Sling TV Launches Multi-Streams, New $20 Channel Bundle 3 connections at once!

Because my ISP is my cable company and they make it so that it's not really cheaper to cut the cord. Am I supposed to just cut the cord on principle when it doesn't save me any money?

Still, interesting service. If I ever get an ISP that won't pressure me to bundle, I'll look into it.

That's awesome that your Cable TV is that cheap. Around here it's really expensive with all the fees for DVR rentals and crap. Basic stuff + 300mbps internet starts off at $129 before you get into adding in Premium channels.

We use sling TV, free OTA TV, plex, and amazon prime content. All this runs on amazon fire TV stick. 20$ plus internet makes for a good mix of content. TWC is pretty cheap but its still at least 30 to 40 more. Plus part of me likes not having cable. Forces me to seek out other items like reading or listening to npr

1. It's $15 more expensive to have triple play rather than internet alone.
2. The PC player sucked balls when I tried it upon Sling's original release.

Wish they had that around here. I would have Cable if it was only $15 on top of my internet.
The Sling PC player sucked for me also, but then they fixed it. I haven't used it lately though. They have a 7 day trial so if you're Cable wasn't so cheap it would be worthwhile to give it a try again.

What I liked about it was the ability to record my shows using other programs. That was pretty awesome. Hopefully that still works.

Comcast (and probably other cable companies as well) sure like to make it difficult to buy a stand alone internet service. I had a 1 year internet-only plan with Comcast, when it expired prices went way up. As I inquired about options, it became abundantly clear that they wanted me to have internet + at least some cable channels. It cost substantially less than internet alone, which makes no sense but hey, I'll take it!

This Sling thing looks interesting but I expect it needs to evolve a bit more before it gets good. They are all trying to feel out the market at this point.

My TWC 300/20 internet alone costs $130 a month normally. On their website they have a $65 a month promotion for new subscribers. I just make them price match that yearly by saying that I'm leaving.

I tried Sling's 3 stream package during a 7 day trial. It seems that only certain channels are able to be multistreamed and others aren't. So if you pop open ESPN, which isn't a multistream channel, and Fox, which is a multistream channel; you will kick the other device off for having too many devices. I canceled it so fast. Faster than lightning. Not going to play musical chairs with my mom's TV.

My 50/5 connection costs 55$ a month. Add sling TV is not a bad deal. I have an ota signal for live broadcast stuff. The combo is plenty for me

Sling is a good idea but the implementation is horrible. The UI (bleh), the limited number of streams, I cancelled after I found out about Sony Playstation Vue. The cheapest package is 29.99 I think. The only downside is 1) You have to have a PS3 or 4 and 2) it's geo-limited to your house unless you have IOS / apple gear (licensing reasons? IDK) - but I'm an android user so ...

I don't need a DVR (none of us do) if every program we subscribed to had true on demand viewing. Why would I ever need to record anything, if I can just call it up and watch it when I was in the mood to see it?

I think that would be my dream setup.

I wish Vue was cheaper in the LA area. 40$ for 60 channels. Its not bad, but I like sling as I use an Amazon Fire TV stick to access all my media content(plex, Amazon Prime, OTA HD Channels via side loaded app, and sling) Plus I am really trying to wean myself off of cable. Slings channel lineup is not bad at all. Just wish there app ran smoother on the Amazon Fire TV Stick. Its slow as ass!

I wish Vue was cheaper in the LA area. 40$ for 60 channels. Its not bad, but I like sling as I use an Amazon Fire TV stick to access all my media content(plex, Amazon Prime, OTA HD Channels via side loaded app, and sling) Plus I am really trying to wean myself off of cable. Slings channel lineup is not bad at all. Just wish there app ran smoother on the Amazon Fire TV Stick. Its slow as ass!

The Vue app runs like ass on the stick as well.

The apps run great on the regular Fire TV box. Worth the 99 bucks I paid for it, considering how many people are complaining about the Fire stick's performance.

