Skyrim Mods - A Comprehensive List & User Support Thread

After reading these posts I think ill go back and see what mods i have running and see what i can add to make my 4th play through that more special. Will be asking some help regarding the mods i have and what i should be adding.

DJ, do you recommend an ENB preset? Was messing around with the latest, neat that there is an in-game overlay to tweak the ENB settings on the fly. Doesn't seem like there's a way to mess with the colors though, just gamma and brightness. I've never bothered trying to tweak the config myself TBH. The frame limiter doesn't seem to work properly either, setting it to 60fps and enabling it just causes horrendous stuttering.

Main reason is that Wyre Bash allows the creation of bashed patches. Personally, I suggest Wyre Bash over any other mod handler as it is quite easy to use nowadays and has plenty of functions that are useful (see what mods your saved games are using, BAIN, load order saves, etc.).

I agree, I just finally sat down to learn Wrye Bash using the STEP guide, and it's incredibly useful once you learn it. Much easier to keep things organized, and see if anything interferes or overwrites each other. Still working my way on going through the mods list.

Last edited:
Am I just not supposed to change it?
It's a weird implementation. I believe adjusting the slider switches from hardware gamma to default display (software) gamma...or something.

So, yes, don't mess with the in-game slider. You should be able to safely adjust it from SkyrimPrefs.ini or whatever the correct INI would be for that.

It's a weird implementation. I believe adjusting the slider switches from hardware gamma to default display (software) gamma...or something.

So, yes, don't mess with the in-game slider. You should be able to safely adjust it from SkyrimPrefs.ini or whatever the correct INI would be for that.

Gotcha, although when I changed the gamma setting in the SkyrimPrefs.ini file it did the same thing, so I dunno.

DJ, do you recommend an ENB preset? Was messing around with the latest, neat that there is an in-game overlay to tweak the ENB settings on the fly. Doesn't seem like there's a way to mess with the colors though, just gamma and brightness. I've never bothered trying to tweak the config myself TBH. The frame limiter doesn't seem to work properly either, setting it to 60fps and enabling it just causes horrendous stuttering.

I like Unreal's as I think it is a balanced ENB - meaning it looks good in a wide variety of areas.

When I was testing out presets a year ago, I found many to be to have too high of a sunlight brightness. This makes certain areas of the game look great and also can give some very nice looking screenshots, but it ruins the LOD. My opinion, of course.

It has been a while since I've edited ENB files. I thought the weather settings had color variances that are configurable. I never tried editing them so I'm not sure.

Tried the Unreal ENB, boy does it bring my system to my knees. It's nice looking, but I go from 90fps+ outdoors to right around 30, sometimes even to 20...what are a few options I could disable to help FPS? Even with bloom, DoF, and the AA options disabled it's still a bit blurry looking. I did notice you CAN adjust the color and such on the fly, it's just listed in the right menu.

Ever have an issue with the Castle in Solitude missing? As in, can completely walk through where it should be and fall underneath?

Finally finished going through the STEP mod list using WryeBash, and everything was great until I went to Solitude and noticed this. Guess I have to go through reinstalling mods one by one to see what's going on.

Ever have an issue with the Castle in Solitude missing? As in, can completely walk through where it should be and fall underneath?

Finally finished going through the STEP mod list using WryeBash, and everything was great until I went to Solitude and noticed this. Guess I have to go through reinstalling mods one by one to see what's going on.

Was able to narrow it down to an improperly installed Skyfalls & Skymills mod. I didn't have the main files checked to install, so the giant windmill & arch span structure was completely missing. All is well now. :)

Another note, after trying out the Unreal enb, I went with the True Vision enb instead. I didn't really care for the extra effects such as letterbox and film-grain (which I disabled anyway) but the color palette wasn't to my taste. TV still retains vibrant colors without going all out on special effects and postprocessing. I still end up with 30-40fps outdoors, but it's still pretty smooth with vsync enabled.

Just started playing Skyrim and the first thing I noticed when loading it up was how cool it was to see just a simple Bethesda loading screen and then go straight to the game and not have to sit through 40 different rando company logos.

So, I started looking around online at the legendary weapons. I didn't even realize it, but I think I have some of the best one-handed weapons in the game and I'm only lvl 19. I have a Chillrend and a Dawnbreaker. The Dawnbreaker seems to have a near infinite amount of magic so I use that one mainly.

