Slime Rancher is free at the epic games store today

Does this really work? I mean do people really sign up for the tencent store for a few throwaway games?

Does this really work? I mean do people really sign up for the tencent store for a few throwaway games?

I wouldn't call Slime Rancher a throwaway game, its really actually fairly addictive and rewarding to play, although it is very much a chilling and relaxing game to play.

I wouldn't call Slime Rancher a throwaway game, its really actually fairly addictive and rewarding to play, although it is very much a chilling and relaxing game to play.
It looks like a weird age appropriate fps, so yeah that is a throwaway game to me. When I don't even have time to play all the games I purchased with money why would I play an inferior game?

It looks like a weird age appropriate fps, so yeah that is a throwaway game to me. When I don't even have time to play all the games I purchased with money why would I play an inferior game?

*shrugs* your loss. I have very limited time 2 children under 3, and can only really play games when the other half is on night shift and the kids are in bed, so maybe 8 Hours a week over two/three nights. And Slime Rancher was a great game to stick some time into, and I certainly did not expect that.

You don't have to provide any personal information to the store, hell, it apparently doesn't even ask you to verify your email address! You can sign up with a throw-away account. Free games!

You don't have to provide any personal information to the store, hell, it apparently doesn't even ask you to verify your email address! You can sign up with a throw-away account. Free games!
Well I've been there done that got the shirt.

It was the same story with origin, they release free games too. And at first I kept adding them to my library like a good little robot, until I realized that I'm not going to play any of them ever.

If they give away a game that I know of and was interested to play it, just never got around to it, that's differenet. But Epic seems to be giving away games from studios I never even heard of.

I'm tempted... I don't mind cutsie games sometimes, like world of goo or kirby it doesn't seem offensively kid-style

Subnautica was available for free there a while back. Incredibly ignorant to call that "throwaway", IMO.

I grab free games if I can, just for the hell of it, but subnautica is one I almost did not grab, I got no interest at all in underwater games. The few times I tried an underwater game or part of a game I hated it with a passion but to each their own.

On the other had I got some good games for free on Origin, that I played a lot or still play.

This slime rancher at least looks like something I might give a go when I'm bored and need/want something different.

Is it a rated "M" AAA title from a major studio with a deep engaging story and lore? Nope. It's a super fun and addictive, family friendly, indie game for the cost of simply trying out a new store.

It also wont try to microtransact you to death or sell you $35 DLC which is just a missing part of the original game that fixes mechanics that should have been ironed out in the Beta of a $60 game.

But hey whatever floats your boat ....some peeps enjoy paying to get sodomized *shrug*

Great game, played a decent amount of it awhile back. The devs keep adding free content.

Slime Rancher is indeed a high quality indie title. It had a long period of Early Access via Steam before its 1.0 release and afterward qualified for various awards (ie Gold,Silver, Bronze etc) Steam purchase and/or played popularity lists. The game's cute aesthetic is part of a well crafted sandbox adventure with some neat mechanics and features to differentiate it from others. It can be played in a very relaxing way and many report that even non-gaming (or less interested in gaming) significant others find both the graphics and gameplay appealing. It is also updated with frequency and offers new free content patches and DLC, with more on the way. Best of all, they support Linux (and OSX)!

I certainly support the game, but as a matter of principle I would not want to pick it up on the Epic Store, even for free. Many of the Epic Store's policies (such as 3rd party, store-based exclusivity, timed or otherwise) I feel are generally harmful to the overall health of PC gaming. Not to mention of course that Slime Rancher itself, despite its Linux support available on Steam (and elsewhere), doesn't include Linux as a platform because Epic Store doesn't support Linux; the Epic Store launcher/client doesn't offer a Linux version nor do they even provide a direct download for titles. Given that the next scheduled "free" game, Oxenfree, also supports OSX and Linux, I expect the Epic Store will only offer Windows (and perhaps Mac) versions. This brings even more concern for titles like "Hades" by Supergiant games, who previously released Bastion, Pyre, and Transistor all with Linux support, yet are running their "Early Access" on Epic. Thankfully Supergiant has mentioned that sometime "after" early access they expect it to come to Steam and other platforms, but Linux hasn't been confirmed neither has a non-Epic timeframe (Will it be at official launch it will come to Steam, or will there be a year-long exclusivity to Epic a la Metro Exodus). Regardless, were you to purchase a game like Slime Rancher or Oxenfree when it was not a free promotion on Epic, you'd be getting less for your money given the platform's refusal to support Linux titles.

