SLI Shutting my PC Down

I recently acquired another GTX275 very cheap and i thought i would try out sli.
everything works like a charm until i last more that 5 minutes (some times 30 seconds) playing a game. The pc shuts down. Turn it back on and its fine.....until i try and game again.

i have a Antec Quattro 850 (850W) and im sure that it can provide me with enough power but i do not know why its overheating (when i take touch the PSU its very warm). Now, i added one of case fans to the rear or the unit (so it would blow air in the psu) to try and get it to not over heat, the pc takes longer to shutdown, but i still does...

you guys have any ideas?

what i thought about doing was getting this adapter http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5..._Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html?tl=g11c28s91 and getting another ~370Watt PSU (probably another http://www.amazon.com/Power-Cooling...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264692618&sr=8-2) and using the that PSU just for the other card and fans.
I know that getting a bigger (higher wattage) PSU will solve that issue, but if i can fix it for ~$60 i really do not want to spend $200 on a new PSU.

My specs are these:
Core i7 860 @ 3.5GhzStock vcore)
Biostar T5 XE CFX-SLI
RAM - 8GB (2x4gb) G.SKILL Ripjaws
Evga & BGF Geforce GTX 275 SLI (stock)
Creative Xfi XtremeGamer
Antec TruePower Quattro 850 Watt
CoolerMaster HAF932
2 SATA green HDs
1 regular SATA HD
i have 3 Scythe Ultra kaze 3000 120mm fans, one 120mm fan (stock H50 fan), and the top and fromt stock 240mm case fans.

just about every PSU calculator tells me im under the 700W mark (expect for new eggs, that tells me i need a 873W PSU...)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like that PSU cannot handle the load if it is getting that warm. It may be going bad. If you have a local computer parts store go buy a new one, I recommend Corsair, at a similar wattage and see what happens. Then you will hopefully be able to RMA the Quattro and return the tester PS..

You sure it's not a GPU issue? Try gaming with only one video card installed.

im sure its not a GPU issue, both GPUs work fine alone.

i bought a compressed air can and dusted out the PSU, will see if that helps.

Same thing happended here, not sli but single. I can get a good 30 minutes into COD6 then it shuts off. It doesnt automatically restarts but when I restart it, its fine. I thought it was my psu, upgraded to a newer one. with a higher rated 12v rail. Same problem. this was on a 9600GT from bfg. i bought a new 88gt and it worked fine. antec is a really good brand, and i highly doubt that its ur psu.

Do you have more negative than positive airflow? What i mean is do you have more outtake fans than intake, if the psu is having to fight for intake air it can definitely cause it to overheat. But if your case isn't designed for having more intake then there might be nothing you can do.

As a test try running with your side panel off for a day and report back.

Same thing happended here, not sli but single. I can get a good 30 minutes into COD6 then it shuts off. It doesnt automatically restarts but when I restart it, its fine. I thought it was my psu, upgraded to a newer one. with a higher rated 12v rail. Same problem. this was on a 9600GT from bfg. i bought a new 88gt and it worked fine. antec is a really good brand, and i highly doubt that its ur psu.

i cleaned the PSU and it was still shutting down,
sincde i tested with one card at a time alone in the system i know its not a GPU issue since it doesn't turn off when running in single mode or both in with SLI off.

Do you have more negative than positive airflow? What i mean is do you have more outtake fans than intake, if the psu is having to fight for intake air it can definitely cause it to overheat. But if your case isn't designed for having more intake then there might be nothing you can do.

As a test try running with your side panel off for a day and report back.

Ive got 3 Ultra Kaze 3000 fans as intake in the side panel and the stock 230mm front intake fan.
for exhaust ive got a another Kaze 3000 and my H50's stock fan in a push pull exhaust config, and the stock 230mm top exaust fan.

so Ive got positive air pressure in my case.

i bought a Corsair 850HX and the issues went away.

Last edited:
if you have a spare psu try and run the 2nd card off another psu that should show if it is ur psu or not

sucks that the PSU failed though, i guess that after 3 years the Capacitors cant handle the rated wattage this PSU was made for :(. Still, I'll keep the PSU as a back up, but i will now treat it as a 600W PSU, not the advertised 850W.

