SLI - 2 30" Dells

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
Working on my next system, and haven't followed all of the details on SLI, Quad-SLI etc. I do alot of engineering/CAD stuff on my machine- thus the machine pays for it'sself.

I'm looking at building a Dual Xeon machine with dual SLI Cards, and long story short, 2 Dell 30" LCD's.

So the question is, If I'm trying to drive these 2 screens, will the following components work together?

Four cards plugged into 2 PCI-X slots (1 16x, 1 4x within a 16x slot), utilizing 2 x 2 SLI bridges; will they drive these monitors- basically 2 video cards per monitor- at a level the price implies?

Mobo: http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7525/X6DA3-G2.cfm

Vid Cards: 2 x http://www.nvidia.com/page/qfx_uhe.html 4500 - X2

Screens: 2 x http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/monitor_3007wfp?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

SLi disables all but one video port. I have never worked with Quad-SLi, so it may allow you do do two independant SLi configs, but I don't know.

You may also want to research if a Single Card SLi will work in a X4 slot.

Dew's got good questions, ask Nvidia for the answers. They'll gladly tell you about the abilities of their super wallet sucker 3000 plus.

I say just buy it and make a post about how it works. :)

The 4500 is over 2 yr. old. They are totally out dated and cost more than the 7900GTX, which is cheaper and much faster, better performance, and more quiet.

Um - the Quadro 4500 has the same heatsink as 7900gtx, and the quadro 4500 is essentially a 7800gtx, but with 512mb of ram

chinesepiratefood said:
Um - the Quadro 4500 has the same heatsink as 7900gtx, and the quadro 4500 is essentially a 7800gtx, but with 512mb of ram

It's based around the 7900 core not the 7800.

chinesepiratefood said:

not totally true, if you look at it in games is doesn't hold up.
althought the base might be similar the performace is much different.

dtess17 said:
not totally true, if you look at it in games is doesn't hold up.
althought the base might be similar the performace is much different.

It doesn't hold up because it uses different drivers and has tweaks to improve the applications it's designed for, 3d modeling, CAD, DV production, etc.

Funny how most 3D CAD apps run (almost) fine on a "game card" in my experience, but CAD cards SUCK for games.....

I am more interested in stability, and CAD / multiscreen / high resolution performance. Also, multimedia is important- like watching DVD's (ahem.. images of DVD's). Gaming is secondary.

Sure, I bet a set of gaming cards will perform better than a CAD derivative; but I find it hard to believe that performance will be 'bad' in gaming considering the horsepower. Someone please tell me otherwise.

jen4950 said:
I am more interested in stability, and CAD / multiscreen / high resolution performance. Also, multimedia is important- like watching DVD's (ahem.. images of DVD's). Gaming is secondary.

Sure, I bet a set of gaming cards will perform better than a CAD derivative; but I find it hard to believe that performance will be 'bad' in gaming considering the horsepower. Someone please tell me otherwise.

it is a matter of firmware and driver optimizations.

As it was posted before, game cards can do CAD. Not true for the reverse.

I think i 7800GTX or something similar should drive your monitors just fine.

SLI disables multi monitor support. But you can use one card per monitor.

dtess17 said:
it is a matter of firmware and driver optimizations.

As it was posted before, game cards can do CAD. Not true for the reverse.

I think i 7800GTX or something similar should drive your monitors just fine.

SLI disables multi monitor support. But you can use one card per monitor.

That was the idea- Stupid question time: I noticed that the Dells have 2 DVI cables- so if I run SLI on each card, will the card recognize that the two cables are driving the same screen? Or am I chasing my tail here?

[edit] the dual link thing-[/edit]

Back