I know its hard to overlook a free game and Epic (given their considerable coffers) has been offering reasonable quality titles for free, but this is one of those times that I feel we should try to make a concerted effort not to support Epic.

Edit: Check out Epic's latest customer-and-competition unfriendly policy - post launch, all The Division 2 titles will need to be purchased directly from Ubi/UPlay themselves and/or the Epic Store. No more GreenManGaming, Fanatical, Humble Store, or anywhere else actually competing or offering discounted UPlay activated keys like in the past! https://hardforum.com/threads/ubiso...sion-2-after-release.1978641/#post-1044115813 . This is just another reason why we need to avoid supporting the Epic Store.

Slime Rancher is indeed a high quality indie title. It had a long period of Early Access via Steam before its 1.0 release and afterward qualified for various awards (ie Gold,Silver, Bronze etc) Steam purchase and/or played popularity lists. The game's cute aesthetic is part of a well crafted sandbox adventure with some neat mechanics and features to differentiate it from others. It can be played in a very relaxing way and many report that even non-gaming (or less interested in gaming) significant others find both the graphics and gameplay appealing. It is also updated with frequency and offers new free content patches and DLC, with more on the way. Best of all, they support Linux (and OSX)!

I certainly support the game, but as a matter of principle I would not want to pick it up on the Epic Store, even for free. Many of the Epic Store's policies (such as 3rd party, store-based exclusivity, timed or otherwise) I feel are generally harmful to the overall health of PC gaming. Not to mention of course that Slime Rancher itself, despite its Linux support available on Steam (and elsewhere), doesn't include Linux as a platform because Epic Store doesn't support Linux; the Epic Store launcher/client doesn't offer a Linux version nor do they even provide a direct download for titles. Given that the next scheduled "free" game, Oxenfree, also supports OSX and Linux, I expect the Epic Store will only offer Windows (and perhaps Mac) versions. This brings even more concern for titles like "Hades" by Supergiant games, who previously released Bastion, Pyre, and Transistor all with Linux support, yet are running their "Early Access" on Epic. Thankfully Supergiant has mentioned that sometime "after" early access they expect it to come to Steam and other platforms, but Linux hasn't been confirmed neither has a non-Epic timeframe (Will it be at official launch it will come to Steam, or will there be a year-long exclusivity to Epic a la Metro Exodus). Regardless, were you to purchase a game like Slime Rancher or Oxenfree when it was not a free promotion on Epic, you'd be getting less for your money given the platform's refusal to support Linux titles.

I know its hard to overlook a free game and Epic (given their considerable coffers) has been offering reasonable quality titles for free, but this is one of those times that I feel we should try to make a concerted effort not to support Epic.

Edit: Check out Epic's latest customer-and-competition unfriendly policy - post launch, all The Division 2 titles will need to be purchased directly from Ubi/UPlay themselves and/or the Epic Store. No more GreenManGaming, Fanatical, Humble Store, or anywhere else actually competing or offering discounted UPlay activated keys like in the past! https://hardforum.com/threads/ubiso...sion-2-after-release.1978641/#post-1044115813 . This is just another reason why we need to avoid supporting the Epic Store.

I know you think you're part of some sort of righteous group of knights on a crusade for justice but so do flat earthers. Nobody cares about that crap and the spam about it is annoying.

I know you think you're part of some sort of righteous group of knights on a crusade for justice but so do flat earthers. Nobody cares about that crap and the spam about it is annoying.
Translation: "You're wrong because flat earthers think they're right"

WHAT?

I think he was tired of all the hate on Epic Store....

The days of me caring about how many launchers we use are long past.

If you guys wanna rant, do it in another thread.

This one is to discuss Slime Rancher.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I'm sorry you're too stupid to see it's the same thing every other platform does.
I'm sorry you ran out of arguments, oh wait you didn't have any to begin with. First the flat earther nonsense, then straight to ad hominems.

Is it the same thing? Paying off publishers to NOT release their games on other launchers. Who else does that?

I'm sorry you ran out of arguments, oh wait you didn't have any to begin with. First the flat earther nonsense, then straight to ad hominems.

Is it the same thing? Paying off publishers to NOT release their games on other launchers. Who else does that?

Cool man, make a thread about it.

We're talking about a free game where you herd adorable slime monsters ;)

Back