Skyrim Mods - A Comprehensive List & User Support Thread

All you would need to do is launch Wrye Bash and it should tell you which mod is doing it. I think Wrye Bash has an all-in-one installer now so no more downloading Python separately.

Otherwise, list your mods or buy DG. :)

I got it installed last night and was working on reading through the instructions to be sure I'm doing everything right. Looks like my best bet is to make sure all my mods are manually downloaded though, instead of the NMM auto-downloader? Anyway, then I got distracted by Terraria because I just had to try out the new content patch. :)

Also, apparently Steam users having the DG.esm was due to it being accidentally put up for free. If your Steam downloaded DG in that time you can still enable it without buying it, at least from what I've read.

I got it installed last night and was working on reading through the instructions to be sure I'm doing everything right. Looks like my best bet is to make sure all my mods are manually downloaded though, instead of the NMM auto-downloader? Anyway, then I got distracted by Terraria because I just had to try out the new content patch. :)

Also, apparently Steam users having the DG.esm was due to it being accidentally put up for free. If your Steam downloaded DG in that time you can still enable it without buying it, at least from what I've read.

I never used the auto-downloader so I don't know. I believe it downloads the mods into a folder specifically created for NMM, so you may be able to just transfer those mods into the Wrye Bash mod folder. That is if you want to use BAIN (Wrye Bash installer function). Otherwise, the esp/esm files should still show up in Wrye Bash's load order screen, which should be all you need to see any missing masters.

The Dawnguard thing doesn't make much sense. How did it end up in your installation? Did you try to buy it? Is it random? Do you have the DG esm file in your load order?

The Dawnguard thing doesn't make much sense. How did it end up in your installation? Did you try to buy it? Is it random? Do you have the DG esm file in your load order?

I didn't use it yet, but the .esm is definitely there. I Googled why I have it and came up with this. Apparently a mistake on Valve's part a few weeks ago. That's all I really know.

Audio Overhaul and A Matter of Time work great. I've had no issues with either mod. I haven't tried Lore Weapon Expansion yet it does look great.

Audio Overhaul and A Matter of Time work great. I've had no issues with either mod. I haven't tried Lore Weapon Expansion yet it does look great.

If you used Sounds of Skyrim before, do you think Audio Overhaul is overall better?

And I hope to update the mod list this weekend. Nexus tends to be extremely slow on the weekends (and some weekdays) so it is quite tedious to update the list.

Since you mentioned Sounds of Skyrim yesterday I went ahead and tried the mod. I compared both mods last night. I'm still out as far as judgement goes but it seems to my ears that Audio Overhaul is slightly better in terms of ambient quality. I'll be testing each mod over the next week and will provide an opinion then.

For reference, I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Max audio settings within game.

If you used Sounds of Skyrim before, do you think Audio Overhaul is overall better?

I'm gonna give the audio overhaul a try this weekend. :) (compared to SoS which I have installed now)

@ revenent: As long as the mod is installed correctly, you won't be disappointed. :)

EDIT: Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) has been updated to 0.45.7

Last edited:
yeah, I spent a lot of time for the first time playing with all 3 SoS mods installed with my headphones on this weekend... got a really good listen to that finally. the Audio Overhaul is not on the steam workshop so I will manually install it probably this weekend.. I know I am a lazy bitch lolz... sigh. anyways, I wanted to really listen to SoS really well before I switched. I will report back later. :)

yeah, I spent a lot of time for the first time playing with all 3 SoS mods installed with my headphones on this weekend... got a really good listen to that finally. the Audio Overhaul is not on the steam workshop so I will manually install it probably this weekend.. I know I am a lazy bitch lolz... sigh. anyways, I wanted to really listen to SoS really well before I switched. I will report back later. :)

Can't wait to hear your reports.

Modding this game is complete bs. I cannot mod this game a fair amount without getting CTD due to high VRAM usage. I can play for like 30-60 seconds outdoors before I hit ~3gb of VRAM usage, and then I'll CTD with no error message. Sigh... Thanks for making it 32-bit Bethesda.

Modding this game is complete bs. I cannot mod this game a fair amount without getting CTD due to high VRAM usage. I can play for like 30-60 seconds outdoors before I hit ~3gb of VRAM usage, and then I'll CTD with no error message. Sigh... Thanks for making it 32-bit Bethesda.

