Skylake/Z170 finally available

nope, the i5-6600k is the only cpu i've seen listed on sites - all with a release date of 8/14. Haven't seen the i7-6700k listed anywhere.

Meanwhile, every store big and small in Europe had them stocked on shelves the second they were announced. WTF Intel.

Actually in most mid-range and up boards as of Z97 it's become common to have an ALC1150, or even a high-end (sometimes removeable) OP-Amp.

that so? well then i partially retract my previous statement! but i still like my x-fi :)

Looks like Intel just treated US as a secondary market for skylake? Seriously what were they thinking?

I've got to agree here. I have my mobo and ram on the way... ... ...
But no CPU.
I assumed they were going to appear on launch morning today. So, this is awkward. What do you do with a z170 board and no proc?

Any news on when the mini-itx motherboards will be released? All I'm seeing is ATX

Yeah, that's the only one I can see. I can't tell if $200 is overpriced for what you get. Any opinion? I might get that, plus the french amazon i7.

I'm kind of an EVGA fanboy but the last mobo of theirs I bought was a Sandybridge. I know their support is still top-notch but as to the actual product I'm not sure. If I were you, I'd check the evga forums for complaints (or compliments) for the x99 and Z97 Stinger models and see what people are saying.

Yeah, that's the only one I can see. I can't tell if $200 is overpriced for what you get. Any opinion? I might get that, plus the french amazon i7.

Is there a way to get amazon French in English? Aside from googles bad translation.

Mad[H]atter;1041779353 said:
Is there a way to get amazon French in English? Aside from googles bad translation.
No, but it isn't really that bad. I just ordered my i7, and it's cheaper than .com because import taxes are cheaper than sales taxes, plus Americans don't pay VAT. The website layout is exactly the same as .com, so if you've ever used that before, it's not too different.

Got tired of waiting and ordered a 5820k + GB UD3P X99 Mobo for $460 with tax. Hard to beat. Already have a h100i and 32GB of super cheap crucial DDR4 lying around. Skylake was not meant to be. Needed to upgrade my mobo more than the 2500k it houses and X99 has much more SATA ports by default than Z170. No real use for USB 3.1 or NVMe.

I wouldn't buy a motherboard till the CPU's are actually released. Those motherboards are clearly marked up and they are entry level at that, the Asus board is a step up still they shouldn't cost that much. Let alone a M5 going for over $200.

The Gigabyte Z170XP board had exactly what I was looking for. Intel NIC, 1150ALC audio, USB 3.1. No other junk. $139 was pretty reasonable.

That's a nice chip but I haven't upgraded in like 7-8 years haha. :( Coming from a i7950/x58. Still runs pretty good but had the itch to jump to skylake. But as for ram you think that is overkill? Thanks man!

That's a nice chip but I haven't upgraded in like 7-8 years haha. :( Coming from a i7950/x58. Still runs pretty good but had the itch to jump to skylake. But as for ram you think that is overkill? Thanks man!
Yeah, just a bit, lol. You could get the 32gb kit of the exact same ram instead of the 16gb kit for the same price, but slightly lower clocked.

lol right on man. Ok might have figured. Cool, yeah I was looking at something like this, without that fancy fan, but it was around $270. Is there another one that's around $450? Or is this one complete crap?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=corsiar_ddr_3200_16gb-_-20-233-797-_-Product
Oh shit, I thought you were talking about dominator platinums lol. Yeah, the dominator 3200 16gb kit is $460 on amazon. I have no idea why they are that expensive for the exact same clock as the ones you posted.

oh wow, good deal Dion! Good thing you snagged them! So you got these for a skylake build as well?

ah no worries man! I saw another member purchased those sticks as well, didn't realize how pricey they were though! Shiiiiitttt,! Good info though thanks buddy, I'll definitely look into getting 32gb 3000 vs 16gb 3200. :)

oIlgZkvl.png

Lazy French refuse to ship my thing in the middle of the night!

I am having no luck finding any place that has a i7 6700k for sale anyone else having luck?

I am in the exact same boat hahaha!

Are there any downsides to using an old PCI X-Fi on newer boards? I feel like it might just be better to use the onboard nowadays?

I have an old PCI X-Fi (which I replaced with the PCI-Express Fatality Pro) for a different reason - the original X-Fi DSP has an address flaw at the 4 GB mark, which affects every x64 OS. The SoundCore 3D DSP (in the Fatality Pro and Sound Blaster Z) does not have the flaw. Further, the same DSP is supported by Linux - directly (as an Intel HDA device). If you have decent speakers (or decent ears) don't subject them to onboard audio.

I think you might be right.. the timings do match that one. Was gonna say that would be an insane markup.

Yeah I'm thinking of ordering that one myself.

But I'm not really sure if I should just spring for the 32GB considering how long my 920 lasted me, and I'm still not entirely clear why I should go quad channel vs dual channel, and get 2x8GB instead leaving me a path to upgrade later.

These CPUs are a myth in stores so far and nobody is selling them in the US. Paper launch, Nvidia style.

Looks like Intel just treated US as a secondary market for skylake? Seriously what were they thinking?

That's what it seems like. It's available on every continent besides North America. I've read 4-6 weeks for 6700k to hit shelves here on some sites, which I hope isn't true.

These CPUs are a myth in stores so far and nobody is selling them in the US. Paper launch, Nvidia style.

I've just given up on the 6700K system I wanted to order on Wed. I literally cannot believe that Intel would have vaporlaunched both the LGA Broadwell and the Skylakes in North America. WTF??????????????????????????????????? :confused:

Broadwell was acceptable since it had very little value on the desktop, this is not. These things should be all over MC/newegg/amazon by now.

Kyle mentioned this in the Skylake article. The number of available CPUs at this time wasn't what Intel had hoped for. They never told us why, but ultimately I think the switch to 14nm has been difficult and is the cause of the shortage.

Back