Sleep Number Considered Integrating Audio Snoring Detection Technology into Beds

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Sleep Number added a few interesting lines to its privacy policy that detailed the audio data collection capabilities of its $3,000 beds. In fact these few spurious lines were indeed false as a company rep confirmed that the current lineup of Sleep Number beds do not have this capability. The lines were subsequently removed from its current privacy policy. The Sleep Number representative did confirm that the company was indeed working on a prototype bed that has the capability to monitor snoring and thus the reasoning for the "audio in your room to detect snoring and similar sleep conditions" lines appearing in the privacy policy.

Once You create a User Profile, We also may collect Personal Information, which may include, among other types of information: Revised or updated User Profile information. Biometric and sleep-related data about how You, a Child, and any person that uses the Bed slept, such as that person's movement, positions, respiration, and heart rate while sleeping. Audio in Your room to detect snoring and similar sleep conditions. Other information You choose to provide to Us by opting in to additional functionality of Our Services, such as Your bedtime routine, so We can send You bedtime notifications and set personalized alarm clocks. If You submit any Personal Information relating to another person, such as Your spouse/partner or Child, You represent that You have the authority to do so and to permit Us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Notice. We may disclose Your Personal Information to Our affiliates, vendors, or business partners who are acting on Our behalf.

I had a sleep number bed and hated it. Before they do this, how about implementing where the bed checks the number set vs what it's at, say every ten minutes. I would go to bed with it at 55 and wonder why my back hurt so bad in the morning, low and behold it was at 85 when I got up. Right in the manual it says the number can change due to barometric pressure and temperature.

"Integrating Audio Snoring Detection Technology into Beds"

I need some of this for my Mrs ;);)

Oh, they'll be monitoring everything.

Buying smart appliances is dumb

"Bed, set my alarm for 6am" "Bed, tell coffee to start at 601am" "Coffee, tell toaster to start at 610am"

You know this is coming for the lazy, entitled and/or showoffs.

I had a sleep number bed and hated it. Before they do this, how about implementing where the bed checks the number set vs what it's at, say every ten minutes. I would go to bed with it at 55 and wonder why my back hurt so bad in the morning, low and behold it was at 85 when I got up. Right in the manual it says the number can change due to barometric pressure and temperature.

we never have this problem.

Not necessarily a bad idea to have a fancy bed that can automatically adjust the positioning as you sleep to stop snoring. This thing could save marriages!

That said, unfortunately this tech will wind up being used to spy on users in their own bedrooms, and thus will be ultimately unsuccessful. The temptation to collect monetizable data from people is way too great for sleazebag corporations.

I don't care who you are. If you collect and monetize data on anyone you are evil.

"Bed, set my alarm for 6am" "Bed, tell coffee to start at 601am" "Coffee, tell toaster to start at 610am"

You know this is coming for the lazy, entitled and/or showoffs.

Only forward had stuff like this. Smart appliances with actual personalities. Except those were helpful and fun

When my wife snores, I yank her pillow from under her head and put it over her face. No smart bed needed. (Might need a divorce lawyer someday...)
I also find that if you remove the blanket, they stop snoring (but end up cussing at you for some odd reason).
Our bed is adjustable (like the good ol' Craftmatic). We tried it to alleviate snoring. It didn't work for either of us. Good to watch TV or read with though.

Or get checked for apnea.

Don't forget UARS too. Plenty of people don't have apnea, but have breathing problems affecting sleep, and when they get their airway treated it leads to a lot of improvements in health issues that seemed unrelated in the public mind. It's become a really hot topic in dentistry because dentists have so many tools to influence the airway non-surgically or surgically. So much so, that if they can get a child who is still growing they can fix airway issues by guiding their facial growth - medical doctors can't do that. ENT's have been spinning their wheels for ages, and it's turning out many of the standard practices (removing tonsils and adenoids) have a high rate of relapse. A lot of ADD/ADHD/Psychiatric diagnosis are caused by or exacerbated by a compromised airway as well.

Anyways, having dug as deep as I have into this topic, the sleep number bed seems like a very misguided investment. If someone is snoring, that's the warning siren that an individual has anatomical issues compromising their airway and are in need of diagnosis and treatment, not a bed to shift body position. There's very little more important to human health than optimal sleep, which isn't going to happen when the body has to struggle to breath.

Your smart sleep number bed will send your contact information to local doctors free of charge. You will be contacted soon to schedule your checkup.

That step is easily skipped and cheaper if you just go to the doctor because you are snoring.

That said, after i got my cpap, i don't snore anymore.

I need cpap bad.

Don't put it off. It really isn't that bad using a machine. Push your doctor for an autoset one with humidifier so that it starts with very little amount of air and it detects when you fall asleep before it goes into treament. So falling asleep doesnt feel like you are blowing into a balloon.

For me it was about the first week or maybe two, sleeping was a bit harder. But after I got used to it, I fall asleep faster now than I ever did. And now I don't feel like I need a nap when I get home from work. Weekend midday naps were also part of my life until i got my cpap, now I don't need those anymore.

This x 10000

I don't have apnea, but my dad does. He put it off and has potentially had early onset dementia triggered by it.

It's really sad.

Don't get brain damage. Get a CPAP.

My dad passed a few years ago (age 62) from what they determined was a heart attack caused by apnea. As starving the heart of oxygen causes it to beat faster and blood pressure skyrockets. This happening every night causes strain on the heart and other systems of the body.

After that I went to get checked because I snore a lot and was found to have it. IIRC I think I had 100ish apnea episodes in a night.

Also I have central apnea, which is where the brain just forgets to send the breathe command to the lungs. Not much can be done for that but thankfully that isn't as severe for me.

Now the bitching part of me. I am disgusted that a company is trying to profit from this without providing any useful help for this potentially life threatening problem.

Back