Sleeping dogs definitive edition

spintroniX

Gawd
Have / are any of you going to get it?

It's on sale at 14.99 on Steam so I was considering it. I have the original but no DLC

What added to the PC version anyway? The original with the HD pack already looked amazing

I never bought the original so this version will be my 'definitive' edition

I love the game a ton but I'll only buy it when it's below $15. I already own most of the DLC, so its disappointing to see it being sold for the discounted price point.

Would also like to know...

It includes all the DLC and I think some extra content. Worth it if you never bought it or don't have any of the DLC. (It's 50% for owners of sleeping dogs AFAIK)

I think this release is like Metro Redux, i.e. for the benefit of the PS4/XB1 crowd rather than the PC crowd. They just tossed it on PC for the potential of more revenue.

I'll wait until this drops to $5.

Seems like a rip-off because I already bought the original game. (come to think of it, I believe I got it for $5 during steam sale, so that would add up to $10 total)

I think this release is like Metro Redux, i.e. for the benefit of the PS4/XB1 crowd rather than the PC crowd. They just tossed it on PC for the potential of more revenue.

More graphical features and they integrated all of the DLC into the game.

Metro 2033 Redux actually had some really nice graphical and gameplay changes. Last Light not so much but I wouldn't say the 2033 Redux didn't change the PC version.

Metro 2033 Redux actually had some really nice graphical and gameplay changes. Last Light not so much but I wouldn't say the 2033 Redux didn't change the PC version.
I didn't say it wasn't changed, but this release was definitely not made with the PC consumer in mind.

It includes all the DLC and I think some extra content. Worth it if you never bought it or don't have any of the DLC. (It's 50% for owners of sleeping dogs AFAIK)

I was looking more along the lines of graphical enhancements, models, textures and all that.
Cause the PC version already has HD textures, did they do anything visually to consider this version "definitive", over the vanilla PC version that is already "high res".

What am I getting for my money if I already own the original(other than 50% off)?

My understanding is that the PC version had the HD textures as a free DLC, and (at least on Steam) the DLC Collection which had all of the DLC in one package; the Definitive Edition brought the HD Textures and all DLC in one package with the original game for the consoles, and now the PC version of the Definitive Collection is out so all platforms have the same thing.

The Steam version of the DLC Collection appears to be gone and no longer available for purchase now that the Definitive Edition is out. The Definitive Edition is at a price that is similar to what the DLC Collection used to be.

If you bought the original game and the DLC Collection (or bought all the DLC you wanted separately), then you don't need the DD. If you have only the original game and no DLC, getting all the DLC for $15 may be of questionable value, but it will probably drop down to $7.50 within a year if you're the patient sort.

Reviews of the various DLCs were a real mixed bag. Most players seemed to only like a few of them, and which ones they liked depended on the player.

Edit: they've added more than just HD textures to the PC version, so many of my assumptions were incorrect. See cageymaru's post below.

Last edited:
The new version does have some improvements graphically over the HD version before. Here is an article explaining it all, but it compares the XBOX, PS4, and PC at once. The new enhancements cost performance also. The system in the article went from 75 fps in the original HD textured game to 50 fps in the remake. I think they added in new hair for some of the characters. The new game client is 64 bit and I don't exactly remember the old client being 64 bit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-face-off

i saw some comparisons between the original and this version. the original looks better. maybe theres a video on youtube with the comparison.

i saw some comparisons between the original and this version. the original looks better. maybe theres a video on youtube with the comparison.

How? The new one could look better, but it still looks better than the original.

What's new in the Definitive Edition of Sleeping Dogs?

