SLI Acquired! BUT Buyers BEWARE

DanK said:
Moral of the story: check http://www.resellerratings.com/ before you buy!

actually the moral of the story should be READ Reseller Ratings and you will see that Chumbo had a great reseller rating UNTIL they had a 1GB SD Card pricing error which turned into TONS of negative ratings. They have had no prior issues and none since. So you can't just look at the rating and get an accurate picture.

I thought the same thing about Chumbo after seeing the rating UNTIL I actually read 3 - 4 pages in and realized that all the complaints were from the same people over the same 1GB SD card screw up.

So go READ Reseller Ratings for Chumbo.com first and see how many negatives there were before that 1GB SD card incident, that makes a big difference.

J-Mag said:
ALso, I brought My camera home, but these pics are freaking huge? Is there a low cost method (or one built into XP) where i can rezise them? I wanna post the pics of my jacked up BFG card.

Paint as previously suggested

WinGimp (just released) which can be found by navigating the gimp website www.gimp.org

irfranview www.irfanview.com

xnview www.xnview.com

This is of course completely off topic for this thread

Well, it was a pain in the ass getting to this post because of my corrupt Windows XP installation, that I'm too lazy to reinstall because I get my A8N-SLI Deluxe in only a couple hours. I also bought a BFG 6800GT PCIe from Chumbo and it was delievered in perfect condition. I will be giving them a perfect rating since they had the card at MSRP before everyone else and gave everyone FREE overnight shipping.

P.S. If the PCI-Lock doesn't work you may hear of mass shootings at local malls. :eek:

P.S.S Another I'm really worried about is that the chipset is going to overheat because everything is crammed onto that thing. Oh well, we shall see in a couple hours.

J-Mag said:
Looks like you were going for the same setup as myself... Although I went cheap on my Proc, cause I heard the FX-57 is coming out Q1 2005. Are you missing the A8N-SLI?

I can let you know if the XP-120 fits, cause I picked up one too...

Another Curiosity: Why didn't you get the NCQ drives? I think they might beat Raptor performance. (Definately not in acces time but who cares?).

A8N-SLI was going to be delivered today, but I missed the FedEx guy. :( No biggie though, my PSU is still in transit and I didn't really want to play around trying to hook it up to one of my other PSU's.

As per AT forums, XP-120 fits.

Admittedly, I don't know much about NCQ, but like TCQ, I thought it was mainly for multi-user applications (server)? Seeing as I am concentrating on single-user app (games), I didn't think it was a big deal. Besides, I have 4x 300GB Maxtor's in a RAID10 on my workstation/storage system. :D

Well, I'm going to shotgun the FedEx guy after he delievers my A8N-SLI because he didn't deliever it today and FedEx customer support was atricious.
What I have:
A8N-SLI (FU FEDEX)
AMD 3200+ (939 of course)
Patriot XBL 3200 Dual Channel (Does 280+)
BFG 6800GT PCIe
Enermax Noisetaker 470W
NV Silencer 5
Koolance PC2-602B Water Cooled Case (I got it for like ~$120)

stuff4pu.jpg

Was hoping to have 2.8Ghz A64 with 280MZ FSB and a 425/1200 GT but FedEx dropped the ball. The mobo sat in California for 32 Hours before they even put it on the plane. :eek:

I have everything but the freakin mobo, so I'm wigging out. So close but so far.
Plus my 9800Pro is messed up, getting artifacts/crashes @stock after 10 min of playing, so I have to keep a fing house fan on it. So far my Christmas BLOWS.

Yay, it came in one piece. Sadly it made my 350 watt power supply blow up, so I guess I'm gonna be a sucker and buy an $80 Antec 450 watt at circuit city on Sunday... shit :mad:
bfg.jpg

Zinn said:
Yay, it came in one piece. Sadly it made my 350 watt power supply blow up, so I guess I'm gonna be a sucker and buy an $80 Antec 450 watt at circuit city on Sunday... shit :mad:
bfg.jpg

You're lucky it didn't take your components with it.

