Slightly confused. Which is better?

mannyman

2[H]4U
Im notlooking for a new PSU, I was just wondering what power supply has a better ability to power a lowish end gaming rig (Mine in the sig but with 2 5770s) Just curious.

PSU 1 Is a XG vortec PSVO-600 600w Psu here is the sticker on the side.http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-167-012-11.jpg

PSU 2 Is a Antec ture power trio tp3-430 430w Psu here is the sticker on the side. http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-103-942-04.jpg

Out of the 2 what is the better power supply?

Thanks.

The XG 600w was a turd in 2006 and the company went out of business. Doesn't even have a 6-pin PCI-E connector, does it? Newegg user reviews caution about the SATA power connectors having a tendency to disintegrate.

Because of that, the Antec is probably the least worst of the two.

Neither one of those PSUs is good enough to power a gaming PC with two 5770s.

The XG 600w was a turd in 2006 and the company went out of business. Doesn't even have a 6-pin PCI-E connector, does it? Newegg user reviews caution about the SATA power connectors having a tendency to disintegrate.

Because of that, the Antec is probably the least worst of the two.

No it does, In fact it has 2.

Neither.

Given XG's history I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole regardless. The Antec is a decent PSU but 430 watts isn't enough to power a gaming rig. I would say it would have trouble with just one card. I would even try to run two with it.

Neither.

Given XG's history I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole regardless. The Antec is a decent PSU but 430 watts isn't enough to power a gaming rig. I would say it would have trouble with just one card. I would even try to run two with it.

Well it ran my rig for over a year, Ill buy a better one later on, Im was just wondering the better of the 2. From what I gather its the antec.

Both Units are about 5pounds in weight and the XG is a solid aluminum chassie i may do a gut transplant to keep the "astheticly pleasing" chassie and replace the grills.

Like anothers said the antec is the better but you should really get a better psu than either of those.

Yeah interesting fact, the Antec is actually made by Seasonic out of the two it is the better. I will purchase a new one eventually but untill then ill use the the Antec for my mobo and drives and the xg for the gpu's only.

For now that is.

I had one of those True Power deals.....it was higher wattage, but not for heavy use.....one day blue smoke came out the grill......I think it was just over a year old.

I wouldn't use it unless it was in a low power, low use internet machine.....your parts are in jeopardy with that piece of shit.:eek:

I had one of those True Power deals.....it was higher wattage, but not for heavy use.....one day blue smoke came out the grill......I think it was just over a year old.

I wouldn't use it unless it was in a low power, low use internet machine.....your parts are in jeopardy with that piece of shit.:eek:

Even then I wouldn't get it. CX430 V2 for $20 after rebates, how much cheaper can you get? And it is a high quality unit.

Well since its about 6 years old now and it has been powering the rig in my sig for 2 years I would say its not a piece and that it is tried and true. Anyways a great number of people would argue that seasonic is one of if not the best PSU maker.

Even then I wouldn't get it. CX430 V2 for $20 after rebates, how much cheaper can you get? And it is a high quality unit.

Its just not in budget right now, if I could sell my monitor I would buy a new one but as it stands it is not.

Well since its about 6 years old now and it has been powering the rig in my sig for 2 years I would say its not a piece and that it is tried and true. Anyways a great number of people would argue that seasonic is one of if not the best PSU maker.

It's not the sticker on the outside that matters.....it's what's inside. I just have not been impressed with Antec units......and I surely don't abuse my stuff.

That would be $20 well spent.:D
I have an HTPC and it was powered by an Antec something or other 500Watt PSU that I got free from a friend......it just flat out died last week, no power, no nothing.......fortunately no blue flames......are you starting to see a pattern here?
I just put a new Corsair 600Watt CX series in that HTPC, was on sale at the newegg with rebate for under 40 dollars.

Last edited:
Seasonic does make good PSUs. However, the one you have is a low-end model from several years ago. It is not suitable for your machine. If you can't afford to buy a new PSU, take out one of your 5770s or live without gaming for a little while.