That's awesome that your Cable TV is that cheap. Around here it's really expensive with all the fees for DVR rentals and crap. Basic stuff + 300mbps internet starts off at $129 before you get into adding in Premium channels.

Threaten to leave(if you have options) and see if you can get discounts.

I was paying 103 w/taxes and cable card for Fios 50/50 and Extreme HD + showtime + HBO. Was going to increase to $110 when we move because of higher taxes. But we decided to cut the cord instead. 50/50 internet only is $57 all inclusive.

I just hate having to do the whole "threaten to leave" dance every year. You call, or chat, and they refuse, and you try again, until you end up playing customer service rep roulette so many times.... you eventually make it happen but it's such a hassle.

I just hate having to do the whole "threaten to leave" dance every year. You call, or chat, and they refuse, and you try again, until you end up playing customer service rep roulette so many times.... you eventually make it happen but it's such a hassle.

When they refuse you have to cancel. Either then you do cancel and get transferred to the customer retention department where the magic happens or you cancel and re-sign using your dogs name to get the best current deal.

When they refuse you have to cancel. Either then you do cancel and get transferred to the customer retention department where the magic happens or you cancel and re-sign using your dogs name to get the best current deal.

Sounds good in theory but I'm always so busy, and also because I use my connection every day... I really want to avoid any interruption in service. So I hate to have them call my bluff and then have to deal with that.

It sucks that ATT Uverse doesn't seem remotely competitive. Their promo rates are very similar to the standard rates for comcast!

It sounds like some people are way over buying for speed. 300 is pretty cool, but you only need 1/10th of that to do have pretty fast internet. Apparently, 300 is what the default is for TWC ... that's what my daughter got as well for occasional use ... which is really kind of insane. :)

Back to Sling TV, I'd like more options for ala carte. I really only want the sports. I can get all local channels OTA which I record. I was a subscriber during college football season, but I'm not interested in having it year round.

As far as internet plus cable is concerned, I only pick up the ability to record sports which is cool, but not worth the extra money for the dvr service, and besides, the price goes up after the trial period. BTW, I'd like sports only for cable as well. :)

IMHO any one of these ISP's could offer unlimited speeds, it doesnt mean that tomorrow everyone and their mother will saturate the pipe. Instead they would rather market speed tiers to the feeble minded with promises of faster internet when in reality shit is so optimized that side by side a system connected 25 down will load the same page as another on 300 down. The only time I see big pipe being necessary is with many concurrent users. But with that I ask what would people be doing that would actually slow down web access on say a 25 or 50 mbit pipe.

IMHO any one of these ISP's could offer unlimited speeds, it doesnt mean that tomorrow everyone and their mother will saturate the pipe. Instead they would rather market speed tiers to the feeble minded with promises of faster internet when in reality shit is so optimized that side by side a system connected 25 down will load the same page as another on 300 down. The only time I see big pipe being necessary is with many concurrent users. But with that I ask what would people be doing that would actually slow down web access on say a 25 or 50 mbit pipe.

THIS! If I didn't have multiple family members watching HD streams at once, while I upload or download largish files from cloud storage on a regular basis, I'd be totally fine with 50 or maybe even 25. I can't imagine what a "normal" user (ie not tech savvy, casual browser/streamer) would need 300 for.

THIS! If I didn't have multiple family members watching HD streams at once, while I upload or download largish files from cloud storage on a regular basis, I'd be totally fine with 50 or maybe even 25. I can't imagine what a "normal" user (ie not tech savvy, casual browser/streamer) would need 300 for.

Are you able to limit the bandwidth of the system downloading the files? I feel this is another problem for the casual user, no way to actually equally divvy up the pipe amongst the users.

I tried Sling free for a week. It was fucking horrible. The quality of the stream was atrocious, buffered constantly, UI is garbage, bounced out of channels. Glad I didn't pay for it. They have a long way to go before their service is worth paying for.

I have 300/20 internet service, so, not that.

Back