Sli gtx 770, what's it worth?

aust000

n00b
What kind of gains could I expect from upgrading from a single asus 2gb 770, to a sli setup? What kind of compatibility issues would I have from a sli setup? I understand that some games don't support it but how common is it for a game not supporting sli? Would it be more beneficial for me to just sell my 770 and take the money for the second 770 and buy something along the lines of a 970?

Makes zero sense. You'd be far, far better off selling the 770 you have and getting something like a 970.

SLI is always a bad idea, unless you're running a resolution that's high enough even the single fastest card on the market won't allow you to run the settings you want in the games you play. That's the only reason I'm running 980Ti SLI -- 3440x1440 is too high for a single card to handle at max settings in games like The Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Many titles have no or poor SLI support at launch -- even high profile games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, above, which was a "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" game with a "Game Ready" driver available day one. Nope, no proper SLI until recently. Just the most recent example, far from the only one.

In your case it's doubly a bad idea because the 770 is a 2GB card; SLI doesn't change the amount of VRAM you have available; it'll still be 2GB addressable in SLI.

Last edited:
I agree with silent. Get the fastest single card you can afford. SLI is never worth it unless you are at the super high end of the graphics line.

Thanks guys, I don't really know that much about sli so I'm just trying to figure out all of my options before go and do something stupid. I never knew the vram wasn't effected by sli.

I have SLI 4GB 770's. Also have 16GB DDR3 2400 and an i7-4770k. Some benchmarks below..

Bioshock Infinite: DX11, DOF, Max settings @ 1440p - 102fps avg
Shadow of Mordor: Max settings (no HD texture pack) @ 1440p - 78.53 avg
Firestrike - 11586

These cards have been pretty great in SLI but that all depends on the game. It's awesome when a game scales well but disappointing when one doesn't.

Given that you have a 2GB 770, going SLI makes 0 sense and would be an absolute waste of money at this point, unless you can get a second 770 for $50 or less.

SLI scaling is typically around 70%, and much lower (all the way to 0) in non-optimal cases.

I have been running 2x SLI GTX680 cards since 2012. The 680 is basically the same as the 770. Recently I was even able to pick up a cheap card for Triple SLI. Game support and scaling is actually much better than I expected. I'm still stuck with 2GB VRam but since I run 1080P that is not really an issue.

I have been running 2x SLI GTX680 cards since 2012. The 680 is basically the same as the 770. Recently I was even able to pick up a cheap card for Triple SLI. Game support and scaling is actually much better than I expected. I'm still stuck with 2GB VRam but since I run 1080P that is not really an issue.

if you are playing mostly pre-2012 era games then yes, you may have a point, however any 2014 and newer game will crush those 2GB easily even at 1080P.

^exactly

2GB just won't cut it anymore no matter how you slice it, which is why even the 960 is phasing out 2GB in favor of 4GB models lol

You guys are off on a trip somewhere....i recently upgraded from a 2500k 760 2gb sli setup that ran BF4 on ultra 1080p upwards of 90fps...smooth...for everything but the newest titles pushing large format display sizes such as ultra wide screen or 4k the 760 or 770 is still a viable option for a budget setup!! Plain and simple....it isnt very future friendly but for the current shooters like CoD BO3 and BF4 etc these setups will do just fine and for a great price range. Now by all means if you plan to run large format display or a 4k display, you need to upgrade to a 9xx series solution without a question. You will require display port or if you prefer hdmi 2.0 18gb/s for the larger format displays and or 4k. Its a simple matter of what level of performance and budget does a person have to work with....something that works well enough and for at or less than a single new video card has its perks!

if you are playing mostly pre-2012 era games then yes, you may have a point, however any 2014 and newer game will crush those 2GB easily even at 1080P.

Do you run with AA maxed out or something? Not only do my games run great, I'm pushing 120fps (120hz monitor).

Do you run with AA maxed out or something? Not only do my games run great, I'm pushing 120fps (120hz monitor).

yes? and what games are those? again if they are pre 2012 you shouldn't have any trouble, but with modern tittles 2GB are a considerably low and may and will cause issues with modern tittles, games even without MSAA like Far Cry 4 cause issues with 2GB at 1080P or less the stuttering is bad in that game with 2GB and that is just one single example as that game is vRAM friendly mostly.

Back