Slickest 1151 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Intel MoBos' started by _l_, May 16, 2018.

1. _l_

_l_ Gawd

Decided it was time to do another Intel PC gaming build and was hunting for a 1151 300 series motherboard. Used a MSI Z370 Gaming M5 for my last build in January 2018 and was about to order it again when I happened upon this one:

NZXT N7 Z370

wow, it's the slickest looking motherboard; perfect for mounting on a Thermaltake Core P3 wall mounted case because after all I have to admit ... looks ARE sometimes important {8^o

This board had good performance reviews ... what do you think?

A detailed "by the parts" HardwareCanucks review is HERE

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

How do you feel about ECS/EliteGroup?

3. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

That's a big premium for a few plastic bits on a bare bones mobo imho.

Red Falcon and Ocellaris like this.
  4. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

You have to account for the man-hours that NZXT spent on the phone calling ECS.

Kardonxt likes this.
  5. auntjemima

auntjemima 2[H]4U

Explain. I love reading.

6. _l_

_l_ Gawd

I'm very ok with this particular ECS board (I have no prior ECS experiences), especially since the press release said it was built from the ground up according to NZXT specs.

NZXT's first offer for a motherboard, let alone it's a gaming board. Bold move IMHO and the covering is cosmetically excellent, 4 year parts/labor warranty and it has to perform and last if NZXT wants to stay in the gaming motherboard arena

It has an all-metal cover, not plastic

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

ECS built the NZXT N7 Z370

auntjemima likes this.
  8. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

The worst part is that it looks like a stripped down version of the ECS Z370 Lightsaber that has an MSRP of $199.

IMHO NZXT is going the wrong direction with their "make a clean PC with all NZXT parts" goal. I would develop a line up of shrouds and covers for existing mobos \ components and sell them for $50 a pop.

Otto and _l_ like this.
  9. _l_

_l_ Gawd

Yea, that 4 year warranty along with stellar looks that has minimal company logos plastered all over it as well as no over-sized chunky chipset logo heatsink like the competition always seems to use is a real killer to a new entry into the market.

Their next release needs to have armored x16 PCI-e and DDR connectors and metal instead of plastic M.2 covers (can be used as heatsink plus will cover the two 8-segment displays when a M.2 is installed in that slot. Also, smaller segment displays like on the MSI Z370 Gaming M5 would be a nice touch)

Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 2:50 AM
  10. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

Well since NZXT doesn't make motherboards I wouldn't be so sure on the greatness of the 4 year warranty that's probably handled by a 3rd party. The full featured ECS Lightsaber is $199. With the striped downed features this would probably come in around $150? That's a huge premium for a chunk of plastic added. I would take an Asus ROG Maximus or GB Gaming 7 anyday over this at $249. I don't really think the chintzy plastic makes the build look any better to begin with.

11. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

not good. i had one mb and it lasted 3 months. never again.