Slow 50MB/s file sharing in Win7

SvenBent

2[H]4U
I have dropped fomr my ususal 105MB/s file transgfer from/to my file server, down to only 50MB/s and I cant figure out why

Cat5e cables on both server and client connected to a buffalo 24 ports 1GBit switch
9k jumbo frames enabled on both client and server

Server:
Windows 7 Pro
Core 2 quad 9400
Intel onboard nic.
1 kingston V300 SSD for OS
4x samsung 1TB 7200RPM HDD in raid 5 for data
Atto speed = 250-300MB/s locally on this raid 5 array

Client:
Windows 7 pro
Core i7 3770k
Onboard realtek nic
1x samsung 850pro for OS/programs
2x 300GB velociraptors 10k RPM in raid 1 for data/work area
Atto speed on the mapped drive is 5-50MB/s

File copy speed fomr server til client, done on client is 45-50MB/s

I've tried:
disabled buffer flushing on the raid 5 array - did not help
Disabling large send offload on the server nic - did not help
Enabling large system cache - did not help
Disabled/uninstalle all AV - did not help

Any suggestion to what i cant do to get my 105MB/s transfer rate back ?

If you want to know go back and re-enable jumbo frames:

Open a CMD prompt on the client and use ping.exe to check the max size of the packets and compare that to your Jumbo Frames settings.

ping -l 1500 -f server Normal frame

ping -l 4096 -f server Little Jumbo Frames (I see this occasionally on older switches and inexpensive switches)

ping -l 9000 -f server Normal Jumbo frames

Keep in mind that the maximum performance difference you will see by using Jumbo Frames is around 20%

Jumbo frames are not as useful as they used to be with the rise in faster processing power. Unless you have a specific need for jumbo frames, I wouldn't bother with them.

If you want to know go back and re-enable jumbo frames:

Open a CMD prompt on the client and use ping.exe to check the max size of the packets and compare that to your Jumbo Frames settings.

ping -l 1500 -f server Normal frame

ping -l 4096 -f server Little Jumbo Frames (I see this occasionally on older switches and inexpensive switches)

ping -l 9000 -f server Normal Jumbo frames

Keep in mind that the maximum performance difference you will see by using Jumbo Frames is around 20%

Already did this and during the 9k settings it did get 9070ish bytes before it would drop the packaged due to fragmentation. :(

-- edit --
Just tried with 4k jumob frames (4050 succeede ping packet) im at around 85MB/s file transfer rate.
Soo no jumbo frames it is

1500 = 105MB/S
4000 = 85MB/S
9000 = 60MB/S

Last edited:
Back