sli 470s vs 2560x1600

Fritzz

[H]ard|Gawd
Been working on getting a 3rd Dell 2407, but just not really sure if I want to run the hardware to get decent fps out of NV surround. I am a bit of a snob when it comes to quality. I want full resolution with 60fps+ and anything else I can throw on there. Wouldn't be on [H] if I didn't expect that right?

So my question is, do you think my current setup will handle the fps on a Dell 30" @ 2560x1600 and still maintain my standards? BF3 is the main game I am playing right now and my current rig can easily average 85fps in multiplayer.

Rig in sig below.

7680x1600 is a lot more resolution to push than 2560x1600...Don't expect to be able to run BF3 at that resolution you will be VRAM throttled big time.

7680x1600 is a lot more resolution to push than 2560x1600...Don't expect to be able to run BF3 at that resolution you will be VRAM throttled big time.

Really this is what I was thinking, and don't really have the cash flow to run on the bleeding edge of video cards 3 x 580, etc. Just wanted to hear from some 30" monitor owners to see what they have been getting. Hoping someone will want to trade me a 30" for my two 24" and some cash.

I just want to make sure if I get a 30" I don't have to spend more money on video cards right away.

I ran bf3 at 2560x1600 with 2 gtx480's for a bit, was fine. They were watercooled and slightly o/c'ed though but if yours are o/c'ed shouldn't be a problem if you turn down AO and AA.

Been working on getting a 3rd Dell 2407, but just not really sure if I want to run the hardware to get decent fps out of NV surround. I am a bit of a snob when it comes to quality. I want full resolution with 60fps+ and anything else I can throw on there. Wouldn't be on [H] if I didn't expect that right?

So my question is, do you think my current setup will handle the fps on a Dell 30" @ 2560x1600 and still maintain my standards? BF3 is the main game I am playing right now and my current rig can easily average 85fps in multiplayer.

Rig in sig below.

So you are looking at either running 3) 2407's for a total of 5760x1200, or a single 30" at 2560*1600. Is that correct?

2) 470s in SLI will not be enough for the first scenario, not with the type of requirements you are talking about. That's almost 7 million pixels.

However, they would passable on the single 30" (4 million pixels).

Yeah I pretty much figure the 2 - 470s aren't going to hack it for surround. But I really don't want to drop a bunch of money on video cards to do so. So figure a 30 can get me more real estate over a single 24 and my current setup should be able to handle it. Atleast that's he idea.....

Yeah I pretty much figure the 2 - 470s aren't going to hack it for surround. But I really don't want to drop a bunch of money on video cards to do so. So figure a 30 can get me more real estate over a single 24 and my current setup should be able to handle it. Atleast that's he idea.....

Sounds like a good plan. Surround gaming also really stresses your cards like nothing else. Those 470's would be putting off some epic heat in that setup. I run 3x1080 with GTX 570 SLI and they run much, much warmer than they ever did with a single monitor.

my 470s still handle 5760x1080 res pretty ok... I can't use AA on anything recent but aside from that they do pretty well, which is obviously a subjective thing. ...and yes, they run hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.. well, lots of heat dumps out of my radiator but the cards themselves peak at about 55c max.. other things, they overclocked to 820/1900 and I haven't tested them with BF3 but Skyrim performs acceptably on them with most of the IQ settings maxed... Alan Wake is the first game I really felt like I had to sacrifice more IQ than I wanted to to get the performance into an acceptable range. booo. :p

Anyways.. I think the plan for a solo 30 would be best. That's a lot of real estate and no bezel issues and a better usable desktop (not using surround).

Back