Skyrim GoTY on the way...

I'm still amazed after the other TES games that Skyrim is being abandoned by the dev after only two DLC expansions.

I'm still amazed after the other TES games that Skyrim is being abandoned by the dev after only two DLC expansions.

Oblivion only had 2 expansions....Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isle (Their best Expansion by far imo). I wouldn't really consider Mehrunes to be an expansion.

Fallout 3 had 5 DLC, but I guess they were shorter than either Dragonborn or Dawnguard.

Oblivion only had 2 expansions....Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isle (Their best Expansion by far imo). I wouldn't really consider Mehrunes to be an expansion.

I almost forgot Oblivion only had two expansions as well. They were just of such higher quality that it felt like Oblivion had more than skyrim.

One would have expected more because Bethesda is much larger than they were in the days of Morrowind and Oblivion (both of which received two expansions) and because Skyrim is still a top seller. I have a feeling that getting the DLC working with the PS3 ate up too much of their budget and adding another large DLC would have likely caused the PS3 to explode.

So does this mean they'll have huge discounts on individual DLC now? Not sure what the going price is now, but when they first came out it was too much for me to spend then. Since I've got the game on Steam, don't see buying a "GOTY" edition beneficial at $60.

So does this mean they'll have huge discounts on individual DLC now? Not sure what the going price is now, but when they first came out it was too much for me to spend then. Since I've got the game on Steam, don't see buying a "GOTY" edition beneficial at $60.

I've seen two sales in the past ~two weeks with the DLC at 50% off, except for Dragonborn. That makes Dawnguard $10 and Hearthfire $2.50.

Well, it's been a year and a half since the game came out. Seems about the right time.

Hopefully, their energies are being spent on the next Fallout, preferably using the same engine as Skyrim. *crosses fingers*

I would love to see a fallout 4 using an updated (read: FIXXED) skyrim engine.

I still find it a miracle that of ALL the developers to pull fallout from off the shelf it was Bethesda, the one and only developer I feel had 'the right stuff' to do it. It could have well been EA or Activision, released a half-assed cover-based, on-rails shooter and then kept the IP till death.

I would love to see a fallout 4 using an updated (read: FIXXED) skyrim engine.

I still find it a miracle that of ALL the developers to pull fallout from off the shelf it was Bethesda, the one and only developer I feel had 'the right stuff' to do it.

IMO, they didn't do it right, they didn't get the humor right at all. For the most part it came off as too silly.

Also, Bethesda had a hard time convincing me of what time period they wanted me to believe it was. With things like food, drinks & other edibles from the "old world" still around 200 years later, it was a hard pill to swallow. That is just one example, I could go on and on though....

It was a decent game but they could have done a lot better had they taken more time to improve upon the first 2 games.

I grabbed all the DLC and the game is bugged! I dont mind still fun to play through with different characters. I just hope they learned their lesson and do not half ass it again. I disliked the simplified leveling, magic, potion/poison and armor mechanics. It didnt enhance my game it pissed me off that I only played through once and now twice with DLC. I ussually do not buy a new game for 9 months when a ES game is released.

I grabbed all the DLC and the game is bugged! I dont mind still fun to play through with different characters. I just hope they learned their lesson and do not half ass it again. I disliked the simplified leveling, magic, potion/poison and armor mechanics. It didnt enhance my game it pissed me off that I only played through once and now twice with DLC. I ussually do not buy a new game for 9 months when a ES game is released.

There's tons of mods to restore the old non-6-year-old-difficulty-level mechanics.

There's tons of mods to restore the old non-6-year-old-difficulty-level mechanics.

I thought the enchantment system was much more intense, and being able to basically craft anything from raw ingredients made up for the dumbed-down leveling: however I wish we could have both intricate leveling and item creation in the next game.

I thought the enchantment system was much more intense, and being able to basically craft anything from raw ingredients made up for the dumbed-down leveling: however I wish we could have both intricate leveling and item creation in the next game.

:confused: We got about 1/15th the enchanting scope that was in Morrowind. The smithing was a mixed bag, as it showed really broken level and loot scaling later on.

IMO, the only thing I would call an upgrade to previous TES games is the engine.

I'm actually really glad that the patching and dlc is done with, means I can finally stop worrying about them breaking my mods and get to playing the game for more then a few days without restarting.. :D

My girlfriend and I picked up skyrim on the 360 and now I've been itching to try it on the pc with mods. I showed her the screenshot thread and her response was "that is so fucking awesome!" haha.

Not sure if I'll wait for the GoTY edition yet

:confused: We got about 1/15th the enchanting scope that was in Morrowind. The smithing was a mixed bag, as it showed really broken level and loot scaling later on.

IMO, the only thing I would call an upgrade to previous TES games is the engine.

So you think dungeons and attention to detail (just to name a few things) were better in past TES games?

Morrowind also only had two expansions. Bloodmoon and Tribunal.

And Morrowind's team was much smaller, had a lot less money, and were working on an engine they didn't have as much experience with.

My girlfriend and I picked up skyrim on the 360 and now I've been itching to try it on the pc with mods. I showed her the screenshot thread and her response was "that is so fucking awesome!" haha.