Just use smaller textures. You can barely tell the difference anyway

Don't concern yourself over the visual mods.. Return to default, and only concentrate on the core gamplay mods. The visual stuff is great for initial impressions and impressing people in screenshot threads but does little to make the game more enjoyable. And honestly. The visual mods aren't all that great to begin with

That is because you are trying to use more VRAM than your video card has. Lower your textures mods. knock your 4096 textures down to 2048 if possible.

Don't concern yourself over the visual mods.. Return to default, and only concentrate on the core gamplay mods. The visual stuff is great for initial impressions and impressing people in screenshot threads but does little to make the game more enjoyable. And honestly. The visual mods aren't all that great to begin with

Eye cancer begs to differ.

But modding Skyrim is like a game by itself! :(

I'm going to use Texture Optimizer and compress everything to 1024, and see if that helps.

But modding Skyrim is like a game by itself! :(

I'm going to use Texture Optimizer and compress everything to 1024, and see if that helps.

Agreed. Sometimes I get more enjoyment out of modding a TES game than actually playing it. Although with Morrowind I loved both parts equally since that game is still one of my favorite games.

I am pretty new to Skyrim. I installed a couple of mods through the NMM last night and I do not see them in the current game I have. Do newly installed mods only show on new games once they are installed?

I am pretty new to Skyrim. I installed a couple of mods through the NMM last night and I do not see them in the current game I have. Do newly installed mods only show on new games once they are installed?

No. What mods did you install? If they have esp/esm/bsa files then go to your Skyrim's Data folder and see if the files exist in there.

No. What mods did you install? If they have esp/esm/bsa files then go to your Skyrim's Data folder and see if the files exist in there.

It was 'Crafting 300', 'Expanded Jewelry Crafting', and a couple other armor ones.

Try booting skyrim through steam once. When you do this is scans to see what plug-ins or mods you have installed. You don't have to actually enter the game, just wait until it's finished it's scan, close it, and run nmm to boot the game.

Try booting skyrim through steam once. When you do this is scans to see what plug-ins or mods you have installed. You don't have to actually enter the game, just wait until it's finished it's scan, close it, and run nmm to boot the game.

Ahhhh...... you need to run the game using NMM? I was still starting it with stream.

That'll do it!

Modding Skyrim is so much easier then how it was to mod the older TES games, but you do still need to double check the install instruction. Have fun and try not to get to addicted to the modding....

Hmmm..... still not seeing them. Is there a way to verify that the mods have been installed correctly?

Screen shot or copy of your load order. Sometimes zoning or waiting for a day (in game) will "process" the mod and it will show up. For crafting 300 you should be able to see the new weapons in your crafting window.

So I spent all weekend reading up, downloading, and installing mods to tweak the visuals and gameplay to my liking finally. The last step is maybe installing an ENB mod cause they look amazing. My only question is if the game is even playable with an ENB mod or is it just for taking screenshots?

I'm getting a rock solid 60 FPS with vsync on and all settings at Ultra with the rig in my signature. I watched a few videos and kind of narrowed a couple ENB profiles I like namely: Sharpshooters Extreme Graphics ENB, A Realistic Hope ENB, RealVision ENB, and Project ENB. Does anyone have any experience with these or any alternative I missed that would yield playable frames?

I think I'm using Realvision, and yes its perfectly playable with an ENB mod. I've got a GTX680 with a 1440p monitor and theres still performance left to spare and game looks incredible. The mods to watch out for as far as FPS killers are the "Lush Trees and Grass" and "Grass on Steroids" and "Bigger Trees" type of mods.

My problem is I fell into that "pit" I read warnings about where the modding itself became the game and the obsession and I stopped actually playing through it. Will get back to it eventually, havent even touched any of the DLC.

P.S. make sure you run B.O.S.S. to optimize the plugin order.

Last edited:
I think I'm using Realvision, and yes its perfectly playable with an ENB mod. I've got a GTX680 with a 1440p monitor and theres still performance left to spare and game looks incredible. The mods to watch out for as far as FPS killers are the "Lush Trees and Grass" and "Grass on Steroids" and "Bigger Trees" type of mods.

My problem is I fell into that "pit" I read warnings about where the modding itself became the game and the obsession and I stopped actually playing through it. Will get back to it eventually, havent even touched any of the DLC.

P.S. make sure you run B.O.S.S. to optimize the plugin order.

Cool, thanks. Regarding "Lush Trees and Grass" being an FPS killer, do you mean by itself or when paired with ENB? Cause I have it installed by itself and I haven't had any performance hit.