I went through the Imperial quest line first, then the Thieves guild. LOVEEEE the thieves guild set. I dunno what I'm gong to do now. This is my first play through.

So since it's been so long since I've played, and now I have all the DLC this time around, along with all these mods and a good enb, is it normal that the loading screen now freezes after maybe like 5 seconds until you're loaded into the scene? Used to be you could sit there and manipulate the object on the screen and read the text while it loaded. Now I'm forced to sit here and wonder if it actually hangs (which it still seems to do occasionally, unfortunately.)

So, I started looking around online at the legendary weapons. I didn't even realize it, but I think I have some of the best one-handed weapons in the game and I'm only lvl 19. I have a Chillrend and a Dawnbreaker. The Dawnbreaker seems to have a near infinite amount of magic so I use that one mainly.

I went through the Imperial quest line first, then the Thieves guild. LOVEEEE the thieves guild set. I dunno what I'm gong to do now. This is my first play through.

Stop looking online for stuff. That would be my first recommendation.

Stop looking online for stuff. That would be my first recommendation.

What do you mean? :confused:

I was just looking online to see what all the uniques were.

I randomly did the quest where you go inside the mad man's mind too. That staff you get is hilarious! It kept turning people into crabs or some type of hell spawn looking dudes. :D :D

I've been watching the progress of this Memory Patch for about a month now and it is more widely-usable now (easier to set up):
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1486237-shesons-skyrim-memory-patch-ctdils-thread-3/

So since it's been so long since I've played, and now I have all the DLC this time around, along with all these mods and a good enb, is it normal that the loading screen now freezes after maybe like 5 seconds until you're loaded into the scene? Used to be you could sit there and manipulate the object on the screen and read the text while it loaded. Now I'm forced to sit here and wonder if it actually hangs (which it still seems to do occasionally, unfortunately.)

My loading screens only freeze at the very end for about 2 seconds before the game is loaded. If you are getting infinite loading screens, then there are fixes (the one I linked to above and also Safety Load).

My loading screens only freeze at the very end for about 2 seconds before the game is loaded. If you are getting infinite loading screens, then there are fixes (the one I linked to above and also Safety Load).

It's not the infinite load screen problem, it definitely finishes loading 99% of the time. I'm thinking it may actually be the memory management feature of ENBoost TBH. I only get the animated loading screen for like 5 seconds tops, and then it freezes for a good minute or two until I'm loaded into the scene. If I click a button, Windows says the game isn't responding and I can close it, but if I tell it to wait it will eventually finish loading.

Anyone know what's up with my character? I've only got a few of the basic mods for player models & textures, XCE, Race Menu Plugin, and NoMaam's breathing idles. Got a weird seam between the forearms and hands, and the hands look dirty / aged in comparison. I don't see any option in the Race Menu to adjust anything for the hands. Looks like I've got something that replaces the female skin texture because it's clean and softer looking than I remember from default, but nothing to replace the default female hands.

EDIT: Figured out the problem, I had CHBBP installed which changed the female body mesh, and apparently also the textures, yet it didn't touch the face or hand textures which caused the noticeable seams. I liked the better shape of the body from that, but also noticed that all the NPC females were very...very well endowed. Seems the default chest size was awfully (or is that awefully? :D) large. That along with the texture issues means it gets uninstalled.

Now I just want to find a better body texture overhaul. If I wanted my character to look dirty, I would have added dirt with the dirty slider. :(

Link to picture

Last edited:
Is there any way to get a full listing and description of the mods available at Nexus?

Not that I'm aware of. I usually just go into category view (Files ==> Categories) then peruse the available mods.

Is there any way to get a full listing and description of the mods available at Nexus?

As soon as I get a chunk of time freed-up I'm going to post a list of all the mods I have installed into Skyrim - both the load order and install order. I haven't experienced any crashes or bugs. It is going to be one long, long list. :p

Last edited:
As soon as I get a chunk of time freed-up I'm going to post a list of all the mods I have installed into Skyrim - both the load order and install order. I haven't experienced any crashes or bugs. It is going to be one long, long list. :p

Well stop wasting time posting here :D J/K, but looking forward to it when you get a chance.

