Skyrim Will Have Infinite Quests, Director Says

Kinsaras

2[H]4U
Skyrim Will Have Infinite Quests, Director Says
By Jason Schreier November 9, 2011

If you like getting bang for your buck, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will give you a nuclear blast.

You’ll never have to stop questing in the upcoming open-world role-playing game, to be released November 11 for Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 3. Skyrim director Todd Howard told Wired.com in a phone interview Monday that the game will feature a never-ending stream of procedurally generated content, giving players an infinite number of things to do.

“The vibe of the game is that it’s something that you can play forever,” Howard said.

The game’s Radiant quest system randomly generates new tasks based on your progress in the game. An innkeeper might ask you to hunt for bandits in a place you haven’t found yet, or an aspiring alchemist could request that you collect 10 undiscovered flowers for his work. Howard claims that the options are endless.

In addition to these minor tasks, Howard says you’ll be able to do extra work for each of the game’s factions, like the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild. Once you complete the scripted quest lines for each group, you can go to their respective hubs and pick up randomly generated missions to steal gems or assassinate shopkeepers across Skyrim’s massive world.

Though some players might not love the idea of endlessly collecting groups of random ingredients, Howard says that Radiant quests play into one of the game’s major strengths: environmental storytelling. Skyrim’s world is sprinkled with secrets and minor bits of narrative that you’ll have to piece together as you explore, an aspect of game design that Howard says the team picked up while working on their last game, Fallout 3.

“With Fallout, it’s not as beautiful a world to everybody,” he said. “We had to find ways to make exploration of [a destroyed wasteland] interesting.”

For Skyrim, Howard says that Bethesda has learned a few new tricks and gotten better at the old ones. The most enjoyable part of the Radiant system won’t be completing quests, he says, it’ll be the things you discover along the way: bandit-infested fortresses, or a terrifying lighthouse.

“The world is probably the one thing that sets [Skyrim] apart from other games,” he said. “It feels really real for what it is … It’s just fun to explore.”

Wired.com’s full review of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be published on Thursday.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/11/skyrim-infinite-quests/

There are plenty of games that have done random quests. I'd rather not quest grind forever though.

Here's how it can be "infinite quests"

The same NPC's just give you the same quests/quest chain over and over.

I think the big thing from this isn't the endless chain of kill and collect quests, but the fact it gets you to explore areas/caves you haven't found or checked out yet and that's the part I like.

What they said...

"Skyrim will have infinite quests"

What I heard...

"Skyrim will tons of meaningless fetch and "kill X of" quests which have no thought put into them"

:p

But really, I dont mind the idea of randomly generated quests as long as they dont FEEL like randomly generated quests and actually feel like they have some significance. If I wanted to do meaningless and ill-thought out tasks all day I'd spend more time at work ;)

because quests in other video games have meaning?

Well, a lot of games have quests for the sake of story progression, some have quests for the purpose of level grinding. A quest that feels like a level grinding quest but doesn't actually provide faster levelling than kill-grinding would be my definition of a meaningless quest.

Reminds me of the quests you can do in Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood, none of them have any meaning to the storyline at all, but you can DO them if you're bored.

However, the quests in of themselves are boring, so that defeats the whole purpose :p

The fact that these are aside each NPC's set quest lines works for me. If they had just replaced the scripted quests with all procedural stuff, it would have been Oblivion dungeon system all over again, just in quest form, but it isn't.

It gives something for the people who keep exploring after their 300th hour, even though they've cleared everything, or nearly everything.

Personally, I get flustered when I have too many open quests at one time. So now I know to go finish some before accepting a hundred more, as the NPC's have the potential to just keep sending me on more quests. Good to know, because I just get lost when I open up a quest book and there is just this huge long list.

I really wish game devs would try to do more unique and interesting things with side quests. Way too much FedEx fetch quests as it is. It's to the point where you just might as well pick up every lootable along the way because you know some minor subquest later on will request 10 of the item in question.

Anyone still remember the stronghold quests from BG2:SoA? Those were the days...

I could see this being interesting for starting characters that don't want to follow the main storyline. I imagine they could have it set up as bounty boards / request boards or simply talking to an innkeeper. Sure the first time through I'd follow the story in Oblivion / Morrowind but on subsequent playthroughs I'd just head off in a random direction and see where it went. I'm sure the main storyline and guild quests are still handcrafted as well.

Whatever.

As long as I still have meaningful quests to do like in the previous games (clans, guilds, main storyline,etc.) then that's fine.

Well, I find the purpose of this (explore new areas or develop new skills maybe) to be justified. Ok, WoW and numerous other RPGs and MMOs have multiple grinding quests but my guess is, this is a step towards having a real auto-generated questing system where fetching stuff or killing stuff isn't the only possible objective.

I would be happy to see a "Radiant v2" system upgraded to include quests based on the lore of the game's world. For example, if you set foot in one given region, you approach NPCs and *everytime* they offer a different quest that will open up the lore for this particular region. It might be difficult to implement in reality, but that's something I would like to see. Having a huge world to explore is pointless if you don't get to see most of it through quests or something. I played WoW for a long time and there are lots of zones you don't go to just because they are too far or useless (storywise).

Anyway, I'll wait to play the game to judge how the system works but I believe the principles behind it are interesting enough.

Don't forget about what the modders bring to the table with quests too. I can remember some really cool quests in Oblivion. One that stands out o me the most was a quest to kill a dragon, it had tons and tons of treasure to loot and was pretty hard to kill.

It's scary how much free time I'm going to blow on this game.

Didn't they make all these same promises about "groundbreaking AI", etc, for the Oblivion release? That didn't work out so great.

Didn't they make all these same promises about "groundbreaking AI", etc, for the Oblivion release? That didn't work out so great.

From an Oblivion press release:

Radiant AI. This groundbreaking AI system gives Oblivion’s
characters full 24/7 schedules and the ability to make their own choices based
on the world around them. Non-player characters eat, sleep, and complete goals
all on their own.

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/620/620559p1.html

This all depends on how many different available parameters there are for the random quests. If it is just three guys give you a different steal X, kill X, etc. quest, then oh well. However, they may have thrown in a lot of different options.

I thought there was an Oblivion mod out there already that did this exact same thing. Randomly generated quests which would send you to new locations based on which areas you had already explored.

Sure these quests are by design going to be more bland and generic but at least they give you an additional incentive to explore new areas. I had actually been hoping that Bethesda would include a way for your character to have a regular "day job" so to speak and I think this new quest system will essentially serve the same purpose. Obviously the feature's not for everyone but neither is fast travel and we all know how that argument goes.

I want there to be a day 1 mod that removes waypoints from the mini map... so bad.

True story - it wasn't until my third full play through of Fallout 3 I noticed it had waypoints... after a friend told me about it. Mind == Blown. Now I can't not notice it. :(

Oh man infinite quests? I'm going to need a bigger hard drive to store all of them.

I want the combat system to feel like im watching a DBZ episode, like the one where Goku goes Super Saiyan! But like in 10 minutes not in 21 episodes.

Back