cageymaru

Fully [H]
The Skyrim Together mod team says that it is ready to release its client for beta testing purposes. Skyrim Together is a mod that allows up to 8 players to adventure together in the Skyrim world. Bethesda blocked the developers from releasing the mod onto Steam. The Skyrim Together mod team is finally ready for their patreon backers to test the closed beta trial. According to PC Gamer, the servers are currently located in Europe, but this may change in the future according to demand.

The closed beta period will be used to test stability and make fixes, and won't last long according to the mod's developers, with an open beta available to everyone following a week or two later. The mod, when released, will feature its own launcher (Bethesda objected to the release of the mod on Steam). The current cap is set at eight players max, though it's possible this may change in the future.

Haven't played the game yet but would be more interested if it was with a group

Would have been very happy with just 3 player, but mo betta I spose

Todd Howard is going to be pissed that it competes against Fallout 76. He'll now released Skyrim Online for $60.

This never made sense to me, I see absolutely no point in turning a single player experience like the ES series into a multiplayer game, the story is focused on you as a player and your experience, bringing others into that experience is just pointless and is self diluting, Isn't this why there is an MMO?

This never made sense to me, I see absolutely no point in turning a single player experience like the ES series into a multiplayer game, the story is focused on you as a player and your experience, bringing others into that experience is just pointless and is self diluting, Isn't this why there is an MMO?

Actually, the number of times I've wanted to venture off exploring with a friend of mine, or perform some teamwork stealth on an enemy camp, or laugh uncontrollably over the way a awesome moment played out, or just show eachother our awesome characters....

Co-Op is different from MMO.

Gamers will say "I want to play this online with friends" and Publishers hear "I WANT A HUGE PAY TO WIN MMO WITH THOUSANDS OF PLAYERS WITH DUMBED DOWN GAMEPLAY AND SERVER ISSUES"

I used to live for Co-Op games. Doom2, Duke3D, C&C Red Alert, Q2CTF, C&C Renegade, UT3, BF2142, etc. This would be no different. MMOs are popular, because you are playing with other players. Most developers forget that.

Actually, the number of times I've wanted to venture off exploring with a friend of mine, or perform some teamwork stealth on an enemy camp, or laugh uncontrollably over the way a awesome moment played out, or just show eachother our awesome characters....

Co-Op is different from MMO.

Gamers will say "I want to play this online with friends" and Publishers hear "I WANT A HUGE PAY TO WIN MMO WITH THOUSANDS OF PLAYERS WITH DUMBED DOWN GAMEPLAY AND SERVER ISSUES"

"or perform some teamwork stealth on an enemy camp" - That is just game breaking considering with a sneak attack you can 1 shot everything other than "bosses" and even then alot of them.

There are co-op games to scratch this itch, try Shadow Warrior 2, Warrhammer Vermantide series, or any other game that is co-op RPG, the insistence to turn ES games into multiplayer is absurd, If Bethesda gave you what you wanted then you would bitch because the story would lose its value and be watered down to nothing, at least *If you were a fan of the series, you would understand that as they would have to make changes to allow a group of players in a game, also I don't need a delicate open world game with buggs getting worse because people insist it needs Co-op.

Tell me was Fallout 76 not enough of a clusterfuck to show how badly this goes, and no its not an MMO(Depends if you consider that Diablo was one of the Largest MMOrpgs labeled at that time as such), servers are locked to the point people are lucky to come across one another.

Point being I seen many franchises ruined at the machinations of so called "fans" that want to turn a game into what they want it to be rather than what it is and what it should be, If you get what you wanted, they would alienate EVERY actual fan of the series and it would NOT be what the series is supposed to be.

I can understand what you want, but there are games for that, the work used to make the mod, they could have started a game franchise with a new game instead of pointlessly trying to reinvent the wheel, and that makes it 10x even more absurd and mindboggling.

Square peg round hole......People should have learned this already.

I used to live for Co-Op games. Doom2, Duke3D, C&C Red Alert, Q2CTF, C&C Renegade, UT3, BF2142, etc. This would be no different. MMOs are popular, because you are playing with other players. Most developers forget that.

Those were all Multiplayer games you listed or "Co-Op", this is taking a singleplayer game and adding or shoehorning something that never belonged into it. Thus taking something beyond its intended use.

