SLI 768 and 1024MB cards????

mzs_biteme

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi there...
Quick Q: I got a Galaxy 460GTX with 768M, and I wanted to purchase another Galaxy card to SLI for BF3, but my local store only carries 1024M versions now. Can I still SLI them, and if so, is there gonna be any side effects to having uneven VRAM ammounts?

The two cards have other differences other than the memory size. The memory bus on the 768MB card is 192 bit vs. 256 bit on the 1GB card. Plus the latters GPU has 32 ROPs vs 24 on the 768MB. So I don't think it's going to work.

From the nvidia SLI FAQ:

-----Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
-----No. For example, an XXXGT 512MB cannot be paired with a XXXGT 1GB in an SLI configuration.

That info may not be correct as the FAQ 'seems' a bit out of date.

^^^ Well craptastic.....:(
What about mixing another manufacturer card in, like a 768mb eVga 460GTX....?

adding another gtx460 768mb is not going to let you run any higher settings in BF 3. 768mb is not enough vram to run higher settings that what a single gtx460 is already capable of.

adding another gtx460 768mb is not going to let you run any higher settings in BF 3. 768mb is not enough vram to run higher settings that what a single gtx460 is already capable of.

This ^^, however if all you want is more fps at the same settings then your good to go.

Our engineers confirmed that they'll work, but will be limited to 768mb per card.

GTX 460 768Mb models have been completely phased out. So you might have a hard time finding one.

I currently have an SLI GTX 460 768Mb and I play at 1080p. I use high settings except for MSAA and texture at medium. If you can find a another card for low price, it seems like a good idea.

I will be cautious though, the rest of your computer has to be up to pretty decent standards. I recently found out that my dual core chip is not enough to give me smooth gameplay. In fact, all the FPS drops that I've experienced have been due to the CPU not being able to cope.

So bear that in mind.

Are you sure about that?:confused:

I think you are wrong.;)

It works. The GTX 460 both use the exact same GPU's. The same question was asked when they were first released, and yes, they do work together. The 1gb card will just be limited to 768 mb.

It works. The GTX 460 both use the exact same GPU's. The same question was asked when they were first released, and yes, they do work together. The 1gb card will just be limited to 768 mb.

I think that is news to me. I know that you can use them interchangeably as a physX cards.

I don't think there is any risk in trying, so I guess i'll give it a try

why waste your money for that though when your current 768mb card will still limit you to 768mb? you will not be able to turn up any more settings in BF 3 with just 768mb anyway.

didnt they make hybrid sli, so you can sli two different video cards together? i know i used it for my m3n78-vm (8200 onboard) and a 280, then later a 460

You've said that twice already in this thread, where does the OP say anything about turning up the settings?
because someone else seems interested in doing it so I replied to them too. and I think just common sense would tell you that someone adding another card would want to increase performance and/or turn up settings if possible.

I have never seen it work,this is a first for me.

Back