Sli Evga Gtx 1080s Overclocked with my system only pulling 556 watts full load

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
I was worried that in my new system I'm building this week I might not have enough horsepower with a New Corsair 1000Hxi, 6850K and a bunch of other stuff drawing power so I put the 1080s in my current system. 2600K @ 4500 Mhz, 4 sticks of ram, numerous fancs, blu ray drive, corsair RGB Keyboard and Mouse, the video cards are overclocked as well, 3 hard drives and a SSD and its only pulling 556 watts under load. Wow!!!

Last edited:
Good to know! I've had my HX1000 for donkey years now, only issue is the noisy fan.

The most impressive part? That's measured at the outlet. Your actual power draw is less than that.

Like I've said before, especially of single GPU users. If people actually understood how much (little) power their systems drew, the market for 300-400W PSUs would explode (not really, due to lack of good modular options, but still). My main system (i5-4590 stock, GTX 970) pulls about 280W. My wife's system (i3-4160, GTX 750ti) maxes just over 100W.

Ha, while computers draw less and less power, we see power supplies with ratings that are higher and higher.

The most impressive part? That's measured at the outlet. Your actual power draw is less than that.

Like I've said before, especially of single GPU users. If people actually understood how much (little) power their systems drew, the market for 300-400W PSUs would explode (not really, due to lack of good modular options, but still). My main system (i5-4590 stock, GTX 970) pulls about 280W. My wife's system (i3-4160, GTX 750ti) maxes just over 100W.

I don't have any tools to measure the actual power draw but I don't regret keeping my Seasonic 560w all those years (bought it in 2012), being a single GPU user it's more than enough, even with my 980 ti and 4790k. Not interested in multi GPU anyway.

Maybe a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.

So let's say I have my setup with 1000w PSU and replace only the PSU with a stronger one, let's say what I currently have, 1250w. And leave the rest of the components exactly the same. Would my electric bill stay the same or increase because of a stronger PSU?

Maybe a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.

So let's say I have my setup with 1000w PSU and replace only the PSU with a stronger one, let's say what I currently have, 1250w. And leave the rest of the components exactly the same. Would my electric bill stay the same or increase because of a stronger PSU?
I believe it depends on the efficiency of your new power supply at your current load.

For example, let's say your load is 600W and on your 1000W supply it gets 85% efficiency at that load.

If you bought a 1250W power supply at at 600W it gets 92% efficiency at that loading level the your power bill would go down; however, if it gets 84% efficiency at that loading level then your power bill would increase.

Make sense? Power supplies don't operate at their exact rated efficiency at all loading levels.

I've noticed when I'm at idle or surfing the net it's only at 115 watts to 140 watts. What I'm really impressed with is I just installed 26 low voltage landscape lights off of a 600 watt dual output ( 300 max watts each ) low voltage transformer, when everything is turned on I'm only pulling 112 watts.

I believe it depends on the efficiency of your new power supply at your current load.

For example, let's say your load is 600W and on your 1000W supply it gets 85% efficiency at that load.

If you bought a 1250W power supply at at 600W it gets 92% efficiency at that loading level the your power bill would go down; however, if it gets 84% efficiency at that loading level then your power bill would increase.

Make sense? Power supplies don't operate at their exact rated efficiency at all loading levels.

But even at the 85% vs 92% levels, unless you're running at that 24/7, it's a practically irrelevant difference.

600W power draw at 85% = 706W at the wall
600W power draw at 92% = 652W at the wall
54W difference

Let's assume roughly the same wall power draw at idle. Even if you gamed an insane 8 hours a day every day for 30 days every month, that's a total of 13kWh. National average looks to be about 12.5 cents/kWh. So with an average power rate, your power bill would be about $1.63 cheaper per month with the more efficient power supply. So at roughly $200 for a quality 1250W power supply, your ROI would be a little over 10 years.

5960X @ 4GHz, GTX 1080 FE SLI @ 2GHz, 32GB RAM on AX1500i (surge in graph is ARK in-game):

[click to enlarge]

You had Titan X or 980tis right? What do you think about the upgrade? I am trying my damnest not to buy two of these...

You had Titan X or 980tis right? What do you think about the upgrade? I am trying my damnest not to buy two of these...

TITAN X. Somewhat of a sidegrade. But I have no regrets. Got good money for my TITAN X setup on eBay...around $375 for the "upgrade."

Ok I think it's a bit clearer now. So if a PSU at 600W has 100% efficiency then it draws 600W from power outlet. The lower the efficiency the more it draws, but the impact is not that big.
Well that I did not know, thanks guys :)

Ok I think it's a bit clearer now. So if a PSU at 600W has 100% efficiency then it draws 600W from power outlet. The lower the efficiency the more it draws, but the impact is not that big.
Well that I did not know, thanks guys :)

On top of that, it's actually an efficiency curve, not a set amount. Depending on the load, efficiency can vary.

I'm pretty sure PSUs are MOST efficient at ~50% load. So if you have a 500w load running on a 1000w PSU, you are getting the MOST efficiency out of that PSU.

I'm pretty sure PSUs are MOST efficient at ~50% load. So if you have a 500w load running on a 1000w PSU, you are getting the MOST efficiency out of that PSU.

From 20% to 95% load the curve barely moves on most quality PSUs. At 50% load it may be 1-3% more efficient than those fringes.

Back