Skype issue

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
I'm wondering if this one client of mine is outgrowing Skype.

Client has main office in NYC...where I'm at now. 4-5 staff usually at this office. They usually run Skype from headsets on their individual PCs
Branch office over in Connecticut near my office.
Another single person branch office down in Brazil.
Another staff person working from home in NY.

When they do conference calls with 3, 4, 5 people...it's fine, Skype works great.
But when their one staff member from Brazil is in the Skype conference call, after some <random> amount of minutes into the call, it will suddenly cut out on everyone...the entire conference call goes dead for all like everyone "hung up".

Now, the NYC office usually "initiates" the call, they're on a 15/2 cable connection.
I have an Untangle firewall running on a Dell PowerEdge R200 there....Duo Core and 2 gigs of RAM. IMO plenty of power for that office with usually just 4x staff and a Small Biz server.

I'm wondering if Skype just is too....for home users or 2-3 people like..and Skype itself isn't really meant for 6 or more people in one call? Or if there's something related to the likely poor internet connection of the one staff member in Brazil? But then..why wouldn't that one Brazil person just drop out of the conference call..instead of everyone dropping the call at once? Or if maybe there's something with Untangle like the attack blocker that doesn't like too much voip traffic?

I don't have an explanation, but I do have something you could kick around.

This is going to sound a bit silly, but for a total of what, 8 people? I think it would work well. You could set up a TeamSpeak or Ventrillo server at their main location in 30 minutes or so. Even when I had a pretty small pipe going to my home, I had around 10 people from all over the world call in and even with the highest bandwidth codec available in TeamSpeak 2 (this was a while back), we could have a very pleasant little conference.

Setup is easy, it's installing a program on a server and forwarding a few ports. That said, it may be too "unprofessional" in theory; I have always wanted to try it though :p

Edit: I just remembered you were a gamer, so I'm guessing my brief "setup is easy" message was unneeded :p

I have setup a TeamSpeak server....when I was running public gaming servers.
However, I think this client is cozy with Skype, and being that so many other business people are familiar with it and probably have it installed already....I might have a hard time turning this client to use something a bit more involved. You and I may be cozy with TS, but some office women here...they're prolly wanting something as simple as Skype.

I have setup a TeamSpeak server....when I was running public gaming servers.
However, I think this client is cozy with Skype, and being that so many other business people are familiar with it and probably have it installed already....I might have a hard time turning this client to use something a bit more involved. You and I may be cozy with TS, but some office women here...they're prolly wanting something as simple as Skype.

Simple is what office people want for sure!

Simple is what office people want for sure!

wow, that's quite the generalization.

You could maybe look into a hosted VOIP solution? Try something like vocalocity. Does Skype have a pay for support option?

wow, that's quite the generalization.

You could maybe look into a hosted VOIP solution? Try something like vocalocity. Does Skype have a pay for support option?

Skypes version of support is....blaming it on interruptions in traffic from your ISP. (intermittent loss of connectivity).

Which I disagree with, as loss of connectivity would create "dropped calls" regardless of how many users. Their Skype works fine with 3-4-5 users...it's flawless. But soon as either 6th or 7th person is on a conference call..specifically this guy from Brazil, with 6 users, it drops.

Yet...say just 2-3 people are having a call..and the guy from Brazil joins...the call is totally fine, no drops.

The last variable, they haven't had calls with 6 or 7 people that DONT include the guy from Brazil.

So I'm wondering if there is some sort of cap or limit being reached by say...6 or 7 people on Skype.

Does anyone here use Skype with that many...or more?

Back