Skyrim for $40?

Rdzona

Gawd
Debating on picking this up on steam. Is Skyrim worth $40 bucks?? Whats everyone's opinion?

Definitely. Only reason I'd hold off is if a new edition with DLC is about to come out, which could happen.

I think it fails in many respects (much can be fixed with mods) but still I played it for 120 hours.

I don't feel like going back to it any time soon, though. I don't really dig Todd Howard's vision.

Absolutely. Not perfect, but an excellent game. Get SKYUI immediately upon install.

I felt $60 was too much, but I paid $40 at the very end of the Steam Holiday sale, and that's about right.

Definitely. Only reason I'd hold off is if a new edition with DLC is about to come out, which could happen.

No, they don't release new editions with the DLC. They wait until they are done with DLCs before they release the GOTY.

Was well worth it at full price to me and then some. Mods only make it even more so.

if you like sp rpgs sure. i for one got bored very fast, but running around killing mobs with sparks and yelling POWWWWER UNLIMITED POWERRRRRRRR was fun.

They've fixed tons of bugs since it was initially released and I'd say that I enjoyed it enough. I'd say it's well worth $40. It's pretty fun but you'll eventually complete all unique quests and start being given redundant fetch quests and that's when it loses its fun BUT you should get plenty enjoyment out of it before that happens.

it's a great game, and you will enjoy it.

But there comes a burnout point for everyone it seems, mine is 50 hours, and I just have no desire to carry on.. The quests become tiresome, you lose interest in the characters because they all sound/act/look the same, it's hard to give a shit about what anyone has to say.

I plan on picking it up when it drops a little. I dont think itll be my type of game but so many people just love it that there has got to be something to it. The last time I ignored games that people raved about, I missed out on Mass Effect til late 2010!

Think Ill wait til it gets down a little lower though as $40 is still a little much for me to drop on a game Im not entirely sure Ill like. $30 sounds about right but I might have to give in sooner cause this thing is holding at $60 most of the time. Downside to trying to wait out price drops on really popular games.

I plan on picking it up when it drops a little. I dont think itll be my type of game but so many people just love it that there has got to be something to it. The last time I ignored games that people raved about, I missed out on Mass Effect til late 2010!

Think Ill wait til it gets down a little lower though as $40 is still a little much for me to drop on a game Im not entirely sure Ill like. $30 sounds about right but I might have to give in sooner cause this thing is holding at $60 most of the time. Downside to trying to wait out price drops on really popular games.

Yeah, very true, it is very hard to know when to pull the trigger. Impossible to know when the next sale is gonna be, especially since it is on sale right now, so you would think that it would be a awhile.

It's absolutely worth every bit of $40 and then some. I paid full price -- I'm 200+ hours in and still having fun.

I felt $60 was too much, but I paid $40 at the very end of the Steam Holiday sale, and that's about right.

Same here. I saw a buddy play it and while it looked fun it was not worth $59 or day one purchase for me.

The other day I saw an article that game sales are way down. Most indicators point to the high price. $60 is just too much IMHO unless its a AAA awesome title. I payed full price for Diablo 3 because I love the series. I payed full price for ME3 because I loved the series but Skyrim can wait especially since the engine is shit and needs months of patching and mods to be stable.

I've put 78 hours into the game and I still haven't beaten the main story line. I wounder how long it takes to beat every single quest that came with the game?

Given how unfunctional this game is without mods, I am quite content that I only paid $29 for it. That's not to say its a bad game, but the state it was released in was appalling.

Yes it's worth it. I need to start a new character and run through it again.

I've put 78 hours into the game and I still haven't beaten the main story line. I wounder how long it takes to beat every single quest that came with the game?

The great thing about this game is that it can be as long as you want it to be. Some player prefer rushing through the quest, some prefer exploring while others prefer fast travelling, there are many auto generated mini quest too. I prefer walking on foot and slaying anything along the way so I'm at 70 hours and not even halfway through yet :p

Truly not trying to thread jack for something that might be worthy of the "Free Stuff" subforum but there is a way to get this game for free IF you are a specific retail employee. If that is the case you can go to https://insiders.bethesda.com/registered.php and answer some quizzes and watch some videos to eventually earn some points to get a Steam key for it. This game was a definite "should I?" purchase but this made it much easier to spend some time registering and answering questions to get the game.

