SLI and Windows 10

4RunnerTE

Limp Gawd
True that by all accounts SLI is not working with Windows 10, regardless of driver version?

Was able to find a handful of people on the geforce forums complaining about memory issues, just wanted to see if people here were running into the same problems.

SLI works fine. There is nothing about Windows 10 which prevents or inhibits multi-GPU operation.

VRAM usage with SLI and Windows 10 is not reported correctly.

For example, when I had two 780 Ti classified 3GB cards running in SLI in Windows 10, Shadow of Mordor (a DX11 game) was reporting up to 6GB of VRAM used. In reality it was only using 3.

Despite the incorrect reporting, the games all ran just fine.

SLI is working here. I did notice that in Ark and Witcher 3 the memory usage would go over 4GB for each card. Using MSI afterburner to show stats in games.

I'm running triple titans with triple monitors and I'm having an issue with SLI on 10. Tried playing BF4 and titanfall and after about 5 minutes, the game crashes to desktop complaining about low system memory. Tried all the drivers available and still the same results. I found on geforces forum that someone suggested installing 350.12 Win 8.1 x64 drivers and it worked out perfectly. Installed fine, got SLI set up with a minor hiccup. But BF4 and titanfall ran for an hour with any problems. I believe its a multimonitor SLI issue. Others that are not reporting any problems are probably not running multimonitor in SLI surround mode.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...on-sli-systems-after-windows-10-pro-upgrade-/

Last edited:
SLI 980m's here and no issues other than driver crashes with sleep mode. In games, it works fine.

I've only had time to play a few hours of BF4 and (mostly) DA:I on my 980 SLI setup in the last few weeks.

BF4 crashed after 20 minutes, and again after 5 min. (Some DX error, gave up after that)

DA:I plays well for the most part, I see VRAM usage reported up to 6GB. Perf tanks in weird places like dungeons/caves with nothing going on, yet I can get unwavering 60fps during battles.

All I can say is that whatever games in SLI surround work in Windows 10 work amazing. My smoothness and fps is up considerably over my win7 install in every game that works. There are 2 or 3 games that don't work though. BF4 crashes within minutes, codwaw has corrupt graphics and won't even launch at all in 3DVS plus random unexplained crashes here and there. There are also a lot of glitches in the desktop surround setup and use. My system runs FSX like a cray now with all addons which is frankly the only reason I even bothered with win10. I was planning on upgrading to skylake but now I'm not even going to bother since everything runs this great. I'll stick with this rig until it bursts into flames from too much overclocking - 4 years so far going strong at 4.6ghz though. Either way, nvidia needs to get their act together with their drivers and stop outsourcing to the least expensive contractor. This constant driver fail is giving them a bad name.

I'm running triple titans with triple monitors and I'm having an issue with SLI on 10. Tried playing BF4 and titanfall and after about 5 minutes, the game crashes to desktop complaining about low system memory. Tried all the drivers available and still the same results. I found on geforces forum that someone suggested installing 350.12 Win 8.1 x64 drivers and it worked out perfectly. Installed fine, got SLI set up with a minor hiccup. But BF4 and titanfall ran for an hour with any problems. I believe its a multimonitor SLI issue. Others that are not reporting any problems are probably not running multimonitor in SLI surround mode.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...on-sli-systems-after-windows-10-pro-upgrade-/

I've seen a lot of posts in the Win 10 Geforce Driver threads about BF4 and DA:I having memory errors since Win 10's release (BF4 having the worst of it). Nvidia seems to be aware of it, but it looks like a possible flaw with the Frostbite engine itself.

Overall, on my system, I haven't had too many problems with SLI.

I had to roll back to Windows 8.1 since Windows 10 and SLI was so broken.

My games would crash after 10-15 minutes: BF4 / GTA V / Elite Dangerous / even Rocket League.

Running Rampage V Extreme with SLI 980 Ti's and 5960X

I'm hoping they get it resolved fast.

I had to roll back to Windows 8.1 since Windows 10 and SLI was so broken.

My games would crash after 10-15 minutes: BF4 / GTA V / Elite Dangerous / even Rocket League.

Running Rampage V Extreme with SLI 980 Ti's and 5960X

I'm hoping they get it resolved fast.

Interesting, I haven't had one hiccup in any of these games with SLI, with the same chipset.
Everything has been pretty painless. (granted I didn't do an "upgrade" I always install fresh.)

I'm on X99 Deluxe, 5930k, and SLI 980's.

Interesting, I haven't had one hiccup in any of these games with SLI, with the same chipset.
Everything has been pretty painless. (granted I didn't do an "upgrade" I always install fresh.)