The greatest part of playing a single player game....NO OTHER PLAYERS, NO OTHER PEOPLE, a story, exploration, and just me. You don't need to be connected 100% of the time, not EVERY game needs multiplayer......you can do things on your own, not every game should require a freaking internet connection,

Was Diablo 3 not enough backlash,

Do you all subscribe to Jay Wilson's "Playing alone isn't fun, fun is playing with friends" honestly its as stupid as "Do you all have Phones"

Honestly Its hard work that could have went to a new franchise and a new IP.

"or perform some teamwork stealth on an enemy camp" - That is just game breaking considering with a sneak attack you can 1 shot everything other than "bosses" and even then alot of them.

There are co-op games to scratch this itch, try Shadow Warrior 2, Warrhammer Vermantide series, or any other game that is co-op RPG, the insistence to turn ES games into multiplayer is absurd, If Bethesda gave you what you wanted then you would bitch because the story would lose its value and be watered down to nothing, at least *If you were a fan of the series, you would understand that as they would have to make changes to allow a group of players in a game, also I don't need a delicate open world game with buggs getting worse because people insist it needs Co-op.

Tell me was Fallout 76 not enough of a clusterfuck to show how badly this goes, and no its not an MMO(Depends if you consider that Diablo was one of the Largest MMOrpgs labeled at that time as such), servers are locked to the point people are lucky to come across one another.

Point being I seen many franchises ruined at the machinations of so called "fans" that want to turn a game into what they want it to be rather than what it is and what it should be, If you get what you wanted, they would alienate EVERY actual fan of the series and it would NOT be what the series is supposed to be.

I can understand what you want, but there are games for that, the work used to make the mod, they could have started a game franchise with a new game instead of pointlessly trying to reinvent the wheel, and that makes it 10x even more absurd and mindboggling.

Square peg round hole......People should have learned this already.

Good points... but Fallout 76 was a shit show not at all because of the multiplayer aspect. In fact, that's probably the ONLY REASON people are still playing it.

But I see no reason why adding an optional Co-op mode to ES is any different to having AI companions in a single-player game. Mechanically they are identical, except one is a friend who you can actually communicate with and the other is a dumb-as-a-brick arrow sponge that ruins any ability to use stealth.

And i love shadow Warrior 2: I still play it with friends, in fact, I first played it single player and I enjoyed the hell out of it! Imagine if it was released as a single-player only game and some old school fan boy tried to argue that co-op multiplayer would ruin the game because people don't know what they want?

Just because people implement shitty multiplayer that doesn't work at a code level, or idiot developers think multiplayer features require inherently different game mechanics necessitating complete transformations of beloved games, does not rebuke the idea that a game that was a lot of fun alone would be a lot of fun with another person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahh
like this
An interesting part of Skyrim Together is you can use it with mods as long as both users have the same ones (best for local coop I'd imagine as many people have hundreds of mods)

Dumbed down mechanics, players are less impactful to the story, forces you to play with others on a massive server.

Co-op is not MMO FFS!

More lore in one zone in ESO than all of vanilla skyrim. PVP and PVE combat mechanics are very extensive and quite possibly the hardest to master in any similar MMO I've played. Not sure what you mean by that.

COOP is exactly how ESO was made to be played. Oh NO you passed by a player you don't know for a few seconds that has zero effect on what you're doing. 0_o

Last edited:
More lore in one zone in ESO than all of vanilla skyrim. PVP and PVE combat mechanics are very extensive and quite possibly the hardest to master in any similar MMO I've played. Not sure what you mean by that.

COOP is exactly how ESO was made to be played. Oh NO you passed by a player you don't know for a few seconds that has zero effect on what you're doing. 0_o

maybe because they.... and just hang with me on this one.... maybe they just want to.

**GASP** ... i knooowwww... people having preferences & whatnot??? whats this world coming to?!?!??

The difference between COOP and MMO (ESO) is they make you grind out your levels on their servers and spend more time in the game. COOP is literally you playing with friends and having to option of going it alone without having another person there. MMOs are meant for grind out leveling and huge boss battles that require more than 1 person and the pace is set in stone. COOP is single player with the option of friends and the players pace.

Cool, but I want to run my own server.

It's a true single player host based game. There isn't a server to run. The game doesn't connect to any server to function.

EDIT: I must appologize, I'm incorrect on this it seems.

Servers and LAN play
During alpha and beta we will be hosting the servers ourselves.