It's not the sticker on the outside that matters.....it's what's inside. I just have not been impressed with Antec units......and I surely don't abuse my stuff.

That would be $20 well spent.:D
I have an HTPC and it was powered by an Antec something or other 500Watt PSU that I got free from a friend......it just flat out died last week, no power, no nothing.......fortunately no blue flames......are you starting to see a pattern here?
I just put a new Corsair 600Watt CX series in that HTPC, was on sale at the newegg with rebate for under 40 dollars.

Man you have had some bad luck with antec.

Seasonic does make good PSUs. However, the one you have is a low-end model from several years ago. It is not suitable for your machine. If you can't afford to buy a new PSU, take out one of your 5770s or live without gaming for a little while.

Yeah I know, And I do plan on grabing a new psu, I havent installed the 2'nd 5770 and wont till I get a new psu. I was just wondering what unit actually put out more power.

Never gone wrong with Enermax, ever.

I'd buy power supplies from guys who made power supplies for their whole company history (even though they make cases now, too) rather than from guys who made cases and RAM sticks and now do power supplies.

Just my opinion.

Never gone wrong with Enermax, ever.

I'd buy power supplies from guys who made power supplies for their whole company history (even though they make cases now, too) rather than from guys who made cases and RAM sticks and now do power supplies.

Just my opinion.
Well, that's a silly opinion. Length of time in business has no bearing on the quality of a product. You should choose something based on its merits.

Especially these days. There's quite a few review sites, including [H], that do very thorough reviews on PSU quality and performance.

Yeah well, a review is not gonna tell you if that stupid thing blows up after 2 months with 30% load only and the replacement does as well. That was my first and last venture into the territory of fancy "quiet"/"gamer"/whatever PSUs. And that thing had good reviews, too.

My first Enermax from almost 10 years ago still works as do the others I got later. I have never needed to replace one due to faults.

Everyone decides for themselves, I'm just telling my experience.

Yeah well, a review is not gonna tell you if that stupid thing blows up after 2 months with 30% load only and the replacement does as well.

To be fair, neither will a logo/name on the PSU :) Although there is something to be said for companies and their standards. Corsair for instance, has pretty high standards when it comes to QC and build. Enermax is also very good.

As for Corsair (indirectly mentioned before), their more recent PSUs use boards manufactured by Seasonic or CWT. Seasonic alone has been in the PSU industry for over 30 years. :p

Plus, even the best companies have bad products occasionally. I bought a Enermax 720W Infiniti unit back in 08 that died within a month, and took my GPU with it. However, Enermax is still a very good brand when it comes to PSUs, despite the one failure I got.

Yeah well, a review is not gonna tell you if that stupid thing blows up after 2 months with 30% load only and the replacement does as well.
Actually, a good review will tell you that. There are three main things that can lead to early PSU failure: component defects, manufacturing issues, and design errors. Component defects are random and can happen to the best PSUs. Manufacturing defects generally result from poor quality control and generous tolerances, which is something that most good PSU reviewers look at when they take a PSU apart and examine the interior. Design errors are harder to figure out, but with good PSU manufacturers, they are extremely rare, since PSU designs are tested heavily before they are released to market.

In short, the main "at fault" reason for why a PSU would fail early is because of poor manufacturing, and that is something that is covered in most proper PSU reviews.

I have an Antec True Power 430 from the era of bad caps (I think 8yrs ago or so), and it still hums along nicely. It was only recently replaced with a newer true power 430 I got on sale for $25 a couple years ago.
Then I had a Corsair TX-750 that gave up the ghost after a little less then 3yrs.

Failures are as much luck as anything else, especially when looking at units from well regarded PSU mfgs.

The Tp-430 would pull a 5770 with ease. The 5770 uses 88w at load and that psu got the 6 pin connector a 5770 needed.
The Tp is a Seasonic unit

The Tp-430 would pull a 5770 with ease. The 5770 uses 88w at load and that psu got the 6 pin connector a 5770 needed.
The Tp is a Seasonic unit

/facepalm reading fail.

He has crossfire 5770s.

Back