Sleeving power supply

lollerskater69

[H]ard|Gawd
How much sleeving do I need for my ATX connector, 8 pin, and a couple of pci-e connectors? Average length.

If you're willing to spend the money, there are some great kits on this site:

http://store.murdermod.com/murderware/sleeving-kits.htm

The quality of the sleeving is top notch, they give you the right diameter sleeving, shrink wrap, and everything you'd need to do your entire power supply. If you don't have a pen remover, they can also sale you one.

There is no standard length for PSU cables, so you'll have to measure your wires or look up your PSU specs in order to find out how much length you need.

I sleeved my Corsair HX1000 and used about 100 feet just on the power wires alone.

My breakdown (each cable fully individually sleeved):

24 pin x 2 feet = 48 feet
8 pin x 2 feet = 16 feet
2x 8 pin pci-e (2ft) = 32 feet

Thats a total of 96 feet alone. If you only half sleeve each cable then you can significantly reduce the amount you use. The murderMod kits include larger sleeving for those transitions if you need. Also make sure you get thin walled heat shrink, that way you can tuck it into the connector and have a super clean look. Hope this helps.

Yea, I'm thinking of getting a revolution 1050, but only half-sleeving the wires...

Putting it all in an Lian X500B with an x58 Classified and 920... air cooling for now and probably put a 2 x 120mm up front and 120mm on the back and watercool everything... (including 2 new GPU's when they come out this summer hopefully) 2x 5870 or GTX300... whichever is the best performance/dollar...

Should be a fun project :)

hey blazestorm, do you think a revolution 1050 will fit in an x500 without an extension? I'm thinking the same exact setup but worried I wont be able to use the 2 lower HD cages with a 7.5 inch PSU like the revolution.

hey blazestorm, do you think a revolution 1050 will fit in an x500 without an extension? I'm thinking the same exact setup but worried I wont be able to use the 2 lower HD cages with a 7.5 inch PSU like the revolution.

Well I think it'll be a tight fit, people say the 1000HX needs a slight extension and it's about 8"

I wouldn't mind the extension though... but was hoping to avoid it too :)

I also contacted Enermax, it's still covered under warranty even if you re-sleeve all the cables (murdermod style or whatever) it's just you won't get your PSU repaired, they send you a new replacement... which is both good and bad I guess... you get a new PSU, but lost all your sleeving work (I guess you could remove it if you wanna save the sleeving, problem is you'd have to cut off the heatshrinked ends and now your pieces are about an inch shorter then last time :eek:

I actually used a picture of BlueAqua's PSU when I was asking Enermax, just to clarify... they said as long as you're not modifying the power supply itself, they don't care about sleeving/wires/ends

But anyways...

Well I think it'll be a tight fit, people say the 1000HX needs a slight extension and it's about 8"

I wouldn't mind the extension though... but was hoping to avoid it too :)

I also contacted Enermax, it's still covered under warranty even if you re-sleeve all the cables (murdermod style or whatever) it's just you won't get your PSU repaired, they send you a new replacement... which is both good and bad I guess... you get a new PSU, but lost all your sleeving work (I guess you could remove it if you wanna save the sleeving, problem is you'd have to cut off the heatshrinked ends and now your pieces are about an inch shorter then last time :eek:

I actually used a picture of BlueAqua's PSU when I was asking Enermax, just to clarify... they said as long as you're not modifying the power supply itself, they don't care about sleeving/wires/ends

But anyways...

That's great to hear, and thanks for checking with Enermax Blazestorm. I wonder what other manufacturers policies are, but I bet the good ones are similar.

Yea I was worried they'd shoot me down... makes you kinda nervous about spending $50 on sleeves, another 6+ hours (I dunno how long it'll really take) to sleeve it... then if something goes wrong down the line, you're out $250+ on the nice PSU and $50 on the sleeving kit... but now I know Enermax is cool with it...

This way you're only out time/money spent on sleeving...

I sleeved my Corsair HX1000 and used about 100 feet just on the power wires alone.

My breakdown (each cable fully individually sleeved):

24 pin x 2 feet = 48 feet
8 pin x 2 feet = 16 feet
2x 8 pin pci-e (2ft) = 32 feet

Thats a total of 96 feet alone. If you only half sleeve each cable then you can significantly reduce the amount you use. The murderMod kits include larger sleeving for those transitions if you need. Also make sure you get thin walled heat shrink, that way you can tuck it into the connector and have a super clean look. Hope this helps.

I also have the Corsair 1000W power supply and used 1' on each of the 23 (yeah 1 was blank) wires. Question before I start applying the heat shrink: how do you deal with the transition back to the clump of wires?

Back