I am hoping that once they go live and stop hosting the servers, that simply starting the game spawns a local game server which other's can join. Otherwise we will be at the mercy of finding people willing to pay for and host servers for others, and that's always a weak spot in any game environment.

Last edited:

I disagree completely. I often find myself running around in Skyrim or Fallout4 wishing one of my kids could be playing with me.

ESO was a disappointment and so was Fallout76 exactly because they created the kind of multiplayer experience you seem to think is needed instead of simply making Fallout and Skyrim with friends. I have no interest to play these games with random strangers, I want to play them with friends and family. I don't want to play with 20, I want to play with 1 or 2.

For the people who are wondering how it would work, how did it work in Diablo2? How did it work in non-server based FPS title. The clients update each other with what each player is doing. They won't be competing against each other. I think the problem you are having with it is the idea that this isn't competitive, it's cooperative. It's not massive multiplayer, it's tiny multiplayer. And while you see no reason to want it, I see no reason to play MOBAs, to each his own. I think the gaming industry has been missing out on exactly this experience because frankly, they are risk averse so they never ever really tried to make something like this work, except that they did. They just never transitioned traditional isometric RPGs like Diablo2 into the first person perspective because the MMORPG market happened with Everquest and Lineage and WoW just dominated and became a model for ell the rest to follow, unsuccessfully.

I just need to ask one thing, did you ever try playing Skyrim without the main quest line, or Fallout4 without letting Preston Garvey and the others out of the Museum? Never join a faction? Just creating a character based on an idea you have for them and play with what they give you, with a few nice mods thrown in for flavor?

I have a high level character that found a location I'd never sen before in Skyrim, and I found a weapon I'd never seen before, an Orc Hammer, two handed, that's really fast swinging. I realized I'd never played an Orc so I now have a new Orc, about level 10, he went straight for the hammer, couldn't get it, I I went to Solitude and got the Headsman as a follower and was just able to fight my way through and get this bad ass hammer, Longhammer it's called. Now my Orc Warrior is making his way in the world. Next I'll go find Volundrung after a few more levels.

ESO was a disappointment and so was Fallout76 exactly because they created the kind of multiplayer experience you seem to think is needed instead of simply making Fallout and Skyrim with friends. I have no interest to play these games with random strangers, I want to play them with friends and family. I don't want to play with 20, I want to play with 1 or 2.
To be fair to ESO you can definitely play it while entirely ignoring everyone else but your friends, as if other players are merely background characters with really good AI. They can't affect you if you don't want them to.

Good points... but Fallout 76 was a shit show not at all because of the multiplayer aspect. In fact, that's probably the ONLY REASON people are still playing it.

But I see no reason why adding an optional Co-op mode to ES is any different to having AI companions in a single-player game. Mechanically they are identical, except one is a friend who you can actually communicate with and the other is a dumb-as-a-brick arrow sponge that ruins any ability to use stealth.

And i love shadow Warrior 2: I still play it with friends, in fact, I first played it single player and I enjoyed the hell out of it! Imagine if it was released as a single-player only game and some old school fan boy tried to argue that co-op multiplayer would ruin the game because people don't know what they want?

Just because people implement shitty multiplayer that doesn't work at a code level, or idiot developers think multiplayer features require inherently different game mechanics necessitating complete transformations of beloved games, does not rebuke the idea that a game that was a lot of fun alone would be a lot of fun with another person.

I can see your point, but I will still argue a single player experience that is fun alone isn't fun with friends per-se.

FYI you can still play it single player
Yes, but the pusuit could have went to these guys making a new IP, I can understand if it's a coding experiment as ES games always were great for amatures becoming pros, but other than experimentation I can't see this being serious.

Always wanted this. Was excited for ESO, then found out it was just another MMO... when in reality I just wanted a local lan game or something similar with friends. Been wanting that since Morrowind lol.

Yes, but the pusuit could have went to these guys making a new IP
yea, it's just a free mod... hopefully they'll move on to bigger things if this is a success

lol @ "they should've instead used their time to make a gameboy port"

Always wanted this. Was excited for ESO, then found out it was just another MMO... when in reality I just wanted a local lan game or something similar with friends. Been wanting that since Morrowind lol.

IMHO most users have always wanted this. Bethesda is blocking this because they know customers wanted multiplayer skyrim all along but gave them an MMO instead so they could make more money.

Back