Skyrim Creation Kit and Free High-Res Texture Pack Out

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you Skyrim players out there should head on over to the Steam Community site and grab the Skyrim Creation Kit and free high-res texture pack. Steam is currently being hammered so downloads right now are painfully slow so you might want to wait a bit before trying. Here are a few shots of the game with the high-res pack installed (500k images):

Now you can easily discover, rate, and download Skyrim mods directly through Steam. The Steam Workshop makes it easy to browse the most popular, newest or highest-rated mods of all time, as well as searching for specific content via tags such as “Armor”, “Quests”, “Dungeons”, and more.

Last edited:
According to Amberclad, the high-res texture pack weighs in at roughly 5GB. I guess I'll have to wait to see when the best time to download would be & what server will provide me the best throughput.

Woot for the CK...need a better GPU to enjoy the textures

People on steam are saying the texture pack sux. I'll probably install it and drop my mods over the top.

Hmm I wonder how my PC will handle it, I have stayed clear of of mods up to this point because I have no idea how my PC will do. Nobody benches with amd quads anymore! :p

I'd love to see a comparison picture or two, or several. Maybe the comparison could be landscape before/after, building before/after, items before/after and characters before/after.

Have they fixed the bugs?
I've run into the "We're gonna make them pay" bug, the key remapping bug, the Thieves' Guild completion bug, and some others.

Interesting they release this on the day Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning comes out..

YAY! Bring on the nudist armour sets! :D

Someone make me a Skyrim mod for thigh high stockings, spiked boots and ball gags... STAT! :p

wow. Downloading this now and it's going nice and fast! Good thing I have the day off too.

Now that the development kit is available, maybe someone will create a proper mod for running on multiple monitors.

a big Meh.

Detailed textures do not add realism when the lighting is completely unrealistic. Apparently realistic lighting is something Gambryo x2 can't do.

Hmm I wonder how my PC will handle it, I have stayed clear of of mods up to this point because I have no idea how my PC will do. Nobody benches with amd quads anymore! :p

It's truly remarkable what good programming can do--I've had to downsize lately to a much less powerful machine than I usually have--I'm running a 3GHz Athlon x2 (2 1-gig L2s) and a 1-gig ATi 5770, and Skyrim runs like butter with everything--except FSAA--maxed @ 1920x1080! I can run at 2xFSAA with little problem, but best 0x FSAA w FXAA turned on--that's everything set to Ultra/Max. Perfect performance--it's amazing!

It'll be interesting to see what the "hiRez" texture packs will do--but I suspect my 1-gig card will handle them fine.

I doubt your system will have any problems!

It'll be interesting to see what the "hiRez" texture packs will do--but I suspect my 1-gig card will handle them fine.

With what was available..
-- the 4k packs crushed almost everything in sigh (including some 3GB cards w/ full AA and SSAO)
-- the 2k packs need at least a 2GB card
-- the 1k packs worked well on most 1GB cards

I just need to remember when I get home to turn of auto update on skyrim...that could b bad with my current mods :p

Now that the development kit is available, maybe someone will create a proper mod for running on multiple monitors.

Ummm...there's been Eyefinity surround support for months a la WSGF. Hayden's got broken in v1.4

So I've come across some comparisons, it looks like the differences are subtle, but they are there.

Comparison 1
Vanilla
VvzJv.jpg

HRTP
J0Nal.jpg

Comparison 2
Vanilla
rnP8B.jpg

HRTP
ACUnK.jpg

Comparison 3
Vanilla
mKHzA.jpg

HRTP
lQs9s.jpg

HRTP + 2K Mod
jvDyM.jpg

Not sure if I'll bother.

It looks like they went from 256x256 textures to 512x512 textures, they're still horribly low-res.

I think I'll just stick to third party texture packs that actually... you know, have high-res textures.

dagnabbit, just finished the MQ and finally uninstalled after near 300 hours of dicking around.

in another 2 years when I do the 2nd play through w/ lots o mods I'll check it out...

:D

With what was available..
-- the 4k packs crushed almost everything in sigh (including some 3GB cards w/ full AA and SSAO)
-- the 2k packs need at least a 2GB card
-- the 1k packs worked well on most 1GB cards

I just need to remember when I get home to turn of auto update on skyrim...that could b bad with my current mods :p

Not quite true, I have a 2k pack and it worked perfectly fine on my 1.25 GB card. Only thing I had to do was turn MSAA from 8x to 4x, which really isn't that much of a concession.

I'm interested to see if this is any better than the current packs out there.

The screenshots here don't look like the texture pack is even installed. I saw another set of pictures where it was much more noticeable.

You took those shots? What are you specs? Settings? I hardly see any difference in those images whereas the actual game with / without the textures is a bog difference on my rig.
I didn't take the shots, they are from different users on the Steam forums.

So I've come across some comparisons, it looks like the differences are subtle, but they are there.

Not sure if I'll bother.

You took those shots? What are you specs? Settings? I hardly see any difference in those images whereas the actual game with / without the textures is a big difference on my rig.

:confused:
You took those shots? What are you specs? Settings? I hardly see any difference in those images whereas the actual game with / without the textures is a big difference on my rig.

Yeah I was gonna say, those shots literally look the same.

:confused:

Yeah I was gonna say, those shots literally look the same.

The distance textures don't appear to have been touched, but the detail textures (some, not all) show a definite improvement, though not outstanding. You have to set each image on a browser tab and switch between them, look at the walls, ground, table, close textures, distance shots are not gonna show much.

Better than nothing and it will give modders something better to work with.

Oh, and hi there Sabrewulf. :D

HR pack caught my attention, by the time the 6GB 7970 is available hopefully a super Uber HR mod will be out.

Ummm...there's been Eyefinity surround support for months a la WSGF. Hayden's got broken in v1.4

I was using Hayden's fix until the last update. It would be nice if multimonitor would work in the skyrim setup menu so that we would not have to run an external program to force the menus to scale properly. I am hoping that someone will use the Creation Kit to do just that.

Hmm, interesting video indeed. There are some clear improvements, especially in the fruit bowl scene. I'm still undecided if I'll download though. I'm slightly worried about a performance hit that will make me drop settings. I can currently run on ultimate @ 1680x1050 (my max res).

i7 2600k (stock clocks)
8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X
HIS AMD Radeon 6870 1GB
6gb/s 500gig HDD

The user created texture packs are still significantly better then Bethesda's... not even sure why they wasted their time with it. You get one of the FXAA injector lighting mods and a one of the good texture mods out there and the transition is just amazing.

I was looking at some screen shots of stock Skyrim with everything maxed and some screen shots I had taken and stock Skyrim maxed looked like how I would expect it to look with everything set to minimum compared to mine.

Back