Skyrim follower bug

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm not sure how to do a search for something as vague as this so i'll just be posting this here.

I'm in the forsworn conspiracy quest and about to enter 'N's house when i noticed that my follower was gone. I tried walking around looking for her but she's gone.

After waiting for four days, and still not returning to my house, i figured she got must have fallen off world or something and tried googling about lost followers. I found a console command that makes them teleport to your position so i used it. She appeared, but she wouldn't follow me, and instead kept walking away. So i fast travelled all over skyrim summoning her each time and checking her direction until i finally found her as one of the guards in the temple of talos in Markath.

I've tried googling but the only results i've had so far is to not have a follower when i'm about to do that quest. The way i've been reading the results, it's like you'er required to read FAQ's before attempting a quest to avoid the bugs. Which is kinda asinine since that's like me being required to read a detailed synopsis before watching a movie.

Is there any way to fix it? I've been googling for two hours now and nothing useful's coming up other than simply not to do the quest. Which is too late since i'm already in it.

Maybe give disable/enable or kill/resurrect a try?

Maybe someone has made a fix, possibly trying searching on nexus.

I don't know if i'm just not using the search function in the nexus right, but i can't get results about the bug at all.

I found some comments where you can maybe sort of fix it here:

http://skyrimforums.org/threads/forsworn-conspiracy.5902/

"The player's follower is trapped in the temple when you are arrested, and the guards reappearing to arrest you again if you return to the Temple of Talos to attempt to reclaim said follower. (With me, this happened with Farkas, who I now want my items back from and to be able to do quests with. Would someone mind finding a solution?). Console Moveto commands do not fix this issue, the NPC will move to the player but then immediately begin walking back to the temple. Kill/resurrect does not help either, and neither does resetai. EDIT: Using kill commands on the guards when they reappear before initiating conversation helps SOMETIMES. You still cannot reclaim the follower if the guards were not there to console kill. (NOTE: I married my follower which got her to leave the shrine. I told her to live at my house in Whiterun. Now I cannot find her anywhere...)"

"It is possible that when "Find evidence about Thonar" and "Find evidence about Nepos" parts of the main quest are left, and you kill Nepos in his house before finding evidence about Thonar, then go back to the Shrine of Talos to inform Eltrys about the Nepos' death, your follower (if you have any at that moment) becomes one of the guards who are already waiting for you in the Shrine for your arrest. As known, you can choose to fight the guards. In this case the follower will be fighting on your side till the end. Or you can decide to pay the bounty to the guards which will prevent you from fighting, but this will prevent you from taking the next quest "No One Escapes Cidhna Mine". In both cases, after fighting the guards or paying the fine, you will be able to communicate with your follower and trade some items with him, unfortunately, he will no longer follow you. Even if you ask him to leave your service, the follower will just stay in that very Shrine of Talos. This can be fixed by actually finishing first "Find evidence about Thonar" and only then accomplishing "Find evidence about Nepos". Anyway, it is better for you to ask your follower to wait in a certain place, before finishing the quest."

Apparently the best way to fix this is to go back to a save previous to starting the quest. That's pretty much how you need to play any Bethesda game - keep an archive of your save games.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Shrine_of_Talos

Bringing a follower during The Forsworn Conspiracy quest may permanently make the follower stuck at the temple. If you are married to the follower, it may be impossible to get them out of the temple. Even after finishing the next quest (No One Escapes Cidhna Mine), the follower is still stuck. Also, waiting an entire month does not fix it nor will telling the follower to go home. No fixes have been confirmed at this point and it is not recommended to have a follower during this quest.

This bug is pretty much what makes or breaks the game for me. I'm desperately looking for a console command or something that would reset it somehow.

I don't normally condone cheating so i stay away from cheating utilities and even only consult the FAQ when i'm really stuck. But i've already had to use the console command once in this game to recover the 60,000 gold that got bugged (All the gold i've been hoarding up 'til that point and it got glitched just as i was about to buy a house!). That was literally the first time i've had to cheat in 10 years.

