SLI 1080 monitoring in DOOM

Medal

n00b
Hey guys,

I'm trying to make sure my SLI 1080s are working in DOOM, but I can't find or get to work any in-game monitoring tools. I use GPU tweak ii for overlocking my ASUS OC-edition 1080s, but I don't see a OSD option in that tool. So i tried closing GPU tweak completely, and installed MSI afterburner with Riva Tuner...but still nothing in game with DOOM.

Any ideas? I've only tried this in Vulkan so far, and just uninstalled msi and riva so I have no idea if it'll work in opengl, but before I waste time trying it there, just wondering if there is another way for me to see if SLI is working in DOOM vulkan.

Thanks.

Enable logging in the Sensors tab of GPU-Z. You can then check the load history for each card.

EDIT: Wanted to add that you should not be running multiple programs to monitor your video cards at the same time! It's fine if you use GPU Tweak and GPU-Z together, but you should uninstall MSi Afterburner and any other programs you installed to check SLI (or at least prevent them from starting).

The driver also has a basic indicator that you can enable, however I don't know if this works in Vulkan. It will show a vertical bar on the left side of the screen while gaming. The bar will fill green when SLI balance increases.
upload_2016-12-7_10-46-7.png

upload_2016-12-7_10-46-56.png

Thanks and yes, I removed all but GPU-Z and GPU tweak ii....so the SLI bar doesn't work in DOOM, and i'm not sure how to get the log to show both cards at the same time...meaning I can run the game and show one card kicking on, but not both. Also when i start the game with GPU-Z on, it crashes once I actually get in game? Lol not sure wtf is happening here.

Haven't heard of that one before. Where did you download it from? Does it crash if you leave logging disabled?

You can check without logging to file. Have the GPU-Z window up on the desktop with the Sensors tab visible and run the game. Alt-tab to GPU-Z, or wait until you exit the game, and check the sensors. You can switch between the two video cards using the list box on the bottom of the window.

Enable logging in the Sensors tab of GPU-Z. You can then check the load history for each card.

EDIT: Wanted to add that you should not be running multiple programs to monitor your video cards at the same time! It's fine if you use GPU Tweak and GPU-Z together, but you should uninstall MSi Afterburner and any other programs you installed to check SLI (or at least prevent them from starting).

The driver also has a basic indicator that you can enable, however I don't know if this works in Vulkan. It will show a vertical bar on the left side of the screen while gaming. The bar will fill green when SLI balance increases.

I never knew about that feature but couldn't they have thought of displaying that in another way? That green bar is hideous and obstructive. Who wants to see a giant green bar while they're gaming. Whoever thought of this green bar as a good idea at NVIDIA needs to get their head checked. I use Precision and even when the OSD doesn't work it still displays on my G510 keyboard. Although its not a mechanical keyboard I can't do without the screen. I choose mushy keys over mechanical and no display.

I never knew about that feature but couldn't they have thought of displaying that in another way? That green bar is hideous and obstructive. Who wants to see a giant green bar while they're gaming. Whoever thought of this green bar as a good idea at NVIDIA needs to get their head checked. I use Precision and even when the OSD doesn't work it still displays on my G510 keyboard. Although its not a mechanical keyboard I can't do without the screen. I choose mushy keys over mechanical and no display.
I think it was originally used as a piece of marketing material when NVIDIA SLI was first introduced, and they kept it visible in the release drivers. It's an easy and quick way to see the impact, especially to those on a show floor.

Haven't heard of that one before. Where did you download it from? Does it crash if you leave logging disabled?

You can check without logging to file. Have the GPU-Z window up on the desktop with the Sensors tab visible and run the game. Alt-tab to GPU-Z, or wait until you exit the game, and check the sensors. You can switch between the two video cards using the list box on the bottom of the window.

No, not with logging disabled, only enabled. The hard part about alt-tabbing is I can't tell if the second card's speed is changing at all....does anyone know if DOOM works with SLI out of the box? If it does, than I'm sure it is for me, I just can't find that answer anywhere.

Did I miss where Doom started supporting SLI / Crossfire?

It doesn't specifically state that anywhere I've seen, but all the different conversations I've read seem to point to that, so long as you have the latest drivers etc.

I just did a Google search restricted to the last week and I'm not seeing overall evidence that it's enabled. Per the Vulkan Wiki entry it mentions that multi-GPU support was promised during SIGRAPH 2016 but nothing concrete has been confirmed or denied by the developer.

Reactions: Medal
like this
On my setup ( 2x 980, 1440p144 Gsync ) OGL SLI works well enough. Scaling not great, but experience is better than single gpu.

The trick in my case was setting frame cap I could lock in most scenes. 100 fps in RTSS.

Single 980 runs between 65-95 fps. SLI 80-120fps.

Not sure if its a gsync + sli issue in this game, but when frame rate fluctuates there's judder much-like 60hz vsync without cap in place.

I've only played briefly but I can confirm SLI works in Doom as well maxed out at 4k@60fps

On my setup ( 2x 980, 1440p144 Gsync ) OGL SLI works well enough. Scaling not great, but experience is better than single gpu.

The trick in my case was setting frame cap I could lock in most scenes. 100 fps in RTSS.

Single 980 runs between 65-95 fps. SLI 80-120fps.

Not sure if its a gsync + sli issue in this game, but when frame rate fluctuates there's judder much-like 60hz vsync without cap in place.

Hmm, likewise gonna try this out myself! Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.

I've only played briefly but I can confirm SLI works in Doom as well maxed out at 4k@60fps

Did you do what skiddierow did or something else?

As far as I know sli has never worked with doom.. if it now does please state what drivers your using.

Currently have SLI 1080's and it doesn't seem to work for Doom, using the latest driver, even though I went to the NVIDIA Control Panel application setting and tried to set SLI Rendering mode to "Use Global Setting", for some reason it will not let me use that setting and will default to "Force alternate frame setting 2" which makes Doom run horribly. Can only use a single card with this game, SLI doesn't work for me at all.

Currently have SLI 1080's and it doesn't seem to work for Doom, using the latest driver, even though I went to the NVIDIA Control Panel application setting and tried to set SLI Rendering mode to "Use Global Setting", for some reason it will not let me use that setting and will default to "Force alternate frame setting 2" which makes Doom run horribly. Can only use a single card with this game, SLI doesn't work for me at all.

Whatever the latest drivers are the ones before that as well. For the most part SLI runs fine and at a stable 60 FPS but there are random crashes when I turn on AA above FX and some screen flickering in random places. I dunno why it isn't working for you and eclypse. Did you install the latest updates? I know the original version had no SLI support but it was later added with an update (to the game)

Did you try it outside of Vulcan? you'd have better luck with OpenGL in testing.

You can get an OSD through afterburner, but you have to enable each individual value you want monitored. Go into the settings menu under the "monitoring" tab, should have a list of things like gpu usage, temperature, etc. Select the ones you want to see and click the "Show on OSD" button. This way I'm able to monitor my gpu usage through the OSD while playing. Doom uses SLI just fine for me

I thought my GTX 1070s in SLI were enough but once I got the hell level I started seeing FPS dip into the 50s likely due to a ton of particle effects but still my GPU usage wasn't that high...in the 60s. Not sure what's the bottleneck...likely poor SLI scaling

Back