Skype good or bad?

the_servicer

2[H]4U
I just got Windows 8.1 up and running. Now I am wondering if I should try Skype. Should I do it? I know a couple of people who use it and it seems potentially very useful. However, I have heard concerns about security. Apparently, some universities and other institutions have forbidden the use of Skype on their networks. So I am wondering if I should take a cue and forbid the use of Skype on my own computer. What do you think?

How badly will Skype affect my computer?

Is actually using Skype worse than merely leaving it on the Start screen, where it appeared by default?

If you can use skype, then keep it. If you don't use skype and can't find a use for it, then remove it.

When you speak about security, there are several levels that you could be talking about here - is the software secured? Is the transport of your conversation secured? Is the identity of the person at the other end of the conversation actually that person.

The software is probably pretty secure - as much as a messaging application can be.

It is already known that the messages are not totally secure.

As many like to use the same password for everything, are you actually sending messages to who you think you are.

If you do download it on Win 8.1 make sure you get the desktop version and not the metro version.

Thanks for the couple of suggestions.

Instead of asking what I should do, I probably should have asked what others do.

Not sure what you mean by what others do.

There are a bazillion instat messaging apps out there. Pick the one you like best or know the most people on.

I use Skype voice quite often for games. I don't use it quite as much for simple messaging. It is also nice to have to do conferences with family, especially when they are overseas.

Do others avoid Skype because it causes problems in other parts of the system or network?

If admins block it that is most likely because they want people working, not chatting.

While no messaging system is 100% secure as stated above, using common sense while chatting will prevent any issues.

I have used Skype and several other messengers, without issue.

Skype on my pc frequently uses %100 cpu for a few seconds. Not sure what it is doing except sitting idle in my tray.

I use skype at work and at home so it can't be that bad for your computer/security-wise

Skype user here and no problems for years with it.

Just because you use it at work and home doesn't mean it is secure.

Skype viruses / malware appear now and then, all it takes is 1 friend to get it and suddenly you get links to crap - Learn to question links sent to you!

Also knowing that MS can basically read every chat they want anytime...

If you're using it for a messenger its fine I think. But if you're using it for VOIP, i'd recommend some of the unpopular apps. I'm using something called Global Call for my long distance calling. I pay but its cheaper than any other service out right now. I cant stand the reception on the 'free talk' features on messengers. Plus I can call landlines.

Global Call

I like it a lot better now that I blocked those annoying fucking adverts.

You saw ads?

Yeah Skype has ads, usually they're just for Skype. But they appear in such a way to be really visually distracting if you have the window open in a corner of the screen. Plus the sound effects are just godawful. You can't turn all of them off (like when you log out). And they bury the option to actually quit the app, so you'll go hunting for it several times before you realize you actually have to right-click the taskbar icon (not tray icon, no in-app quit option).

I really dislike Skype and try to avoid it, but I still keep it installed because some of my business contacts only use that.

I think Google Hangouts is better for video chat, especially if you're a Chrome user. Pidgin and XChat works for text.

I use skype when I game for a voice overlay, other than that, I never use it. Wife uses it for talking to family with the camera and whatnot, but beyond that....

Back