Skype For iPhone: It's Official

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at C|Net say that Skype for the iPhone is official and should be available from the App Store sometime tomorrow.

Months after teasing us at CES with an announcement of Skype's native VoIP client for the iPhone, the free Skype for iPhone will finally be available to download from the iTunes App Store sometime on Tuesday. We got a chance to sit down with the application's principal engineer before the announcement was made at CTIA 2009, to see Skype for iPhone do its thing.

its been a good alternative on my treo 800w for when i run out of minutes.... or just want to talk forever

I guess I'm getting old or am very ignorant because I fail to see how adding a phone app to a phone is useful. I see that if you ran out of minutes on your wireless plan how it could be a backup for that but doesn't the internet use cost money as well? Wouldn't the internet use by being charged per kilobyte actually cost more per minute of talk time? It just does not seem like such a "no-brainer" to me.

The conference calling built into skype is a big thing I use with a lot of friends.

I guess I'm getting old or am very ignorant because I fail to see how adding a phone app to a phone is useful. I see that if you ran out of minutes on your wireless plan how it could be a backup for that but doesn't the internet use cost money as well? Wouldn't the internet use by being charged per kilobyte actually cost more per minute of talk time? It just does not seem like such a "no-brainer" to me.
Since the iPhone has 802.11 wireless, as does the iPod Touch, you would not be charged minutes if you were trying to make a call from, say, a coffee shop or other place that offers free Wi-Fi.

This is where the usefulness of Skype on a cell phone comes in (provided the phone has WiFi).

Since the iPhone has 802.11 wireless, as does the iPod Touch, you would not be charged minutes if you were trying to make a call from, say, a coffee shop or other place that offers free Wi-Fi.

This is where the usefulness of Skype on a cell phone comes in (provided the phone has WiFi).

And the fact that iPhone data plans are "unlimited". (Something like a 5GB cap)

unlimited data plans ftw. well, yeah- "unlimited" but still... if i run out of anytime minutes, and its during the week before 7pm ( i know, rare ) then i use skype. it uses the data plan so it doesn't touch my minutes. otherwise, yes it is a hindrance on the phone, because the app uses a lot of resources to run and really can't be left on in the background reliably.

Could i buy an iphone and just get the data plan and text plan on it? Use skype for all calls. I'm a big texter so i rarely use phone.

Could i buy an iphone and just get the data plan and text plan on it? Use skype for all calls. I'm a big texter so i rarely use phone.

Nope... you have to have a voice plan. I think they may have a stipulation for deaf people though.

Yes, but not with AT&T. Assuming it all works, you could grandfather a T-Mobile Sidekick, sign up for Sidekick Prepaid @ 1$/day, move the SIM to your iPhone, and get unlimited text, unlimited web, and $0.45/minute (ouch) calls.

damn I want an iphone....

anyone know the cheapest possible way to get one? I'm on att, but can't upgrade my contract unfortunately (did that abt 2 months ago... bah)

damn I want an iphone....

anyone know the cheapest possible way to get one? I'm on att, but can't upgrade my contract unfortunately (did that abt 2 months ago... bah)

craigslist..? I have seen some good deals on slightly scuffed up iphones.. they work fine just a little scuffed..

craigslist..? I have seen some good deals on slightly scuffed up iphones.. they work fine just a little scuffed..

cant seem to find any at reasonable prices in my area :(

its mostly 200+ bucks for a working 1st gen model..... and 120+ for one with the screen gouged out....

bah....

cant seem to find any at reasonable prices in my area :(

its mostly 200+ bucks for a working 1st gen model..... and 120+ for one with the screen gouged out....

bah....

Yeah, you need to check back often... the good deals go very fast.

When I am out of the country and need to call back to US number for pennies on the dollar.

Back