Skyrim Anniversary Edition

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
If you play modded Skyrim SE, back up your executable and .ESM now, and disable updates in Steam because 11/11 is coming and will break your experience as your SSE on steam will automatically become SAE.

Me, I'm trying to get my new PC built before 11/11 hits so I can install SE before I get screwed and stuck with vanilla AE Skyrim while I wait a new SKSE and mods to be updated.

"While some players may prefer to just enjoy existing mods and not care for the Anniversary Edition – though it will include new free content, such as the ability to fish – the greater issue is that rather than a separate product listing on Steam, the Anniversary Edition is a patch to existing Special Edition installations, which makes it unavoidable unless players opt out of any updates."

Last edited:
Also, Steam removed the "never update" option.

Only thing remotely similar, is the "update at launch" option.

This may hold back the update if you are using the skse executable.

Also, Steam removed the "never update" option.

Only thing remotely similar, is the "update at launch" option.

This may hold back the update if you are using the skse executable.
"Update on launch" has been the only option for quite some time now. The problem is once the update is queued Steam won't let you launch the game in offline mode until the update is completed. You need to do some dirty stuff like deleting the manifest and something else to remove the update from Steam's memory. You need uncheck "Keep this game up to date" in the game's properties before the update is released to prevent this from happening in the first place.

If you don't want to go through the trouble after the update gets queued you can still always launch the game directly from the SKSE launcher in the game's directory instead of through Steam. The SKSE launcher doesn't need Steam to launch the game. You can also still rollback using the Steam console, app ID and manifest ID right now.

I ran into this issue when Bethesda snuck out the recent update for Fallout 3 that broke everything after 10 years and now I have to deal with that malarkey. I already backed up the game, so if I can't rollback through the Steam console I can try uninstalling from Steam and pointing Steam to the backup. I don't know if that will work, though.

Reactions: Tobit
like this

1635520166978.png

How do you disable updates in steam? Only option I see is to disable updates until I play it, but there is no 'never update' option.

Assuming modders get the AE fixed, I'd probably buy the upgrade for $5-$10 at some point on sale.
$20 (full price) + broken mods is a hard pass.

How do you disable updates in steam? Only option I see is to disable updates until I play it, but there is no 'never update' option.
Enable that option then only launch the game when Steam is in offline mode. If you start the game in online mode and the download gets queued it won't let you play the game offline until you update it. You need to make sure the disable updates option is enabled before the update gets released.
Assuming modders get the AE fixed, I'd probably buy the upgrade for $5-$10 at some point on sale.
$20 (full price) + broken mods is a hard pass.
The AE is a free forced upgrade for SKSE owners on PC. The premium upgrade just includes some additional Creator's Club content.

Patch size on PC is 5.35 GB, they also just released a 700 MB hotfix a few minutes ago.
It also seems to modify a bunch of the original SSE data files:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/qrdn4r/the_anniversary_edition_update_is_live/

SKSE 1.6 is already out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/qrepbn/pc_sse_skse64_210_preliminary_release/

There's also a downgrader patch available:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618

Additionally, the AE CC content appears to be backwards compatible with SSE. Meaning, you can take the AE upgrade, get all the CC content, then rollback to SSE.
This way you get all the AE mods, but also keep the old version of Skyrim with unbroken SKSE/etc.

Full patch notes are here but it's pretty bare:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/489830/view/5166186637305912663

CC change log

General​

•All creations have been updated so their quest (if they have one) does not initalize upon leaving Helgen, or loading a save past Helgen. Content can be encountered organically across Tamriel, or if you want to know the specifics, this informaton is available in each items’ store description.

•Fixed minor art and sound issues on several creatons.

Survival Adjustments​

We have made a number of small balance changes to Survival’s mechanics

•The rate at which your Hunger increases has been reduced by 25%.

•The rate at which your Fatigue increases has been reduced by 10%.

•The weapon speed penalties incurred while penalized by Hunger have been adjusted to 10% (Peckish), 20% (Hungry), 30% (Famished),

•40% (Starving). Was 30% / 40% / 40% / 40%.

•The Magicka and Stamina regeneration penalties incurred while penalized by Fatigue have been adjusted to 25% (Drained), 50%

•(Tired), 75% (Weary), 100% (Debilitated). Was 40% / 60% / 80% / 100%.

•Hunger now increases more quickly while sleeping.

•Sound effects for Hunger and Fatigue now play less frequently.

•Potion of Blood now restores Hunger if the player is a Vampire.

There are also several fixes​

•Fixed an issue where Seared Slaughterfish and Charred Skeever Meat restored less Hunger than intended.

•Fixed an issue where you would not warm up while in warm weathers or in warm interiors while transformed into a Werewolf or Vampire Lord.