Given how unfunctional this game is without mods, I am quite content that I only paid $29 for it. That's not to say its a bad game, but the state it was released in was appalling.

I wouldn't say this game is nonfunctional without mods. Compared to Oblivion this game is very solid without mods. Mods greatly enhance the game, but it's not like they save it from peril or anything. Vanilla ran much more smooth and solid than any other Bethseda game I played, and that was before the patches.

I wouldn't say this game is nonfunctional without mods. Compared to Oblivion this game is very solid without mods. Mods greatly enhance the game, but it's not like they save it from peril or anything. Vanilla ran much more smooth and solid than any other Bethseda game I played, and that was before the patches.

Same here. All the more now for anyone that wants to jump in.

I wouldn't say this game is nonfunctional without mods. Compared to Oblivion this game is very solid without mods. Mods greatly enhance the game, but it's not like they save it from peril or anything.

Without the UI, categorized favorites and quality world map mods I would have very quickly binned the game because the vanilla versions are honestly rubbish. So for me those mods do save skyrim, because nothing turns me off a game faster than a cumbersome shitty UI.

Vanilla ran much more smooth and solid than any other Bethseda game I played, and that was before the patches.

Its the same recycled engine with a couple of updated textures and models, of course its going to run better on modern hardware. Its the same reason every new version of CoD runs 50 fps faster than the previous one.

No, they don't release new editions with the DLC. They wait until they are done with DLCs before they release the GOTY.

That is untrue. Oblivion released with a GOTY edition and then had some additional dlc released...

This game looks great, but I'm a huge FPS player and last time i tried one of these was morrowind and I got bored after ~5 hours.

Should I try again? I just cant' stand too much talking...need action, but love wide open worlds.

So what's the consensus? Buy it now or wait for the GOTY edition and/or maybe a Christmas sale?

I put about 320 hours into it and still didn't finish all the quests (I did beat the main quest line though) and I suffer from severe gaming ADD (I'll play a game for a few hours, enjoy it and never touch it again or it takes me months to get back to it. I also rarely, if ever, go back to a game after I beat it.) I still get the urge to play Skyrim but I uninstalled it so I wouldn't. I plan on going back to it once their are some good mod packs created using the mod tools which will probably be around the end of the summer/beginning of Fall (just before the Christmas rush starts).

The core game was definitely rough around the edges (like most Bethesda games) but between 6 months of official patches and updates the and the user mods it's sooo much better and I really enjoy looking for and trying out new mods. If you aren't really into RPGs or don't want to deal with mods I recommend staying away or at least waiting until it hit's $20 or less. If you do like large, open world RPGs heavy on the combat then even the core game (no mods) is worth a play through, even more so than Oblivion. I logged about 100 or so hours on Oblivion and had to force myself to go back to it and beat it and still to this day I want nothing to do with it I was so burnt out. Fallout got me to that point at about 70 hours and i had no interest in touching New Vegas but I have yet to burn out on Skyrim.

Both Oblivion and Skyrim are much more "console demographic" friendly than Morrowind ever was. That's actually one of the main problems a lot of us oldschool PC gamers and longtime Elder Scrolls players had with them.

So what's the consensus? Buy it now or wait for the GOTY edition and/or maybe a Christmas sale?

The GOTY version won't be out until, at the very earliest, next summer (2013). They usually wait until they have at least two large expansions and a few smaller ones before they go the GOTY rout and Bethesda already said that Skyrims expansions will all be much bigger, more full size add-ons than what we saw with Oblivion and Fallout so it may not even be released until next Christmas.

That being said, take the info in this thread and maybe do a bit more research if needed and make up your own mind. If you want to play it now then buy it now, if you don't really care then wait.

Last edited:
With all the texture mods its the best looking game I have ever played (not saying absolute, just the ones I've played).

You should get the PC version for sure though. If anything the (in-game) console can really save your ass sometimes, due to glitched quests or NPC's, or spice up the game just a little bit.

If you want to play it right now, I think its totally worth it to buy it now and play it. GOTY will still be a long time away. We haven't even seen its first DLC yet.

Of course if its going to go right into your backlog, might as well wait for Summer Sales.

With all the texture mods its the best looking game I have ever played (not saying absolute, just the ones I've played).

