Slackware install

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Once I install Slackware 10.1 - I can't seem to find the correct way to upgrade the kernel. I don't think Slack uses a package manager like Fedora or Debian but there has to be a way to install 2.6.11 on a new version of Slack.

- Anyone know...

Download, extract, make, install?

Get the newest kernel from kernel.org. Extract it in /usr/src. Cd to the new folder, "make menuconfig", make (something, I'm not a linux guy), update lilo/grub.
I might have forgotten a step or two, but that's the basic idea. Rather manual, but it ought to work.

Assuming that slackware doesn't have some mechanism for this, of course.

HHunt

When I go to Kernel.org, I don't know what is what I need. There are a bunch of options and for someone who has never done this before, it's very confusing. I guess I want the 2.6.11.11 kernel but what do I select from the listed hyper link?

Here are all my choices

linux-2.6.11.11.tar.bz2 26-May-2005 22:22 35M
linux-2.6.11.11.tar.bz2.sign 26-May-2005 22:22 248
linux-2.6.11.11.tar.gz 26-May-2005 22:22 44M
linux-2.6.11.11.tar.gz.sign 26-May-2005 22:22 248
linux-2.6.11.11.tar.sign 26-May-2005 22:22 248

Take either one that ends in bz2 or gz, the others are the signatures. Also some basic steps

download it, extract it into /usr/src (as was mentioned) make menuconfig will be fine, but the default config tends to be very lite, so you will need to do alot of configuration. when your done with that, make, then make modules_install . once that is done, copy System.map to /boot/System.map-(kernelversion) so in this case /boot/System.map-2.6.11 should be fine, then copy arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11, then you can edit /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo. Now I would suggest adding another section for the new kernel, so the old one is still in the list just in case.

2.6 is definitely an improvment, but this is still kind of messy compared to FreeBSD. :)

I just did a kernel-only upgrade in FreeBSD, and the steps are:
cvsup /root/standard-supfile (this fetches the source code)
edit /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/KERNELNAME (this takes some knowledge, but there's a working GENERIC provided)
setenv KERNCONF KERNELNAME (Tells the system what kernel config to use)
cd /usr/src; make buildkernel; make installkernel
A reboot later, I've got a 6.0 kernel running nicely on a 5.3-system.

Also, I guess he might want to know exactly what to add to lilo.conf.

You need to do a "make config" or "make menuconfig" but I prefer "make xconfig". Then you do a "make dep" and then "make bzImage". Then you copy/move the compressed kernel image to the boot area, and run lilo, or whatever your boot manager is. I could be wrong, though. This was the procedure I used for Slackware 9.0.

Just read the README in /usr/src/linux.

LazyBastard said:
You need to do a "make config" or "make menuconfig" but I prefer "make xconfig". Then you do a "make dep" and then "make bzImage". Then you copy/move the compressed kernel image to the boot area, and run lilo, or whatever your boot manager is. I could be wrong, though. This was the procedure I used for Slackware 9.0.

Just read the README in /usr/src/linux.
the "make dep" step was removed from the 2.6 series, and is no longer required, and make alone will build bzImage and modules, all you need to do is make modules_install after words to install them.

I am just now getting ready to proceed with the Slackware 10.1 install but the partitioning part is very complex. I don't really know how I should allocate my disk space:

I have a Western Digital 120 GB S-ATA drive and here is how I was going to break it up. Please know that I will not be dual booting and would like to use all the disk space as possible.

/ = 5 GB (Not sure if 5 GB is enough for the / folder?)
/home = 114 GB
/swap = 1 GB (I have 2 GB of PC3200 RAM)

Is this ok?

5Gb for / sounds positively huge. Mine is 700Mb.
OTOH, I guess it's got to have room for /home, which is a symlink to /usr/home for me.

I'd say those numbers look good.

poundofflour said:
your swap partition size is absurd
Not so sound like an ass but rather than poke a stick, you could clearify on your post. Swap size = 1/2 your RAM. As you can see I did the math so how is this "absurd"?

linux generally avoids using the swap partition unless your physical memory is full. since you have 2gb of physical memory, you should choose a more consevative swap size because you will almost never use it. on my system for example, i have only 512mb of memory. my swap partition is 512mb also. i have never filled both of them.

I have filled my swap; it's not pretty. Disk space is cheap, and 1gb is plenty cheap. I have 512MB of ram and 1gb of swap. Here're the current usage stats on my machine:
# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 513800 509348 4452 0 6656 294748
-/+ buffers/cache: 207944 305856
Swap: 1004020 168340 835680

And that's not even working hard. I usually hit quite a bit more swap than that. I guess today's just an off day; I'm only running 3 VMware machines, 9 tabs, and 4 konsoles right now. Yeah, I know, time to buy more memory.

On a disk that big, putting in a 1Gb swap partition isn't exactly a huge loss. Sure, he's not likely to use even half of it anytime soon, but ... why bother? Erring on the side of caution isn't a bad idea.

Back