SLI Acquired! BUT Buyers BEWARE

J-Mag

2[H]4U
OK first of all I want to say that I am extremely PISSED :mad:

I have been lurking for over a year here and elsewere. I have learned alot and recieved hidden gems of knowledge. So I post one for you.

DO NOT BUY FROM CHUMBO

I Purchased a A8N-SLI and was on the hunt for vidcards. Anyway I happend to stumble across some threads saying chumbo had some 6800GT PCI-E. I jumped at the opportunity.
Anyway I ordered two and ONE just got here.

The invoice says two... Shipping weight is only 2lbs though :mad:

So I was billed for two ( I checked my account and they took out $800)
However, I only recieved one.

Here is the worst part: Because they used a big package to transport the Lone 6800GT PCI-E it bounced around so much a freaking capacitor BROKE OFF!

I am so pissed that I just spent $800 (well $1500 if you count other components, for other BETTER STORES, NOT CHUMBO) and now I cant even freaking use it.

My little Bro's are coming down and I wanted at least two systems up and ready

DO NOT BUY FROM www.chumbo.com

I'm very sorry to hear your sad story. I havent really heard anybody else complain about Chumbo.com though.

Scheizekopf said:
I'm very sorry to hear your sad story. I havent really heard anybody else complain about Chumbo.com though.

With a name like "Chumbo" it's gotta suck. No? :D

Well OBVIOUSLY Mr. Lurker here didn't pick up on THIS "hidden gem of knowledge"...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:...one piece of advice...

no one likes lurkers...they look at our forum and use up our bandwidth and don't contribute back to the community...don't be a lurker...help other ppl out and you will be helped in return...now that you've posted and we know who you are I hope you start posting more often or someone may decide to look up your IP and block it from the forum or something...:eek:...

Anyways welcome to the forums and don't be a stranger/lurker...
THANX
C'YA :cool:

*shrug* if he doesn't feel like he has much to say, there's nothing wrong with lurking until he finds somewhere to contribute. i'd much rather have someone lurk than spam or post crap.

fugu said:
*shrug* if he doesn't feel like he has much to say, there's nothing wrong with lurking until he finds somewhere to contribute. i'd much rather have someone lurk than spam or post crap.

Amen to that!

J-Mag,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with Chumbo, I know that I would be extremely PO'd if I was in your shoes (hell, I'd be pulling hair out no doubt). It wasn't until after I placed my order with them that I saw their poor reseller rating, but I don't think it would have kept me from ordering from them in any case (I'm kind'a stupid that way). As for my experience, at this point I am 100% satisfied. I only wish that you were as fortunate. :(

bfgx2.jpg

Now if only another retailer (to remain nameless) would make good on their claim of shipping me an A8N-SLI tonight... I'll not hold my breath... :rolleyes:

J-MAG Sorry to hear about your misfortune as I would have been extremely upset given your situation. Hopefully they will rectify your order promptly!

Just to offer a different perspective here I did receive the two BFG 6800GT PCI-E cards that I ordered from Chumbo with no problems. They shipped them out the same day and my order status was updated with tracking info promptly.

I have to give Chumbo credit as they charged MSRP ($399) for these cards when they could have easily price gouged like all of the other web retailers. They also threw in FREE Fedex overnight shipping.

I would definitely recommend Chumbo based on my experience.

Well this morning I was trying to order a card from them, it didn't work out as I got to it too late. But they are the only site not sticking it to everyone on PCI-E cards. GameVE is one of the cheaper sites and 6800's are going for almost $500. Other sites have them marked WAY higher than that.

Chumbo has them for $399.99. Exactly what they should be. This isn't defense of them, but I salute the fact they aren't bending people over as bad as some other sites.

bfgx2.jpg

That is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. I just wonder...are two 6800 GTs in SLI alot better than one 6800 Ultra (Say PCI-E flavored)? Also, I am wondering...Do does cards run at higher temperatures than other (Non-SLI) cards due to them both generating heat and staying so close to each other?

Sorry to hear about your Chubby.com experience. Sometimes your lucky, sometimes your not. Are you going to do anything about this? Such as- 1) Call Chubby and deal with the missing card 2) Maybe RMA the broken capacitor card? or have Chubby take a look at it?

