SLI causing flicker when watching videos

Sparkyy

[H]ard|Gawd
Running Windows 7 Pro which is fully updated, latest Nvidia drivers as well so I know it's not those.

However I go in to Nvidia Control Panel and under 3D Settings is Manage 3D Settings, well for SLI performance mode if I leave it to "NVIDIA recommended" then I am not actually using SLI in any of my games. I know this as I have turned on the option for Show SLI Visual Indicator.

I switch the SLI performance to Force alternate frame rendering 2 and now my SLI is running and working and I am getting much better frame rates. However when I go to watch a movie or video in VLC then I get flickering due to each video card processing the film.

I turn it back to NVIDIA recommended and it plays no problem but now no SLI in games! :mad::mad:

I cannot use the Program Settings tab as it is to dumb to realize when I go in to Left4Dead2 that it is a game and it needs to switch SLI on nor can I put VLC.exe in there and have it not use the SLI.

Is there something I am overlooking or what can I do to get it so that I don't alway need to go to the control panel to change my SLI on or off. I am getting very tempted to just dump my SLI 8800GTs and 8600GTS for a single 5870 and play my games with Eyefinity.

could you post how you fixed it in case some one else runs into the same problem..

The default setting is single gpu for media use in nVidia CP. Sounds like he's using the Global setting.
Or was since he didn't state how he corrected the problem.

Not a problem, I fixed the problem by merely updating my VLC to 1.0.3 and then yes I did leave my Global settings to Force alternate frame rendering 2.

Now when I check off "Show SLI Visual Indicator" I see it in VLC yet I do not get any flickering or stuttering and yet my SLI still works for in game.
Never had this type of issue under Vista so might just be a Windows 7 issue but that was my resolution.

Not sure why you're setting it in the Global settings?
The individual game profiles enable it unless it's a driver version that breaks SLI in that app?
Not sure about the driver version you're using, but ChrisRay has mentioned in the past changing the default SLI mode has required a driver uninstall/reinstall to get the default SLI profiles back.

For using the Global settings it is just to ensure any all games from Steam are enabled rather than wading through and adding some 20 games to a list, doing it globally does all games now and the future.
As for the driver version it is the latest, 196.21 drivers. I have been changing the default SLI mode from SLI and back with absolutely no problems at all.

Back