•Fixed an issue where Cold penalties on the Health meter would not update immediately after transforming back from a Werewolf or Vampire Lord.

•Fixed an issue where the player continued to incur Survival penalties while in the Dreamstride during the quest Waking Nightmare.

•Fixed a grammatical issue in the Fatigue tutorial prompt.

•Fixed an issue where certain foods and beverages did not make the correct sounds when consumed, picked up, and dropped.

•The following armor and clothing is now classified as cold: Armor of the Old Gods & Wedding Sandals

•The following armor and clothing is now classified as warm: Boots of the Old Gods, Embellished Robes, Fur-Trimmed Cloak, Nobel Clothes, Refined Tunic & Ulfric’s Clothes.

Specific Fixes and Balance Adjustments​

Arcane Archer Pack​

•Increase damage of telekinesis arrows from 30 to 111.

•Fire Arrows will now ignite oil pools.

Bone Wolf​

•Revenge perk no long applies towards the player if they are a vampire.

•Bone wolves are now properly affected by spells that target the undead.

Dead Man's Dread​

•Added fast travel markers to docks from map inside the ship.

•Fixed LOD for Blackbone Isle.

•Slightly desaturated Captain’s Clothing to be more inline with other Skyrim outfits.

Civil War Champions​

•Fixed keyword on Tsun's Judgment from warhammer to batleaxe.

•Fixed Stormcloak officer not removing snow pelts.

Divine Crusader​

•Added note explaining why some bandits could wear Crusader armor.

After commilng multiple crimes, all Crusader's Relics will receive a penalty until the player completes a pilgrimage to remove them.

Goblins​

•Khajiit caravans now have a 15% chance of selling the Goblin Totem Staff.

Myrwatch​

•Fixed staff enchanter granting excessive XP.

Pets of Skyrim​

•Quest Journals are now droppable upon quest completion.

Plague of the Dead​

•Fixed some zombies having the wrong stats.

Saints and Seducers​

•Fixed crash that can occur when wearing the Madness Cuirass.

•Golden Saints Gauntlets and Madness Gauntlets now correctly work with the Fists of Steel perk.

•Fixed exploit allowing the player to obtain an infinite number of copies of Staada's helmet.

•Fixed summoned Staada using the wrong voice type.

•Removed errant Falmer sword floating near Bleakwind Basin.

•Fixed barricade collisions sometimes not disappearing when barricade was destroyed.

Staff of Sheogorath​

•Updated presentation of Fork of Horripilation.

•Fixed Fork of Horripilation is being at a companion's feet when equipped.

Stendarr's Hammer​

•Corrected weapon's "Smite" damage effect.

Sunder & Wraithguard​

•Fixed Sunder’s Fury effect from being tagged as fire damage.

Tundra Homestead​

•Barrels in exterior smithing area are no longer set to respawn

Last edited:
Patch size on PC is 5.35 GB, they also just released a 700 MB hotfix a few minutes ago.
It also seems to modify a bunch of the original SSE data files:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/qrdn4r/the_anniversary_edition_update_is_live/

SKSE 1.6 is already out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/qrepbn/pc_sse_skse64_210_preliminary_release/

There's also a downgrader patch available:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618

Additionally, the AE CC content appears to be backwards compatible with SSE. Meaning, you can take the AE upgrade, get all the CC content, then rollback to SSE.
This way you get all the AE mods, but also keep the old version of Skyrim with unbroken SKSE/etc.

Full patch notes are here but it's pretty bare:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/489830/view/5166186637305912663

CC change log
Good on Bethesda for giving the SKSE developer early access. At least they recognized the coming modpocalypse this time around. Unfortunately they carelessly pushed an update out to Fallout 3 that has broken everything, and I'm not sure what the state of modding is on that front.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Guy on the subreddit showed a pic of owning 3 copies of the game across all 3 Xbox consoles (360 + One + Series) with 1700 hours played.
I know console gamers hate the "PC gaming superiority" nonsense, but imagine loving Skyrim that much and playing that much on consoles. All the awesome mods you miss out on, the benefits of PC hardware, too. Skyrim is the poster child for the benefits of PC gaming.

I think it's kind of sad, honestly.

Last edited:
Did they ever fix the issue is playing the game over 60fps will break physics?

Did they ever fix the issue is playing the game over 60fps will break physics?
No. The engine has never really been updated to fix that. It's one of the few games I still play where I let it framecap/vsync to 60hz. There are 'fixes', but ultimately, I've never seen there not be issues that didn't extend to other areas of the game since as soon as you go above 60FPS it starts breaking all sorts of critical systems beyond just the physics. You'll get crashes, randomly long load times, the in-game time getting out of sync with the reported time, etc.

I run SKSE and it prevents the update from downloading. Even then, I have a full backup of Skyrim SE with every mod so I'm good if it does update.

Back