RMA the Antec. It shouldn't derate that fast, something's wrong. Also, 600w should be enough on your setup.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I ran two GTX260's just fine in SLI. I sold them and upgraded to a GTX275 and my power supply wouldnt power up. I installed a lower end card, and it would run fine. So i had to go buy a Corsair 750w. The kicker is that I was using a Corsair TX650 that should have been plenty of power for a single GTX275, since it was running 2 GTX260's no problem

I recently acquired another GTX275 very cheap and i thought i would try out sli.
everything works like a charm until i last more that 5 minutes (some times 30 seconds) playing a game. The pc shuts down. Turn it back on and its fine.....until i try and game again.

i have a Antec Quattro 850 (850W) and im sure that it can provide me with enough power but i do not know why its overheating (when i take touch the PSU its very warm). Now, i added one of case fans to the rear or the unit (so it would blow air in the psu) to try and get it to not over heat, the pc takes longer to shutdown, but i still does...

you guys have any ideas?

what i thought about doing was getting this adapter http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5..._Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html?tl=g11c28s91 and getting another ~370Watt PSU (probably another http://www.amazon.com/Power-Cooling...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264692618&sr=8-2) and using the that PSU just for the other card and fans.
I know that getting a bigger (higher wattage) PSU will solve that issue, but if i can fix it for ~$60 i really do not want to spend $200 on a new PSU.

My specs are these:
Core i7 860 @ 3.5GhzStock vcore)
Biostar T5 XE CFX-SLI
RAM - 8GB (2x4gb) G.SKILL Ripjaws
Evga & BGF Geforce GTX 275 SLI (stock)
Creative Xfi XtremeGamer
Antec TruePower Quattro 850 Watt
CoolerMaster HAF932
2 SATA green HDs
1 regular SATA HD
i have 3 Scythe Ultra kaze 3000 120mm fans, one 120mm fan (stock H50 fan), and the top and fromt stock 240mm case fans.

just about every PSU calculator tells me im under the 700W mark (expect for new eggs, that tells me i need a 873W PSU...)
First, rear fans are for exhaust, absolutely NOT intake. Flip that immediately. Hot air from your PSU blows out the back, your just sucking it back in. Side vents/fans or front vents/fan is where cold, fresh air come from.

Secondly, remove one of the cards from SLI and play with just one. Are the games still having the same problems?

Also, go back to stock CPU clock WITH SLI and see if it still does it.

First, rear fans are for exhaust, absolutely NOT intake. Flip that immediately. Hot air from your PSU blows out the back, your just sucking it back in. Side vents/fans or front vents/fan is where cold, fresh air come from.

Secondly, remove one of the cards from SLI and play with just one. Are the games still having the same problems?

Also, go back to stock CPU clock WITH SLI and see if it still does it.

i cleaned the PSU and it was still shutting down,
sincde i tested with one card at a time alone in the system i know its not a GPU issue since it doesn't turn off when running in single mode or both in with SLI off.

Ive got 3 Ultra Kaze 3000 fans as intake in the side panel and the stock 230mm front intake fan.
for exhaust ive got a another Kaze 3000 and my H50's stock fan in a push pull exhaust config, and the stock 230mm top exaust fan.

so Ive got positive air pressure in my case.

i bought a Corsair 850HX and the issues went away.

please re-read my previous post

my front and side are the intakes

my back and top are exhaust.

and like i said in my previous posts, i DID play with the cards. one at a time and they both worked fine by themselves. As soon as i installed them in SLI is when my Antec PSU failed. "since i tested with one card at a time alone in the system i know its not a GPU issue since it doesn't turn off when running in single mode or both in with SLI off."

i did test with stock clocks and it was still shutting down.

Since i bought a Corsair HX850, and my issues went away. I am 100% sure it was my PSU.

RMA the Antec. It shouldn't derate that fast, something's wrong. Also, 600w should be enough on your setup.

600W is enough for a OC Core i7 860 @ 3.5Ghz, and 2 GTX275s in sli?

Last edited:
Back