinstall my whole OS drive so I can maybe get the problem fixed. I'll do it if I know it will fix it, otherwise I just have to assume that it's a driver/gpu issue and there should be at lease something I can do.

I'm glad I did not get a GTX 670 now.

Tons of people complaining about Red Screen errors and crashes. Now I'm reading about multitasking issues.

I have two LCDs and multitask fine with my 5870, not trading that and 400.00 for faster game play and lago o rama on Alt-Tabs. I spent the money on New PC speakers and decided I'll wait a bit longer.

When sites test these cards they only test with individual games they never really test how a person with two lcds would use the card. I'll have starcraft 2 running on one screen and a Video on the other all with smooth gameplay and smooth video. I'm typing this on one screen and watching the french open tennis on the other with no system lag.

Can the 670/680 do this without issues of lagging?

I'll have starcraft 2 running on one screen and a Video on the other all with smooth gameplay and smooth video. I'm typing this on one screen and watching the french open tennis on the other with no system lag.

Well at least not mine anyway, but quite frankly I don't think you'll make any Nvidia fan boy confess to a problem like that. AMD cards are much better at this.

I get you man, I'm the same way. I'm used to playing a game, watching a video/TV, surfing, using MS Office, etc... at the same time. It's my way of life! You can imagine my frustration when I couldn't do that anymore without serious lag, FFS, when I type I have to wait a second or two for my words to popup on the screen!

This is just ridiculous, how come a much much older card could be better at 2D than this piece of crap?

Last edited:
haven't had trouble multi tasking but I have had some other issues like rubber banding or something.. super strange. going to wait for new drivers before i return it for a 7970 though.

I'm glad I did not get a GTX 670 now.

Tons of people complaining about Red Screen errors and crashes. Now I'm reading about multitasking issues.

I have two LCDs and multitask fine with my 5870, not trading that and 400.00 for faster game play and lago o rama on Alt-Tabs. I spent the money on New PC speakers and decided I'll wait a bit longer.

When sites test these cards they only test with individual games they never really test how a person with two lcds would use the card. I'll have starcraft 2 running on one screen and a Video on the other all with smooth gameplay and smooth video. I'm typing this on one screen and watching the french open tennis on the other with no system lag.

Red Screen errors were an issue with GPU-Z and similar programs.

I have no issues with multitasking with my 670. I have 3 monitors + a LCD TV connected. I played Diablo 3 and Guildwars 2 while stream the NBA playoffs without issue. It behaves the same as the Radeon 6950 I was using before. I do miss the AMD hot key Display Profiles though, while they were sometimes buggy it was better than nothing.

Glad to hear someone has a good one. I think it was an issue with quality control or some bad batches. For many it was much more than running GPUZ, it was BSOD, RSOD.

Below is an example of many posts of this type I have read about.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Stock card running on both latest and previous driver, I get the following symptoms:
"
- random red screen (RSOD) on idle.
- crashes out of BF3 after few minutes.
- crashes out of Unigine after few minutes.
"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the 2nd Asus 670 GTX that I've owned. The first one died within 10mins of 3DMark and I had to return that to Superbiiz. This one keeps crashing in Heaven at stock settings. I love Asus but I can't believe they put out a shoddy product. Will not buy another Asus 670 GTX unless they fix this issue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evga did a recall of their 670 cards. It seems that there were a large number of defective cards that somehow snuck past the manufacturers quality control.

Leaving the end user out of 400-500.00 and they become the quality control experts. Reinstalling OS's etc trying to fix a broken card. I don't need that type of headache.

I'm sure it will be fixed with time, but I'm not rolling the dice and trading in something that works for me now.

I'm going to stick with that old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

For the record I had bought a new asus radeon 7850, and it died in a week. They upgraded me to a 7950 but I was so bothered by the process I went with a gigabyte gtx 670 and could not be happier! The Asus customer service was excellent, I had a replacement card in hand in 10 days including shipping time!

Evga did a recall of their 670 cards. It seems that there were a large number of defective cards that somehow snuck past the manufacturers quality control.

Leaving the end user out of 400-500.00 and they become the quality control experts. Reinstalling OS's etc trying to fix a broken card. I don't need that type of headache.

For the record, I think the EVGA 670 SC recall was a fairly small number of cards that were affected from a batch during a specific time frame and EVGA handled the mistake very professionally by offering a free upgrade to 670 FTW cards for those that were affected. No one that I've heard about was out of $400-500.

Unless they are getting the video cards for free I do believe the people are paying from 400-500 for 670/680.

I think when they spend that much they expect someone has tested the cards and really did not sign up for spending 500.00 then having to debug for the company for free.

This can happen with AMD or Nvidia I own both brands and really could care less who makes it as long as it works. I'm not getting a 7970 or 670 now. My 5870 is going to be a tough act to follow. Running 24/7 for 2 years and no issues. Its not broken so I have decided not to fix it given the issues that I am reading about.

EVGA was good to admit there was a problem. I am wondering why the other companies have not done so. Asus seems to have a broken card. The gigabyte 670 looks to be decent but I had not head anyone actually doing any multitasking with it.

Too late anyway, I just got my Swan M50w speakers. And they sound wow!

I fail to see your point about how much the customer paid for their card when it was replaced for free with a more expensive model. The customers for that bad batch of 670's were compensated, the only thing they lost was a little downtime without their cards to cross-ship.

I think you are reading my post and somehow are trying to link with one particular post about a person that got an upgrade. I'm not talking about that person.

I'm talking about the countless posts from people that have wasted time fiddling around for hours, some even doing a clean install of windows (not a fast process) to make sure its not OS related only to find it was the card. Companies do not compensate for this and I am not saying they should. I would not touch an Asus card right now as too many have had issues with it. I think they were rushed out with little thought to quality control. Why would I reward this behavior but giving them money?

After reading about 300 posts lets just say my trust is not high. I'll fine waiting it out.

Last update:

So as a last ditch effort before I returned the card was to install a fresh copy of Win 7. Same problems persisted.

This is either a bad card or Nvidia users are used to slow multitasking/2D performance, but I don't think that's the case because I used to own an 8800GT and it was a great card.

I had made a system copy of my previous install and reloaded that, put my 6970 back in, works like a dream.

I think the slow ALT-Tab might be nvidia new drivers.

Got a second rig with new win 7 install with gtx 570 and its slows down entire cpu after alt tab. Never did that with old drivers.

I'm going to reinstall old drivers and see if thats the issue.

WIldMonkey do you remember what version of drivers you were using with that gtx 670?

Were they the 300 series ie. 301.42 by any chance?

I was using 296.10 with a 560 ti 448 no issues.

Then went to 301.42 and started having massive slow downs alt tabbing from games.

Went back to 296.10 and alt tabbing seems fine so far.

Could it be you had a good card but assumed the latest drivers were the best?

Seems many people are having issues with the 300 series drivers.

Back