Sleep mode while downloading?

Hecktec

Limp Gawd
I have a Windows 7 64-bit here. I left a download open overnight and woke up thinking it would have been finished, but it wasn't. It seems that the computer went to Sleep normally even though there was a download running. My current power setting is 'Balanced'.

Is there any way to prevent the computer from going to sleep while downloading but without disabling sleep altogether?

Last edited:
I believe that is program dependent. The program has to be coded to prevent the sleep mode kicking in while its running. Maybe you can check the settings if there is an option preventing sleep mode there.

control panel>hardware and sound > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings

choose "never" under "Put the computer to sleep"

The machine has to be in operational mode to do downloading, period. Sleep/Standby is effectively shutting that potential off even though the machine is technically still on, just in that standby mode waiting for the signal to wake up and resume full operational mode. It's basically like hitting "Pause" till you hit "Play" again.

What the OP is asking for simply can't be done.

The machine has to be in operational mode to do downloading, period. Sleep/Standby is effectively shutting that potential off even though the machine is technically still on, just in that standby mode waiting for the signal to wake up and resume full operational mode. It's basically like hitting "Pause" till you hit "Play" again.

What the OP is asking for simply can't be done.

Agreed, thus my post. You can't have it two ways....well, yet...surely once MS programmers decide they need to be woke up in the early hours...:)

The OP is asking if the Windows can let the download finishes before going to sleep, not downloading while sleeping.

Maybe the OP can use a download accelarator that have such option because most torrent client do have such option such as utorrent. There is an option in utorrent to prevent standby if there is an active torrent. Maybe some download accelerator do have that feature as well.

Get a drinking bird and have it peck at the keyboard overnight.

Back