Slim (30MM) 240MM Radiator or a Thick (60MM) 120MM Radiator on Existing setup?

aznpotpie

[H]ard|Gawd
Below is a picture of my current setup with 2 x 480MM + 420MM Hwardware Labs GTR. On the rear, there's space for a 240MM slim (30mm or thinner) radiator or I can put a 120mm Thick (60MM) radiator on the bottom of the two fans and install a second fan for push pull on the rad. What do you guys think? Was trying trying to fill all the spaces with rads!

HPpBusB.jpg

Why wouldn't he!? ?? ???

My completely unscientific opinion is the 240 would cool better (it is more surface area).

Last edited:
Why wouldn't he!? ?? ???

My completely unscientific opinion is the 240 would cool better (it is more surface area).

Because it makes no sense. You are adding a 240mm that you use as an exhaust to an already overcrowded loop.

If anything, fans as exhaust without radiator might improve performance.

I would go with the 240, because 240 looks like 420, and that would make your build the dankest around.

Nah but really, go with the 240. Having a chunky 120+fan on that lower spot would intrude too far and probably start to cover up your RAM.

You probably don't NEED anymore, and pay attention to flow as you are starting to get a lot of components.

That said, a larger thinner rad will always perform better than a thicker smaller radiator.

The air warms up as it moves through the radiator, so the thicker the radiator the less efficient it is.

That said, you are also going to have a similar problem with all the radiators you have. Radiators on air intake are going to warm up air and the .that warm air is going to exit over exhaust radiators.

It will likely still result in cooler temps, but it will be less efficient than if each radiator were thin and got virgin air.

Why do you need more rad space!? ??
Why wouldn't he!? ?? ???
Because it makes no sense. You are adding a 240mm that you use as an exhaust to an already overcrowded loop.
If anything, fans as exhaust without radiator might improve performance.
I'm not sure what your point is?

Shouldn't make a big difference, it's more to fill the void of me knowing that I could put a rad there but I didn't. However I thought this was Hardforum, an enthusiast board, so why not?

I would go with the 240, because 240 looks like 420, and that would make your build the dankest around.

Nah but really, go with the 240. Having a chunky 120+fan on that lower spot would intrude too far and probably start to cover up your RAM.
I wouldn't mind the sacrifice if it was worth it hahah!

You probably don't NEED anymore, and pay attention to flow as you are starting to get a lot of components.
That said, a larger thinner rad will always perform better than a thicker smaller radiator.
The air warms up as it moves through the radiator, so the thicker the radiator the less efficient it is.
That said, you are also going to have a similar problem with all the radiators you have. Radiators on air intake are going to warm up air and the .that warm air is going to exit over exhaust radiators.

It will likely still result in cooler temps, but it will be less efficient than if each radiator were thin and got virgin air.

Have dual D5 running in Serial, do you think that's enough? Have a third D5 that I can find a space for to use also.

Shouldn't make a big difference, it's more to fill the void of me knowing that I could put a rad there but I didn't. However I thought this was Hardforum, an enthusiast board, so why not?

I wouldn't mind the sacrifice if it was worth it hahah!

Have dual D5 running in Serial, do you think that's enough? Have a third D5 that I can find a space for to use also.

Yours system is not balanced regarding airflow. You have a 2 x 480 as intake, then a 1 x 360 as exhaust + 1 x 240 exhaust (or bare fans). As it is, you are choking the fans on the frontal rads because air can't get out fast enough. You will probably get better end results with simply 2 x 120mm fan as purely exhaust.

At the end of the day, a radiator recycling air is a bad-performing one. And on a system air-starved such as yours... even more so.

Yeah, my bad. Didn't see the second D5. You have a lot of components, but two D5's in series are probably more than enough.

What beast of a case is this that can accommodate 2x480's in the front? CaseLabs?

Back