You should get the PC version for sure though. If anything the (in-game) console can really save your ass sometimes, due to glitched quests or NPC's, or spice up the game just a little bit.

I DL'ed it last night and am giving it a whirl. I loath reviewing mod pages for hours on end so any tips on what mod is must have? textures peaked my interest.

I grabbed this yesterday and also downloaded the Texture Pack DLC.

So far so good and I'd say it seems like a solid game for $40. I haven't experienced any game crippling bugs yet and the game looks good.

I previously bought Fallout 3 for a similar price on Steam and I had nothing but problems with it. It had random slowdown with the VATs stuff, random freezing etc. Even after I built my new gaming rig late last year, I still had trouble with random freezing, the game was just unplayable. I'm happy to report that so far this isn't the case for Skyrim.

It's worth $40.

I've gotten more out of Skyrim at $60 than 99 percent of the games I play.

EASILY worth it.

That is untrue. Oblivion released with a GOTY edition and then had some additional dlc released...

Really? I didn't know that, nevertheless GOTY is always at or near the end of the DLC life cycle.

Without the UI, categorized favorites and quality world map mods I would have very quickly binned the game because the vanilla versions are honestly rubbish. So for me those mods do save skyrim, because nothing turns me off a game faster than a cumbersome shitty UI.

I think a lot of people here put in a hundred or so hours before the UI and categorized favorites mod came out. UI is a big deal, but gameplay is king and vanilla gameplay was pretty good (for a multi-platform game). As long as I don't have to spend long hours in the UI.

Its the same recycled engine with a couple of updated textures and models, of course its going to run better on modern hardware. Its the same reason every new version of CoD runs 50 fps faster than the previous one.

It's a different engine, but with much of the same personality Bethseda brings. For me Oblivion still is far worse on the FPS when there are 3 or more NPCs on screen. Oblivion -> Skyrim is nothing like CoD iterations. Yes they still use .nif files for meshes, but when you compare them to the sameness of all the Unreal Engine 3 games, I wouldn't say the Skyrim is just recycled Oblivion 2.0. Not at all.

I would say a determining factor is how much of a backlog you have. Mine is substantial so I'm happy to wait for the Christmas season or some other sale while I play through some other titles.

It's a different engine, but with much of the same personality Bethseda brings. For me Oblivion still is far worse on the FPS when there are 3 or more NPCs on screen. Oblivion -> Skyrim is nothing like CoD iterations. Yes they still use .nif files for meshes, but when you compare them to the sameness of all the Unreal Engine 3 games, I wouldn't say the Skyrim is just recycled Oblivion 2.0. Not at all.

Incorrect, it is exactly the same base engine (Gamebryo) just updated with more modern shaders and FXAA.

It's definitely a huge improvement over Oblivion, but Gamebryo still sucks ass.

Incorrect, it is exactly the same base engine (Gamebryo) just updated with more modern shaders and FXAA.

It's definitely a huge improvement over Oblivion, but Gamebryo still sucks ass.

Wrong, Skyrim runs on the "Creation Engine" which was written after the release of oblivion. And there are far more differences between the engines than FXAA and Shaders, while graphically it isnt a great improvement they made alot of changes concerning small details that present in gamebryo, and even more changes around fauna, draw distance and the way objects are weighted

I'm not a huge skyrim fan, nonetheless I sunk 40 hours into the game in the first 3 weeks (before the good mods were out) and haven't touched it since.

60 bucks for 40 hours isn't too bad, compared to many games... and probably later this year will be the first "mod bundle" such as Oblivion had, I'll put another 20-30 hours into Skyrim, and then again in a year or 2 when the first Total Conversion ala Nehrim arives.

Works out well.

Wrong, Skyrim runs on the "Creation Engine" which was written after the release of oblivion. And there are far more differences between the engines than FXAA and Shaders, while graphically it isnt a great improvement they made alot of changes concerning small details that present in gamebryo, and even more changes around fauna, draw distance and the way objects are weighted

Actually he is technically correct. The creation engine does use the same codebase from Gamebryo but it has been "updated". Unfortunately you can't polish a turd and they should have put that codebase to pasture and either licensed a proven engine or developed one from scratch. Any gamer here knows exactly what a Gamebryo engine looks like down to the bugs. Putting lipstick on a pig does not change anything.

Back