Also, I did use NMM, BOSS, Wrye Bash, and cleaned up everything with TES5Edit so now BOSS is showing all my mods working happily with each other. Yay!

To be honest, I've only played maybe 8 hrs of Skyrim since it's release cause the combat put me to sleep. I installed Skyrm Redone with it's combat module + ASIS combat module + Locational Damage + Dragon Combat Overhaul and the combat is MUCH more engaging now. SkyRe Reproccer and Balbor and Steelsouls Reproccer + Immersive Weapons and Immersive Armors will ensure all items in the game are balanced. I also plan to skip any magical or epic weapons/armor and just stick to base weapon/armor types so my guy is just another adventurer. It's no Dark Souls but it's pretty damn close.

Some more mods to be added:
Take Notes - Journal of the Dragonborn
Take Notes! adds a new player journal (a SkyUI widget) to the game which lets you create, view and export your own journal entries.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/48375/?

Populated Lands Roads Paths
Now lands, roads and paths are populated by Adventurers, Merchants with Body Guards, Refugees, Pilgrims, Assassins and much other.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/48127//?

HD Detailed Terrain
This modification will replace the boring, low detail, blurry and mundane Vanilla distant landscape textures.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/48227//?

Minimal HUD for Skyrim
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33482/?

Cool, thanks. Regarding "Lush Trees and Grass" being an FPS killer, do you mean by itself or when paired with ENB? Cause I have it installed by itself and I haven't had any performance hit.

Also, I did use NMM, BOSS, Wrye Bash, and cleaned up everything with TES5Edit so now BOSS is showing all my mods working happily with each other. Yay!

To be honest, I've only played maybe 8 hrs of Skyrim since it's release cause the combat put me to sleep. I installed Skyrm Redone with it's combat module + ASIS combat module + Locational Damage + Dragon Combat Overhaul and the combat is MUCH more engaging now. SkyRe Reproccer and Balbor and Steelsouls Reproccer + Immersive Weapons and Immersive Armors will ensure all items in the game are balanced. I also plan to skip any magical or epic weapons/armor and just stick to base weapon/armor types so my guy is just another adventurer. It's no Dark Souls but it's pretty damn close.

As you may have already found out, your GTX 780 Lightning will do just fine with a fairly heavy ENB config and mods like Lush Trees, unless you are someone who needs a constant 60 FPS.

Last edited:
Do y'all use Wyre Bash or Mod Organizer? I recently got a new laptop and its time for Skyrim mod downloading fun again. I've used MO in the past, but heard Wyre Bash is the best option for multiple reasons.

Hey folks,

I've read dj_2004's OP and recommendations (thanks for all your hard work) but am still feeling a bit overwhelmed. Here's the situation, I played a bit of Morrowind and a lot of Oblivion (with no mods) but have not even installed Skyrim yet. I'm interested in mods that will improve visual quality without really altering the developer's intended artistic style. Is the official high res texture pack enough? Should I look at Ultra Realistic Lighting or STEP?

I have a 3770K @ 4.5GHz and a GTX 670 @ 1176MHz boost and a 1920x1200 display. I don't need constant 60fps but don't want to dip much below 45 and would like to use adaptive Vsync.

Thanks!

I would look into the texture mod combiner or w/e it is called. You will have to torrent the Skyrim Realistic Overhaul though (some forum baby drama caused it to be unlisted at the Nexus).

That should be a pretty good start for the visual mods.

Do y'all use Wyre Bash or Mod Organizer? I recently got a new laptop and its time for Skyrim mod downloading fun again. I've used MO in the past, but heard Wyre Bash is the best option for multiple reasons.

I was looking into this, what were the reasons?

Quick question... I have since started playing Skyrim again with a bunch of mods installed, but I noticed something about the brightness in the game.

I have a couple of mods that probably mess with the lighting of the game (climates of tamriel, enhanced lighting & fx, etc.). I noticed it was a bit dark in areas which I assume had to do with mods, so I figured I would bump it up a notch, but didn't like how it looked. However, when I changed the slider back to 50% (what it was just at before), the brightness is totally different than if I don't touch it at all. Am I just not supposed to change it?

I was looking into this, what were the reasons?

Main reason is that Wyre Bash allows the creation of bashed patches. Personally, I suggest Wyre Bash over any other mod handler as it is quite easy to use nowadays and has plenty of functions that are useful (see what mods your saved games are using, BAIN, load order saves, etc.).

Back