Not sure if I'll wait for the GoTY edition yet

If you do it piece-by-piece, you aren't saving a whole lot of money when buying the GOTY edition, assuming you buy the DLC when it is on sale:
Skyrim - Easy to find for <$30
Dawnguard - $10
Hearthfire - $2.50
Dragonborn - $20

You save $2.50 by getting the GOTY edition. Like I stated in an earlier post, the DLC, besides Dragonborn, has gone on sale often since the GOTY announcement.

So you think dungeons and attention to detail (just to name a few things) were better in past TES games?

For the most part, yes. Dungeons in Daggerfall could be pretty crazy in design, and some of the Morrowind areas still hold a great sense of place and atmosphere. Skyrim also has some pretty cool areas to explore, but I think that's mostly due to a much superior engine and graphical technology. Some of the Dwemer ruins were awesome, but the huge amount of caves that conveniently deposit you in an area closer to you mission objectives has more to do with catering to casual than good design.

Arena is a severely flawed game, so I'm not comparing that one. Daggerfall was also pretty flawed, but had a much deeper design than games like Oblivion and Skyrim. I think the only thing holding a game like Morrowind back is technology (and a couple silly design choices). There was just more to do.

And Morrowind's team was much smaller, had a lot less money, and were working on an engine they didn't have as much experience with.

If you do it piece-by-piece, you aren't saving a whole lot of money when buying the GOTY edition, assuming you buy the DLC when it is on sale:
Skyrim - Easy to find for <$30
Dawnguard - $10
Hearthfire - $2.50
Dragonborn - $20

You save $2.50 by getting the GOTY edition. Like I stated in an earlier post, the DLC, besides Dragonborn, has gone on sale often since the GOTY announcement.

So I have to find the game on sale for 30 dollars, then wait for each piece of DLC to be on sale and then I still pay 2.50 more? That's not a very compelling argument for not waiting for the GoTY.

For the most part, yes. Dungeons in Daggerfall could be pretty crazy in design, and some of the Morrowind areas still hold a great sense of place and atmosphere. Skyrim also has some pretty cool areas to explore, but I think that's mostly due to a much superior engine and graphical technology. Some of the Dwemer ruins were awesome, but the huge amount of caves that conveniently deposit you in an area closer to you mission objectives has more to do with catering to casual than good design.

Arena is a severely flawed game, so I'm not comparing that one. Daggerfall was also pretty flawed, but had a much deeper design than games like Oblivion and Skyrim. I think the only thing holding a game like Morrowind back is technology (and a couple silly design choices). There was just more to do.

Ah, yes, Daggerfalls lovely dungeons. "Crazy in design" is certainly a good description for them as I don't think anyone would argue with that. :)

What type of technology is holding Morrowind back?

So I have to find the game on sale for 30 dollars, then wait for each piece of DLC to be on sale and then I still pay 2.50 more? That's not a very compelling argument for not waiting for the GoTY.

The guy wants to play the game on his PC ASAP, so if he finds the DLC on sale then he is only paying $2.50 more. Not an argument, I'm just stating the facts in case he finds them to be of use.

Also, I listed Dragonborn at $20. This is full price, which I'm guessing you didn't know judging by your post. I see that gamefly had Dragonborn, and the other two DLC, for 50% off a couple days ago so a person can save $7.50 compared to the GOTY edition. That's assuming the buyer wants all the DLC.

Some deal tips:
Game:
The game costs $30 on Amazon for the UK version, shipped from an Amazon warehouse. If you don't mind waiting ~10-15 days, then you can get it for $27 from a UK seller on Amazon. The UK version should (yes, I'm not 100% sure) work fine with US DLC, if there is even a separate UK/US version of the DLC as it may be lumped into the same category. I'm sure a search on Google would yield an answer.

DLC:
Head to Slickdeals, make a deal alert with Skyrim in the name, and then wait for the site to send an email with the deal. If the DLC doesn't go on sale by June 1 then all that was wasted was a couple seconds.

Also, Bethesda had a hard time convincing me of what time period they wanted me to believe it was. With things like food, drinks & other edibles from the "old world" still around 200 years later, it was a hard pill to swallow.

It was a decent game but they could have done a lot better had they taken more time to improve upon the first 2 games.

Amen! I still enjoy the new fallout games, but seriously, with all the "prospectors" and "scavengers" and large organizations looting for what, at least 100 years since people started coming out from underground, how in the world is all this stuff still lying around? You even find "old" stuff sitting in containers inside "re-civilized" areas. They built a city around this area and for decades they haven't bothered to look in that pile of rubble over there?

Why do people not have enough pride in their work to avoid such simple problems like that...

Amen! I still enjoy the new fallout games, but seriously, with all the "prospectors" and "scavengers" and large organizations looting for what, at least 100 years since people started coming out from underground, how in the world is all this stuff still lying around? You even find "old" stuff sitting in containers inside "re-civilized" areas. They built a city around this area and for decades they haven't bothered to look in that pile of rubble over there?

Why do people not have enough pride in their work to avoid such simple problems like that...

Some things have to be overlooked for gameplay mechanics. I mean, you run into an android who gives you his laser arm that shoots plasma beams and you're complaining about 200 year old cans of beans? It's a game.

Some things have to be overlooked for gameplay mechanics. I mean, you run into an android who gives you his laser arm that shoots plasma beams and you're complaining about 200 year old cans of beans? It's a game.

Nothing says it would be less fun if it made more sense. In fact, most evidence points to the contrary.

Back