slipstream SP on vista professional

nomak

Limp Gawd
I have been through the search function on slipstreaming the SP on my vista disc.. I currently have just the plain vista release with no service packs..can I go ahead and just go to SP2 or do I do SP1 then 2 or just SP1 only.. im confused with all the problems I read about on both SP's when it comes to slipstreaming of either one.. thanks.

I believe Vista SP2 requires SP1.

The only way to slipstream it that I have saw is to install the OS, update the SP's, then run some command that packs the system back into a system disc ... or something like that. It seemed like a lot of work ...

Considering that the SP's come with a 'clean up' tool, install them from Windows Update, then use that I would say.

AFAIK the slipstream process was not 100% reliable, dont quote me, but i'd suggest to get a copy or download a .iso of another disk with SP2 already on it.

Correct. The Vista/7 discs cannot be slipstreamed like XP and prior discs could.

well the reasson I was wanting to slipstream was because when I let the windows update do its thing it found like 104 updates and installed them but then when I viewed the history or read the error message it said it couldnt install some of the updates for some reason on like 20 some different updates but then once I restarted computer and did the windows update scan again it went out and got the updates that failed and installed them..this made me curious if something had gotten corrupted when the updates the failed to install the first time... is that something I should be worried about with the corruption because I plan on imaging it once its got all the updates installed but the first image I had was of vista before SP1 even had came out..; so I had some free time thought I would reformat and then reimage with a more up to date image file..thought I could speed up the install process by slipstreaming SP's and not have to deal with the failure of the 20 some updates that installed fine on the second time around...thanks,,,

Manually download SP1 and SP2 stand alones. Install the OS then immediately install SP1, reboot, then do SP2, reboot, then run the clean up tool. End by running Windows Update.

I like the way they decided to do service packs for office. copy the disc to a folder, add the service packs to the updates folder, then burn back to a DVD, waa laa, When you install office, it looks in the updates folder and installs automatically. Seems that they could make the Windows OS updates this simple, but, NOOOOOOOOOO, that would be too easy. Even though MS Office is sill Microsoft, it is much easier to drag, drop, reburn.

Fish :cool:

Last edited:
failure of the 20 some updates that installed fine on the second time around...thanks,,,
They failed because they likely depended on other updates. For example, if you told Windows Update to install IE8, the few security patches for IE7 would naturally fail. If you reinstall your OS this often that it is a problem to download the SPs and updates, I'd suggest getting the SP2 media, and being done with it.

Manually download SP1 and SP2 stand alones. Install the OS then immediately install SP1, reboot, then do SP2, reboot, then run the clean up tool. End by running Windows Update.

what is this clean up tool you speak of ?? i dont know vista as well as I do XP and have only used windows 7 once since it came out..lol...

Back