The one thing a load order does not show are graphics enhancements which are manually copied into \Data\Meshes, \Data\Textures or both. Those mods will be covered in my list.

I'll 'try' (no promises) to compile the list by this weekend.

Not that I'm aware of. I usually just go into category view (Files ==> Categories) then peruse the available mods.

Very excited. :D

Do you guys ever run out of stuff to do? I'm only lvl 20 something or so and I feel like I have done the majority of the main quest lines.

No. My first play through was around 100 hours and I was only on step 2 or 3 of the main quest. I started over because I forgot what the main quest was about.There is so much in this series especially with a lot of the quality mods that add extra quests, lands, and overhauls I still find a whole lot of stuff to do and I'm over 300 hours in it

I am now in the process of optimizing Skyrim for Surface Pro 2. Rocking around 150+ mods atm and running at 1280x720, no ENB and no aniso.

I think I've spent more time tinkering with the game than I have playing it...

I think I've spent more time tinkering with the game than I have playing it...

Welcome to the club. At a certain point the modding itself can become the game, which can be a double edged sword. For whatever reason I stopped playing the game once I felt the collection of mods were in a "perfect" state. Over the weekend I loaded a save that was 8 months old, and was totally lost. A dragon is attacking me & my followers and I can't even remember how to get off the horse and arm a weapon :) Embarrassing.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. At a certain point the modding itself can become the game, which can be a double edged sword. For whatever reason I stopped playing the game once I felt the collection of mods were in a "perfect" state. Over the weekend I loaded a save that was 8 months old, and was totally lost. A dragon is attacking me & my followers and I can't even remember how to get off the horse and arm a weapon :) Embarrassing.

What I find really interesting is that Skyrim becomes much more stable and optimized once you slap those unofficial fixes onto it. I didn't feel it much when I was playing it on my main rig, but out here on SP2 where I started from scratch, I can say without a doubt that those mod patches really polished up the game performance wise!

SkyFalls looks like a nice one to bundle with Realistic Water Two.

Side note, I've seen a lot of stuff posted online about the new graphic mods of Skyrim and it makes me want to get back in. Is there a mod that combines several graphics mods into one mod so I don't have to hunt-n-peck the Internet to collect mods?

Also, have there been any mods that update the gameplay and difficulty of Skyrim? I thought the game was to easy my first time through and want something more difficult that's more than just upscaled mobs.

It has been a while but I thought there was a difficulty mod out there. There was also a realism mod that added survival basics to the game which I thought added a needed touch of realism.

It has been a while but I thought there was a difficulty mod out there. There was also a realism mod that added survival basics to the game which I thought added a needed touch of realism.
I'll have to look into that. I was hoping for something that tweaked the skill system, dynamic leveling, skill/exp gain, etc. You can quickly get overpowered in the game and even the end boss died in a few moments which kinda ruins it for me.

I'll have to look into that. I was hoping for something that tweaked the skill system, dynamic leveling, skill/exp gain, etc. You can quickly get overpowered in the game and even the end boss died in a few moments which kinda ruins it for me.

SkyRe, aka Skyrim Redone is what you want.

Check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfR2Sts6jXM

That video is by well known Fallout3/NV/Skyrim modder and YT personality 'Gopher' - and I highly recommend watching his other Skyrim Sanctuary videos - you'll learn a lot, they're very well done.

Last edited:

That video is by well known Fallout3/NV/Skyrim modder and YT personality 'Gopher' - and I highly recommend watching his other Skyrim Sanctuary videos - you'll learn a lot, they're very well done.

Ya Gophers stuff is really good. Just be aware that much of the stuff has changed though and some of the stuff he goes over is out of date.

SkyRe is supposed to be good, but I really enjoy Requiem Role Playing mod. Makes the entire world static. I read that SkyRe gets insanely easy once your guys levels. Requiem is pretty intense!

Does anyone here know anything about editing ENBs? One of the ENBs I've been playing with (PoloENB) has an effect which causes any spells in your hands, including bound weapons, to reflect off of the environment. I've seen a similar effect in other ENBs but it's always heavily muted and doesn't look as dynamic when compared to Polo. I don't like Polo when outside though and the contrast isn't what I'd prefer so I'm wanting to take the wall reflections that Polo has setup and insert them into another ENB that I like such as NLA.

What controls this effect?

Back