I'm on X99 Deluxe, 5930k, and SLI 980's.

Hmmm I did the upgrade...maybe that's the issue?

How do you do a fresh install, I was trying to find a Win10 iso to fresh install but couldn't find it anywhere.

Win 10, 2 x Titan Xs, Asus Rampage V extreme / 5960X

SLI works fine for me though I have only played the following games lately:

Guild wars 2
War Thunder
The witcher 3
World of Warships beta
GTA V
Elite Dangerous
Wargame Red Dragon
Wargame Air Land Battle
Wolfenstien New Order
Star Citizen
Heroes and Generals
Arma 3
Simcity (newest one)

All games work fine with Win 10 and my SLI setup.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this gives me hope. Maybe once I do the clean install things will get sorted out.

Thanks guys, this gives me hope. Maybe once I do the clean install things will get sorted out.

Yeah I wonder if that's going to be the key here as results seem to be all over the board. I have clean install of Windows 10 waiting for me once I get all my stuff ready to install.

5820, 980tis sli, win8.1 to win 10 upgrade with no clean install. No problems at all.

SLI definitely works. Not sure I buy into the "some people have problems, some dont." But there has to be a driver problem for the memory leak problem with sli...saw the complaints in the nvidia forum and some on reddit, too.

I have had crashing resuming from sleep. Havent tried games that stress the memory lately.

Well I can tell you that I was using teh latest nvidia drivers with my SLI 980 Ti's and in BF4 I would get a directx error. GetDeviceRemoved or something like that. The game was unplayable. It also did it in a few other titles.

I don't have any major issues with SLI in Windows 10. I do however have an issue that only showed up once I went SLI in Windows 10 that is kind of annoying. Every once in a while I will get a little static noise on one or more of my monitors for a split second. I would love to know how to fix this permanently.

Well this sucks. I did a full clean install of Windows 10, did all the "automatic update" tweaks and made sure that every single driver install was done by me. Win10 still hangs and gives me the very same directx error while playing BF4 with SLI enabled.

SLI works find in every other game I play though....I am really confused what is happening with BF4 that causes the "GetDeviceRemoved" error and it crashes????

Well this sucks. I did a full clean install of Windows 10, did all the "automatic update" tweaks and made sure that every single driver install was done by me. Win10 still hangs and gives me the very same directx error while playing BF4 with SLI enabled.

SLI works find in every other game I play though....I am really confused what is happening with BF4 that causes the "GetDeviceRemoved" error and it crashes????

I'll try to play a round or 2 and see if I have the same issues. I know I played recently just the test map and didn't have any probs

Well, after 15 minutes of gaming without any issues at 4k, I was going to exit out and post that my game was fine....then I hear an audible windows 10 ding and I have to control alt delete back to the desktop. I screen captured this for you. So, I guess this is either a NVidia driver issue with BF4 or with windows 10. Any1 else? So, I guess it's not just you Mango:(

5mfucj.jpg

Well, after 15 minutes of gaming without any issues at 4k, I was going to exit out and post that my game was fine....then I hear an audible windows 10 ding and I have to control alt delete back to the desktop. I screen captured this for you. So, I guess this is either a NVidia driver issue with BF4 or with windows 10. Any1 else? So, I guess it's not just you Mango:(

5mfucj.jpg

THANK YOU! Dude I wish I could give you internet karma for this. Same exact error I get, otherwise I do like Win10 (turned off all the telemetry stuff) so I'll just turn SLI off for BF4. Elite Dangerous and all the other games I play are fine.

^^ You're welcome dude. Lets just hope NVidia, M-soft or EA (In that order-Lame EA) come up with a fix

I have two problems with my Win 10 SLI setup. (2 GTX-980's, one monitor)

1. BF4 Will crash with a DX error saying something about memory.
2. BF Hardline does the same.

Haven't had any other problems on any other games. Thank god I found this thread, I was starting to worry about pre-mature hardware failure.

Heyyo,

I have two problems with my Win 10 SLI setup. (2 GTX-980's, one monitor)

1. BF4 Will crash with a DX error saying something about memory.
2. BF Hardline does the same.

Haven't had any other problems on any other games. Thank god I found this thread, I was starting to worry about pre-mature hardware failure.

Try out the hotfix drivers please should fix the out of memory issues.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1873565

I don't have those games so I never ran into that issue with any DirectX 11 game and my SLI rig. Runs just as good as Windows 7 SP1 does for me.

The only catch right now? No SLI in DirectX 12... then again, the amount of things you can even test with DirectX 12 is barely anything lol.

YES! I can say that the new Hotfix driver completely solved my issues with BF4 and the DX error pictured above. :)

Back