SLI owners WON'T go higher than 1280 X 1024??

Dosomo

Limp Gawd
Anandtech: FIRST LOOK: Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI page: 5

To clarify test results, benchmarks are reported in separate graphs for standard results at 1024x768 resolution and enhanced results at 1280x1024. Since 1600x1200 normally requires a 20" or larger flat panel monitor, we did not report 1600x1200 results, since most readers will not run at that resolution. For a complete evaluation of 1600x1200 SLI performance, please refer to the nVidia SLI launch review.

I just read this review on Anandtech of the new Gigabyte Nforce 4 SLI motherboard, and found this quote surprising. I believe that anyone even considering SLI with two 6800 GT's or Ultra's is looking to run at 1600 X 1200 or above. The reviewer's supposition that most readers won't run their games at this resolution is very mistaken. It is basically the entire reason for going with an SLI rig. Resolutions below 1600 X 1200 have proven to be more CPU hindered than GPU in the current generation of games. Only at high resolutions and high levels of AA and AF does SLI start to make a strong case for itself.

If you look at the comments section of that review, you will see that the reviewer (Wesley Fink) continues to make excuses and far-reaching statements when asked about this quote. He says that 19" CRT's that are capable of 1600 X 1200, don't look good at that resolution (since when?). He constantly deflects questions about this issue and attempts to defend his benchmarking method, instead of simply saying he didn't have a monitor capable of 1600 X 1200 when he did the review.

I am having a harder and harder time reading reviews at anandtech lately. I only trust the ones written by Anand himself at this point. Sorry this was such a long post, but this really bugged me. What do you guys think?

Dosomo said:

1600x1200 on a 19" monitor is tiny for 2D, but AT gave some pretty stupid excuses not to run 1600x1200 SLI benchmarks.

Yeah, and AT has a couple of bad authors. Is it the same guy who ran the Linux benchmarks? :D

Wtf. I'd expect 2048 in most games. Hell, even I run in 2048 for most games with a single card. With SLi, 1600 should be the absolute minimum. Anand must have been smoking something when it was written :p

pxc said:
1600x1200 on a 19" monitor is tiny for 2D, but AT gave some pretty stupid excuses not to run 1600x1200 SLI benchmarks.

Yeah, and AT has a couple of bad authors. Is it the same guy who ran the Linux benchmarks? :D

If you are talking about that article about the new Xeon that didn't even include an Opteron system for comparison, then no. That was written by Kristopher Kubicki. It was a horrible article as well though. However, he did eventually go back and compare an Opteron and use some decent benchmarks too.

isn't that the same wanker, i mean reviewer that did that one comparo with top of the line 2mb cache Xeon and an low end AMD cpu? I can't find the article now...

Re-reading that statement, they really must be on something. I ran my 17" at 1600 for over 2 years!

Total crackheads. I'm suprised by Anandtech.

joecuddles, this wasn't written by Anand. Which is the main problem, i think. However, i agree with you that 1600 X 1200 should be the starting point for testing an SLI system.

Yeah I meant Anand = Anandtech, not Anand = Anand the person, guess I should have clarified, my bad :p

Some of his funniest excuses are in the Comments section.

6 - Posted on Nov 25, 2004 at 1:17 AM by Wesley Fink

I believe most will run 1280x1024 which is doable with most 19" flat panels. The cheapest flat panel I know of that runs 1600x1200 resolution is the 20.1" Dell at about $750. That's 16x12 entry level.

Most any decent 19" CRT can support 1600x1200 as you stated, but have you ever tried to play a game at 1600x1200 on a 19" CRT. I tried it just to see for this review and it was pretty ugly. However 16x12 was OK on the 22" Diamondtron, though I prefer 1280x1024 on the 19" flat panels for most gaming.

I loved this guy's follow-up comment:

54 - Posted on Nov 28, 2004 at 9:20 PM by BenSkywalker

I would have someone set up a double blind test for you, if you honestly can't see the difference then you should set yourself up an appointment with an optometrist. It sounds as if you have some fairly serious issues with your vision.

LOL

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that.

Dosomo said:
joecuddles, this wasn't written by Anand. Which is the main problem, i think. However, i agree with you that 1600 X 1200 should be the starting point for testing an SLI system.
Yeah, we just put in 10x7 in our SLI article just to show you how useless SLI was at that resolution....12x10 is minimum and I really think anyone investing that much cash is going to be looking for the magic 16x12....

Back