Slightly OT - Cooling an entertainment center

brycejones

Supreme [H]ardness
I need some help cooling my entertainment so far I've cooked three of the cable companies DVRs but now I've bought my own ReplayTV and I don't want to cook it. I thought about getting some 120mm 120 v AC fans but the only ones I could find had noise ratings of around 40 db, way to loud for my living room. Does anyone know of quieter 120v fans or should I go with 12v DC fans connected to a power supply, if the latter option is the best where could I good, inexpensive PS to drive 2 fans?

Thanks

well you have two options to me, as I see it. one, you just get a big AC-powered fan, as they tend to be quieter. theyre still not silent but theyre quieter than 40dbA. second, is you get the biggest 120AC->12DC inverter you can find (2A or more should be OK), and you just wire up some 120mm case fans where you need the venting

Also, make sure the hot air has a place to go. Make sure there's room (I assume you're blowing hot air out the back) between all the equipment and the wall.

i just plugged a 7volt inverter into the back of my reciver so the fan connected to it only kicks on when it is on. generally any inverter from an old phone or whatnot will do.

Back