SLI 8800gt: worth it?

lolivegarden

Weaksauce
Hi,
I'm thinking of upgrading my machine, I currently have a 8800gt, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to get another 8800gt and SLI them, maybe a used one, or I should just forget about the idea and just buy a newer one.

I forgot to mention that money is an issue, I don't want to spend more than 1K and I have to buy everything except accessories, monitor and HDs.

what I'm trying to figure out is if the two 8800gt's will give enough performance for gaming.

what are the specs of your other parts. if you moving to 775 i wouldn't even bother with an nvidia chipset.

no, not anymore. what res do you game at and what is your new setup going to be?

ok, I game at 1920x1200 and I haven't looked into MB's or CPUs... I was trying to figure this out to know what kind of Mobo to buy.

this is really a personal call.

I love SLI because I can pull out my second card and put it in another computer for a LAN party or something like that. But if you have no use for a second computer most people recommend non sli setups it's cheaper for the most part.

ok, I game at 1920x1200 and I haven't looked into MB's or CPUs... I was trying to figure this out to know what kind of Mobo to buy.

Ok, as you don't have an sli board now forget. if you want dual cards go with and intel board and crossfire. if your going to an i7 platform then look at the nvidia boards. and for 2.3mp you will be better off making sure you have more video memory then the 512mb. if your considering AMD (first time is years I have seriously said this) most any 790fx one will work fine. with the phenom 940 its actually a decent choice. of course so is a P45 board with a nice C2Q.

what is your budget?

1K is my budget, this doesn't include the monitor, HDs, Mouse and KB, nor DVD drive.

your good to go really, you can put quite a setup for that. if this is largely a gaming machine I would do something like this

case of your choice 120
Q9400 229
Foxconn ELA LGA 775 Intel P45 100 dollars AR.
4gb of OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR1066 44 dollars AR
corsair PSU 750XT 100 dollars
4870X2 for 400 dollars

right at a grand.

for an amd system you can do the same but just get a 940 and 790FX motherboard.

Back