Slax Linux is Reborn with Version 7.0

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Another MIA Linux distro makes its way back into the light on Monday. Slax Linux has not been updated in three years, but has made a return as a 210 MB download; Codename Green Horn. Slax follows the reintroduction of Damn Small Linux last August after a four year absence.

Version 7.0 includes the newest Linux kernel along with the KDE4 desktop, the GCC compiler, and “lots of other stuff,” all in a download that's just 210MB or so in size.

But why? There's already fifteen vigintillion Linux distros. What could this possibly do that others can't?

But why? There's already fifteen vigintillion Linux distros. What could this possibly do that others can't?

It has a very tiny install/usability footprint.
Compared to other Linux distros, this one is very small, and can be used for quite a few applications.

I'd compare this to KNOPPIX more so than other distros, at least functionality-wise, but that's just me.

Slax is back! That's great news! I've been kinda meh about TinyCore and Puppy Linux.

:eek: When did DSL release a new version though? Even their website is still showing the mega old one.

Slax was great, when most systems only had CD drives. It was such a PITA to work with and update though. I was so happy when BackTrack moved to a Debian/Ubuntu base. I did not miss Slax one bit and am not really sure why they would update it at this point.

It has a very tiny install/usability footprint.
Compared to other Linux distros, this one is very small, and can be used for quite a few applications.

Isn't size more or less irrelevant now, given the state of media capacity these days?

Isn't size more or less irrelevant now, given the state of media capacity these days?

Having gone through the stages of amassing many terabytes of storage space, then squeezing things down to fit onto small-capacity, high-speed SSDs, then settling somewhere in the middle, I can see where the tiny Linux distros serve a purpose. All of a sudden a 64GB SSD doesn't look so mall when you're able to have 58GB of free space (my 64GB SSDs only have 59-and-change usable GB) with a fully functional OS installed.

Not when you're using a slow USB flash drive.
A small-footprint OS makes a huge difference, or on legacy-level hardware.

Not when you're using a slow USB flash drive.
A small-footprint OS makes a huge difference, or on legacy-level hardware.

They aren't changing the software, just loading less of it. The only way it will matter for a slow USB flash drive is installing it or if you use the "load everything to memory". "Load everything to memory" is a great idea if you are using a USB drive and sufficient memory, but might not work on legacy equipment.

I can't say I'd trust non-USB ~1GB hard drives with any data I cared about.

A regular linux install looks like a tiny footprint by windows and available hardware standards: my linux partition (everything but home) is showing ~6GB. It sits in a small ~16G corner of my SSD while games OS (windows 8 preview) can barely make room for a game or two (XP isn't so bloated but doesn't have >DX9). It makes you wonder why current chromebooks sport rotating media when the smallest available SSD will work just fine.

Back