Skyrim and my 7970

Intel_Hydralisk

Supreme [H]ardness
UPDATE: It's working now. Had to uninstall and go into the steam folder and delete all the files that steam didn't delete. Just adding this for reference.

... Won't play nice with each other. The card's worked perfectly in every other game I've tried so far except for Skyrim.

Skyrim won't even launch and tells me:

skyrimfail1.jpg

If I set it to windowed mode, it tells me:

skyrimfail2.jpg

This happens regardless of what video settings I use and regardless of if I try eyefinity or single monitor mode. Editing the INI file does nothing either. I've reinstalled the drivers for the card as well as Skyrim itself.

Last edited:
doesn't surprise me. AMD makes some cool hardware, but the drivers are always lagging behind a little.

Wait a week or two

I hate to ask this but, did you grab the latest drivers from the site? If you haven't, ditched that disc and get the latest stuff from online.

Then report, and if you're still having issues we'll talk. I've seen Skyrim mentioned in 7970 reviews/user reviews and if It was a wide spread issue we sure as hell would be seeing more bitching.

So, what resolution are you attempting to launch in? Go through the preferences and see if any of the options will let it launch?

Try dropping your old GPU back in to verify the driver is good.

Last edited:
I have the drivers from the website, the CD isn't even unwrapped.

Clearly Skyrim works with 7970 since there are benches of it. I don't think this is an AMD issue.

I'm trying to launch it with ANY resolution and it won't work.

I have the drivers from the website, the CD isn't even unwrapped.

Clearly Skyrim works with 7970 since there are benches of it. I don't think this is an AMD issue.

I'm trying to launch it with ANY resolution and it won't work.

Damn. Are you running any Skyrim mods? Have you tried resetting all your video settings back to default using the Launcher App?

Back up your SkyrimPrefs.ini, then delete it; solved some Skyrim woes for me in the recent past.

... Won't play nice with each other. The card's worked perfectly in every other game I've tried so far except for Skyrim.

Skyrim won't even launch and tells me:

skyrimfail1.jpg

If I set it to windowed mode, it tells me:

skyrimfail2.jpg

This happens regardless of what video settings I use and regardless of if I try eyefinity or single monitor mode. Editing the INI file does nothing either. I've reinstalled the drivers for the card as well as Skyrim itself.

It's you. Not the card or drivers.

Worked fine for me, hardware detection sets quality to Ultra, and it's much faster than my old 6970s in Crossfire.

I've tried all sorts of video settings in the launcher and every resolution. I've outright deleted the ini files so they get recreated from scratch. I've also redownloaded and reinstalled skyrim through steam.

I uninstalled my AMD drivers from my 5870's before installing my 7970 and the 7970 drivers from AMD's website. Works amazing in every single game but Skyrim.

I know that it should work with Skyrim since there are benches and people who play it with a 7970... which is why I'm looking for a way to fix this.

It's you. Not the card or drivers.

Worked fine for me, hardware detection sets quality to Ultra, and it's much faster than my old 6970s in Crossfire.

This really isn't very helpful without some kind of suggestion as to how it's "his problem."

My safe money would have been on the all too usual AMD drivers suspect but apparently not.

Also do a DirectX install. Make sure all your DirectX files are updated.

Just to confirm, I also can run Skyrim just fine on my 7970, 11.12-based website drivers, and Win7 HP 64. I'm going to call H-street's solution as the most likely, offhand.

Back