Looking over the FAQs now, i'm reading a ton of game breaking bugs. (It seems i have the flute and guitar permanently in my inventory now) The only way to play this game seem to be to read every detail about a quest before attempting it! I don't want to keep looking up google everytime i'm about to do something, i just want to play.

Last edited:
Try some of the following console commands (of course save before hand, and consult something like UESP for more detailed usage) -

kill/resurrect
disable/enable
addtofaction
recycleactor
resetAI
resetquest
rdf (I'm not sure if this will work for Skyrim. It is actually a not well documented command that resets dialogue I know exists in New Vegas. It resets the dialogue of an actor. You will want to check after that you haven't reset all actor dialogue though. So don't just save over if it fixes it.)

The only way to play this game seem to be to read every detail about a quest before attempting it! I don't want to keep looking up google everytime i'm about to do something, i just want to play.

The UESP Wiki has been the most complete resource for bugged Bethesda quest info I've seen since at least Oblivion. The Skyrim page can be found on the links to the left of the main page; you'll want the Skyrim Quests page in particular. Near the end of the page for each quest, you'll see a list of known bugs for each and every quest.

The other way to play is to wait a few years for the community to finalize the unofficial patches that fix all the bugs that Bethesda doesn't bother fixing because their QA department consists of the unpaid intern that got deported last Tuesday.

The UESP Wiki has been the most complete resource for bugged Bethesda quest info I've seen since at least Oblivion. The Skyrim page can be found on the links to the left of the main page; you'll want the Skyrim Quests page in particular. Near the end of the page for each quest, you'll see a list of known bugs for each and every quest.

Yeah, which is what i meant when i said that the only way to play this game seems to be to read the detailed spoilers.

I'm trying to check if there was a way to hack the save file and free up the follower. If i can't free that follower, the only choice i have is to either start over, or just abandon the game.

And this is why you should just forget about the side quests...

It's a shame, though. I myself only did very few of the optional quests and the game wasn't very epic at all. I hope I don't ruin anyone's gaming experience but I'm just gonna say that Alduin is super lame.

Unfortunately, 95% to 99% of skyrim are sidequests. My clanmate played it and stuck to me main quest. He ended up finishing the game very quickly. I on the other hand skip the faq/walkthroughs and just talk to everyone. My enchanting, sneak, forging are in their 80s, my archery is almost 100,and i haven't even talked to the graybeards yet.

No cheating, no guides, no exploits. I got to that level by playing the game as intended, which is turning out to be impossible. I needed to use the money cheat to recover the gold in lost a glitle ch., i'm still figuring out howz

Last edited:
Was replying from my phone while commuting and I got carsick :D:D

Anyway I tried the commands and I guess they'd normally work but the follower was the female hunter from the companions. Everything on her character got reset even the quest history so there's no way to restore her. I'm restoring from last week's save game. Crap!

ARRRRRGGGHHH!!!

Reloaded the save game from last week which put me back into level 20. Now i'm level 36 and ran into another fatal bug. Apparently, i finished the Reunification campaign too fast and got appointed Thane. However, the murder case which involves the house isn't solved yet so now i can't buy any furniture because the guy i'm supposed to buy them from doesn't want to talk.

I've tried looking it up and apparently there's no solution for this one either. So the only choice is to reload the game and redo all those quests... AGAIN!!!

GADAMMMIT!!!

This is the only complaint I've had with this game. Much like you, I've learned to read FAQs before going forward.

So far the only major bug I've encountered was not being able to talk to that Blade dude in Riften. His quest wouldn't start after I finished the quest before his. Used a command line to manually force it and all is well.

Now... I read before I do crap.

Okay, another bug with the follower i just came across with no clear answer.

I'm level 41 and My follower is Aela. However, she seems to go down too easily while in a fight. I tested her out by shooting her and she can be one shot killed. Heard about the enable/disable command being used to fix it. Also found a command that displays character attributes. And while it worked on Lydia (her health went from about 300 to 566). Aela went from 500 down to 380. And i'm still one hit killing her.

Bow damage is 106-140 depending on the arrow with 33fire and 33frost damage. But even then it shouldn't be taking out someone with 500 health right?

Back