Also- In general I never would trust random online stores such as Chubby because you do not their reputation and its a gamble having to deal with them. I only trust (besides big company websites) TigerDirect and Newegg.

Set up those VCs to A8N SLI....tried to raise vcore and wtf, only max at 1.65V, even w/ bios update in the future....still freakin 1.65V and cant do vmod on mobo either :( Amd FX needs more than that to be stable at 3.3Ghz and up. Might as well oc'd cpu to the max, since 2VCs will be runnin' fast....but the mobo can't scale with it...
Edit: it prolly fine with winchester.....

centvalny said:
Set up those VCs to A8N SLI....tried to raise vcore and wtf, only max at 1.65V, even w/ bios update in the future....still freakin 1.65V and cant do vmod on mobo either :(

1.65 V :confused: Isn't that ALOT? The AGP 6800 GT runs at (I forget) 1.33 V? To be able to raise the voltage to 1.5 you would need water cooling. Having two cards running at 1.65 volts in SLI, both generating an insane amount of heat would be just crazy? Or ar the PCI-E cards naturally run at higher voltages and have more effective hs/f?

centvalny said:
It is Vcore for cpu voltage.

Okay, I see. In your original post, before you edited it, it sounded like you wanted to raise the Vcore of the "VC" or videocards.

"no one likes lurkers...they look at our forum and use up our bandwidth and don't contribute back to the community...don't be a lurker...help other ppl out and you will be helped in return...now that you've posted and we know who you are I hope you start posting more often or someone may decide to look up your IP and block it from the forum or something"

dumbest post ever

Wow, that is a sexy picture. Sorry to hear about Chumbo

well I'm crossing my fingers that this works out... I ordered a BFG 6800 gt PCIe from Chumbo before I even saw the link on the homepage. Now I just hope it gets here in one piece...

I was dead set on an x850, but PCMall failed to deliver the goods and this was a much better value.

That comment about how lurkers suck was pretty rude, but anyone with Metallica in their name can't be taken too seriously :p

btw, J-mag, I'll bet you could just solder the capacitor back on... its probably not actually broken, and definitely not rocket science. Good luck with whatever recourse you choose!

Zinn said:
well I'm crossing my fingers that this works out... I ordered a BFG 6800 gt PCIe from Chumbo before I even saw the link on the homepage. Now I just hope it gets here in one piece...

I was dead set on an x850, but PCMall failed to deliver the goods and this was a much better value.

That comment about how lurkers suck was pretty rude, but anyone with Metallica in their name can't be taken too seriously :p

btw, J-mag, I'll bet you could just solder the capacitor back on... its probably not actually broken, and definitely not rocket science. Good luck with whatever recourse you choose!
It will really hard, since manucfacturer used machine to solder it.

thay had 1 price error and not all the bad rateings for it got removed there parteners with BFG and if you click the link on the BFG site it take you right there i some how dought that BFG would still be doing bis with them if thay were realy that bad and it was only one time with one item

Elios said:
thay had 1 price error and not all the bad rateings for it got removed there parteners with BFG and if you click the link on the BFG site it take you right there i some how dought that BFG would still be doing bis with them if thay were realy that bad and it was only one time with one item

Most of the complaints I saw on RR were a 1GB SD flash card for $35... yeah, bad mistake on their part, but how can you possibly honor that for hundreds of orders at such a loss?

Ouch man, it always sucks to deal with bad companies/stores. Hope you get your stuff fixed ASAP. cause from looking at canislupy's picture, your gonna have massive amounts of fun when you get your problem situated :)

canislupy said:
Most of the complaints I saw on RR were a 1GB SD flash card for $35... yeah, bad mistake on their part, but how can you possibly honor that for hundreds of orders at such a loss?
You just suck it up. Maybe next time they'll be more careful.

I got my card from chumbo and it shipped as promised. Overall I would order from them again. Sorry for your bad experience.

Just like everyone else...I am sorry to hear! I would be pretty pissed too. You will have to let us know how Chumbo handles the situation and makes it right. While unfortunate, these things do happen, hopefully chumbo fixes this ASAP for you. Good Luck!