Zinn said:

i had a nasty experience once at circuit city. won't set foot in the place anymore (unless they are giving away a computer that is REALLY good)

bought a packard bell legend 402cd, this would be something like 10 years ago, and found that it didn't have the ram to do anything. well, circuit city didn't want to upgrade it, i forget what they argued.

they did finally put the ram in, but they had their revenge. that computer never functioned properly again. i have no idea why, but every so often (random but rare) it would decide to stop working in some manner. so, for example, it'd refuse to run a certain program for a while, and as soon as that started working again, something else would drop out, say the sound. it did actually run, though, and it got Mother through lawschool.

but i will never purchase anything from circuit city again unless it is a phenomenal deal and they agree under contract that if anything goes wrong they will fix it.

starhawk said:
i had a nasty experience once at circuit city. won't set foot in the place anymore (unless they are giving away a computer that is REALLY good)

bought a packard bell legend 402cd, this would be something like 10 years ago, and found that it didn't have the ram to do anything. well, circuit city didn't want to upgrade it, i forget what they argued.

they did finally put the ram in, but they had their revenge. that computer never functioned properly again. i have no idea why, but every so often (random but rare) it would decide to stop working in some manner. so, for example, it'd refuse to run a certain program for a while, and as soon as that started working again, something else would drop out, say the sound. it did actually run, though, and it got Mother through lawschool.

but i will never purchase anything from circuit city again unless it is a phenomenal deal and they agree under contract that if anything goes wrong they will fix it.

Are you kidding me? The machine specs aren't their problem. You the consumer must make a wise decision on your purchases. Comp USA sells machines with Windows XP and only 128MB of ram, which barely runs notepad with XP. Certainly not Office and other applications. That's not Comp USA's fault that the machine was manufactured that way. No seller gaurantees that it will work for (insert crazy high end program or task here).

That's like saying I bought a Chevy Silverado V6 to tow trailers with 10,000 pounds of weight in them. Then bitch when it's not enough truck to do the job you're trying to do with it. You should have bought a higher end PC or upgraded that one at the time of purchase to do what you wanted to do with it.

If you bought a computer without enough ram, and didn't have it upgraded at the time of purchase that's your fault.

Warranty also doesn't mean that you can buy a consumer level PC and run Avid Adrenaline software or something high end on it and say it doesn't have enough ram, so the reseller must upgrade it for free.

I hate it when customers pull shit like that.

After adding ram, I can tell you exactly why it didn't work right. Because it was a Packard Bell. They were never supposed to work right. :D

Bah I hate all of you with your fancy fx55 and 6800PCIexpress's :( hehe

Dang it where is newegg with there retail winchester 3500
DooD there seling OEM 3500 Winchester for like 355.. :eek:

Sir-Fragalot said:
Are you kidding me? The machine specs aren't their problem. You the consumer must make a wise decision on your purchases. Comp USA sells machines with Windows XP and only 128MB of ram, which barely runs notepad with XP. Certainly not Office and other applications. That's not Comp USA's fault that the machine was manufactured that way. No seller gaurantees that it will work for (insert crazy high end program or task here).

That's like saying I bought a Chevy Silverado V6 to tow trailers with 10,000 pounds of weight in them. Then bitch when it's not enough truck to do the job you're trying to do with it. You should have bought a higher end PC or upgraded that one at the time of purchase to do what you wanted to do with it.

If you bought a computer without enough ram, and didn't have it upgraded at the time of purchase that's your fault.

Warranty also doesn't mean that you can buy a consumer level PC and run Avid Adrenaline software or something high end on it and say it doesn't have enough ram, so the reseller must upgrade it for free.

I hate it when customers pull shit like that.

After adding ram, I can tell you exactly why it didn't work right. Because it was a Packard Bell. They were never supposed to work right. :D

you are missing the point. perhaps i didn't mention this: the people at circuit city claimed that 8mb ram would be enough to run ms word and all the other programs that i needed to run in win95.

the problem also was that this is incorrect. you can't run anything in win95 properly without at least 16mb ram.

thus, the problem was their fault, for (a) failing to admit that there was indeed a problem and (b) refusing to correct it without extreme amounts of haggling once it was revealed that there was a problem and it was their fault.

as for that old heap... it went to the great mainframe in the sky about a year ago. the rom erased itself, and with packard bell being totally gone, i couldn't've gotten a replacement. i pulled the hard drive and took the rest to the dump. all that's left now is the monitor and speakers, which work fine... although the monitor flickers rather badly. i'm trying to sell that as a bundle for $15 all told, but i haven't had anyone interested yet.

So, I got some time to try to set up this rig again and now it looks like even with the XFX 6800GT PCI-E that I ACTUALLY GOT (and unbroken at that), I am still having probs!!!!