Graphical improvements include new fog, mist and smog effects; "completely redone" lighting that lends the game a higher-contrast look; secondary animations for objects on bodies, like a chain hanging from a person's neck; additional frames of animation, for smoother movement; hand-modeled upgrades to characters; extra neon signs throughout Hong Kong; and animated lighting for those signs...Sochan pointed out that the sign lighting is something that really sets apart the Definitive Edition: Not even the original PC version had animated neon signs...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/14/6978781/sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-preview-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition PC Impressions

First things first: the install footprint. Sleeping Dogs apparently takes up about 11.7GB on my hard drive, while Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition is gobbling up 17.2GB...the interface actually seems to be improved, in menus at least...The default PC controls are significantly more sensible...The DLC also seems to be integrated much, much better than before, too...

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/10/sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-pc-impressions

Last edited:
The improvements do have me wanting to get it, but I'll wait for it go on sale during the Steam Christmas sale.

Make me want to get it... probably will ;).

Just an FYI if you're on the fence about picking this up:
The $15 promotion for owners of the original ends after October 31. The full price of the game is $30, meaning if it goes on sale during Christmas it's probably still not going to be cheaper than $15. Still better than the full $60 price tag on the console version.

picked up the Definitive Edition during the current Steam Holiday sale for $10.19...never played the original release...looking forward to it

HAHAHAHAHA Sequel... that's a good one!

I doubt SE has the brains to make another one. All they've been doing with it is that shitty online game or whatever.

Have / are any of you going to get it?

It's on sale at 14.99 on Steam so I was considering it. I have the original but no DLC

As someone that has the definitive edition for XB1 and the original on the PC. I would say just buy the DLCs for the original. The only real difference is that the DLCs are distributed throughout the game, where as the original you get the DLC items all at once.

GMG had it for $10 a few days ago and they also had a 20% coupon live at the time. I ended up getting it for a little over $7. I have no idea when I'll get around to playing it though.

You best do it soon. It's a great game. Before you get too enamored by the newer games. Though, I'd say the game still looks great today.

You best do it soon. It's a great game. Before you get too enamored by the newer games. Though, I'd say the game still looks great today.

Sure does. The Definitive Edition maxed out looks fantastic and runs well.

I just can't get into this game for some reason...completed the first few missions but it just doesn't pull me in...I like it but am bored at the same time...I actually enjoyed Watch Dogs but something about this game just doesn't do it for me...maybe I'll give it another go after a few weeks

My experience was the opposite; I put down Elite: Dangerous so I could give this game a shot and I've been enjoying it immensely. Maybe it's the kung fu geek in me or the funny accents, but I really like this game!

I bought the DE version before the promo sale ended a while a go. It's well worth the money & I think I'll always enjoy playing it.

I like the story and the fighting mechanics but the graphics are somewhat disappointing...character models are weak and a lot of bad textures...lighting and atmosphere are top notch though...I'll give it another go this evening

I recommend playing the standalone DLC first since they give rewards for the main game.

I recommend playing the standalone DLC first since they give rewards for the main game.

didn't they integrate the DLC into the main game with the Definitive Edition?...only Year of the Snake which takes place after the events of the main game and the Northpoint one are listed separately now

took me awhile to get into but I'm now really enjoying the game...I think once I sang my first karaoke song I was hooked :D driving mechanics kinda suck but other then that the game is a lot of fun

Ha! I'm glad you've got more joy out of it than before. I love it since it's the Asian equivalent of GTA. I'm hoping GTA5 winds up being worth it... I can't wait for Sleeping Dogs 2 though.

took me awhile to get into but I'm now really enjoying the game...I think once I sang my first karaoke song I was hooked :D driving mechanics kinda suck but other then that the game is a lot of fun

What about the driving sucks? The only thing I thought was odd, but no less fun is the ram mechanic. But as far as I know, it's only to your benefits because npcs don't use it.

The original version had a weird mechanic where the screen would shake while driving and made the game "feel" very weird. They actually patched that effect out bit by bit and it's only barely there now. Closer to release day it was almost unbearable.
I had a blast with the game, though. If the eventual GTA5 port looks and works as well as Sleeping Dogs did, I'll be more than happy.
Supposedly there IS a sequel in the works. You'll probably have to dig through the [H] archives, but people posted links to the announcement.

Back