Donk3y said:
Just like everyone else...I am sorry to hear! I would be pretty pissed too. You will have to let us know how Chumbo handles the situation and makes it right. While unfortunate, these things do happen, hopefully chumbo fixes this ASAP for you. Good Luck!

So, I called in this morning and pressed one to talk to sales. This is due to the fact that if you ever want to deal with customer service you have to "leave a message". Anyway the Salesperson said they would refund me of the whole charge and provide an RMA. No let's see if they follow through with the RMA business... Obviously there is no way I could get a replacement card until mid Jan at the earliest do to the availability on these damn things.

I also called BFG just in case. They said that it would be a minimum of 14days for a repair/replacement of the LONE card I received.

Sadly enough I saw that both gameve and buyxg both got XFX 6800GT PCI-E's in stock. Unfortunately it is not as good of a deal at $470 a pop (plus I have to pay tax now).
I ended up ordering one and not two this time because I really don't feel like forking over $1100 for vid cards. It is funny that I have no problem with paying $800.

So I guess I will BEND OVER AND TAKE IT
:eek:

Kinda pisses me off still that I am now paying $130 (overnighted the damn thing) more than I would have at CHUMBO for one card. Being a needy nerd has it's downfalls I guess...

I really want to smack the dumbass freaking minimum wage earner who packed my box... I mean JEEZ, if they sent me at least ONE that WORKED, I would have been mildly compliant. I mena you should have seen the packing job... the FedEX box was about 4 times the size of the BFG box. And there was a little wad of paper in there...

This time of the Year always brings the best out in people :)

Is it just me or do these few days always seem hectic and crazy b4 X-Mas?

oddlycalm said:
Sorry to post this, but the worst may be yet to come...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=846095

oc

Well it really doesn't matter for me at the moment anyway...SLI will wait for me. (Actually, I will wait for the prices on the cards to stabalize, and the BIOS issues or whatever ot be worked out) I only bought one more XFX 6800GT and I got SCREWED on all 3 (1 missing, 1 broken,1 high price).

Hopefully my high price card will be like a Hooker... You get what you pay for!

J-Mag said:
Well it really doesn't matter for me at the moment anyway...SLI will wait for me. (Actually, I will wait for the prices on the cards to stabalize, and the BIOS issues or whatever ot be worked out) I only bought one more XFX 6800GT and I got SCREWED on all 3 (1 missing, 1 broken,1 high price).

Hopefully my high price card will be like a Hooker... You get what you pay for!
Dude,, I know your pain. Buying bleading edge always has it's problems. Let us know how the board works out. I hear the PCI lock doesn't work and would like a confirmation.

valkyre said:
I hate you. :D

fx55.jpg

Uh oh, now what will you think of me?!?! :D

FedEx update on my motherboard... delayed beyond our control... yay, happy holidays me. Actually, I think they do deliver tomorrow... so all hope is not lost.

Metallica_Band said:
^^^
That's it...expect me to rob ur house tomorrow...lol...jk...

Shh.. I'm coming with you.. notice he has two of everything.. you take 1 Raptor and 1 6800GT, and I'll take one each too.
;) :p :D

canislupy said:
FedEx update on my motherboard... delayed beyond our control... yay, happy holidays me. Actually, I think they do deliver tomorrow... so all hope is not lost.
With all that uber components air cooling will put the power of fx55 on leash. Open the door for the speed demon of your fx55 with phase changer cooling ;)
3400-3.JPG

canislupy said:
fx55.jpg

Uh oh, now what will you think of me?!?! :D

Looks like you were going for the same setup as myself... Although I went cheap on my Proc, cause I heard the FX-57 is coming out Q1 2005. Are you missing the A8N-SLI?

I can let you know if the XP-120 fits, cause I picked up one too...

Another Curiosity: Why didn't you get the NCQ drives? I think they might beat Raptor performance. (Definately not in acces time but who cares?)

ALso, I brought My camera home, but these pics are freaking huge? Is there a low cost method (or one built into XP) where i can rezise them? I wanna post the pics of my jacked up BFG card.

J-Mag said:
ALso, I brought My camera home, but these pics are freaking huge? Is there a low cost method (or one built into XP) where i can rezise them? I wanna post the pics of my jacked up BFG card.
Open your pic. file with paint and go to image then to stretch/skew

Back