Anyway I am not a complete dumbass, although this is my first A64 install

If you would be so kind as to view my new thread with suggestions, that would be awesome.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=847181

canislupy said:
fx55.jpg

Uh oh, now what will you think of me?!?! :D

FedEx update on my motherboard... delayed beyond our control... yay, happy holidays me. Actually, I think they do deliver tomorrow... so all hope is not lost.
Now I really hate you. :) Nice stuff BTW

Good luck to you J-Mag, sucks to hear about this.

i got my bfg 6800gt from chumbo and have nothing but praise for their service. sorry to see that someone else had problems, but they are a smaller place and these things do happen on occasion to ANY retailer of any sort. please don't crap on them for one or two incidents. i'm betting that for every person not satisfied there are dozens who are very happy

Becoming said:
i got my bfg 6800gt from chumbo and have nothing but praise for their service. sorry to see that someone else had problems, but they are a smaller place and these things do happen on occasion to ANY retailer of any sort. please don't crap on them for one or two incidents. i'm betting that for every person not satisfied there are dozens who are very happy

I agree, I was very pleased when I got my BFG 6800 Ultra from them and that was back in August when they were impossible to find. The people I talked to on the phone did not try to jerk me around or sell me anything, he even gave me an accurate date on when to call and place an order. Stuff like that gives me high praise for a company.

Sir-Fragalot said:
That's like saying I bought a Chevy Silverado V6 to tow trailers with 10,000 pounds of weight in them.

Kinda like towing ~3000lbs of U-Haul and stuff from SC to WA with an automatic Cavalier. It got there, but the 142K mile transmission tore itself apart after four months.

TechHead said:
Shh.. I'm coming with you.. notice he has two of everything.. you take 1 Raptor and 1 6800GT, and I'll take one each too.
;) :p :D

LOL that's going in my book^^ I wonder who get the CPU...?

Avenger213 said:
Well, I'm going to shotgun the FedEx guy after he delievers my A8N-SLI because he didn't deliever it today and FedEx customer support was atricious.

I'm with you on that one. I ordered 2 6800 GT OC's from Chumbo on Tuesday 12.21.2004 (before midnight). I checked the status the next morning and Chumbo had already delivered the package over to Fed Ex. Chumbo is not the one to blame on this one, but more to Fed Ex.

It's been over a week now, still no sign of my video cards :mad:

What's in the white box below the FX-55? Any why don't you get some water on that FX-55? I mean, it's an easy 3 gig + on water, and ATLEAST 3.2 on phase. Air will eget 2.9, 3 if your lucky,

zA.Gosu said:
What's in the white box below the FX-55? Any why don't you get some water on that FX-55? I mean, it's an easy 3 gig + on water, and ATLEAST 3.2 on phase. Air will eget 2.9, 3 if your lucky,

See my previous picture, the white box has the BFG 6800GT OC PCIe.

2.8GHz on air no problem. This Asus board isn't helping w/ the OC's...

starhawk said:

starhawk said:
you are missing the point. perhaps i didn't mention this: the people at circuit city claimed that 8mb ram would be enough to run ms word and all the other programs that i needed to run in win95.

the problem also was that this is incorrect. you can't run anything in win95 properly without at least 16mb ram.

thus, the problem was their fault, for (a) failing to admit that there was indeed a problem and (b) refusing to correct it without extreme amounts of haggling once it was revealed that there was a problem and it was their fault.

as for that old heap... it went to the great mainframe in the sky about a year ago. the rom erased itself, and with packard bell being totally gone, i couldn't've gotten a replacement. i pulled the hard drive and took the rest to the dump. all that's left now is the monitor and speakers, which work fine... although the monitor flickers rather badly. i'm trying to sell that as a bundle for $15 all told, but i haven't had anyone interested yet.

Reading this crap has really got me laughing. You actually went back and made them upgrad your PC after arguing about it for a long time? LOL. I used to have a PB Legend Supreme 1600. Win95, P133, 24MB Win95, Aztec Audio, S3 Graphics, 4x CD, 2GB HD. That combo modem sound card was a real pain in the ass. I eventually found some drivers from Aztech that fixed the sound to stop it from just randomly not working. That machine was eventually upgraded to a K6-2 400 via a PowerLeap adapter and a BIOS from www.mrbios.com and Voodoo3 2000 and 128MB RAM. Ran Q2 smooth as glass.

Bad experiences back when you are a noob with retailers like you had sure do stick with you for a while don't they. I feel the same way about Sears for a reason just about as stupid as yours. Haven't set foot in their stores for 6 yrs now.

Back