Skylake Xeon benches

juanrga

2[H]4U
The Xeon thread was closed, therefore I am posting this stuff here

A-Different-View-Dual-EPYC-7601-and-Intel-Linux-Kernel-Compile-by-Core-and-Thread-1.jpg

A-Different-View-Dual-EPYC-7601-and-Intel-UB-Whetstone-by-Core-Thread.jpg

A-Different-View-Dual-EPYC-7601-and-Intel-UB-dhrystone-2-by-Core-Thread.jpg

Dual-AMD-EPYC-7601-GROMACS-DDR4-2666-57K-Atom-Draft.jpg

You could have posted the link to review... https://www.servethehome.com/dual-amd-epyc-7601-processor-performance-and-review-part-1/

And please, your bias is showing a lot. Posting charts of only perf / per core in a multi-socket & core environments :whistle:

Lets counter with only one pic even though this is Xeon-SP thread:
Dual-AMD-EPYC-7601-c-ray-Benchmark.jpg

Bottom line from article:
For those reading this article that either are not in corporate IT, or do not have to deal with per-core licensing, the AMD EPYC 7601 is a beastly CPU. Frankly, when buying your next generation of servers you should look into getting a few to run your workloads.
If you live in environments with Microsoft, Oracle, or other applications where licensing is on a per-core basis then your TCO calculations will look considerably different.
If your environment costs thousands of dollars per core, Intel is very interesting. If you are using open source software, or if you license software on a per node basis, AMD EPYC is going to be strong in many use cases. Performance even on legacy workloads is going to be extremely strong.

You could have posted the link to review... https://www.servethehome.com/dual-amd-epyc-7601-processor-performance-and-review-part-1/

And please, your bias is showing a lot. Posting charts of only perf / per core in a multi-socket & core environments :whistle:

I was awaiting to them to finish the review before posting the full links.

I could also post this bench, where a 64-core EPYC struggles to beat a 36-core Xeon, and is not that far from a 14-core Xeon

Dual-AMD-EPYC-7601-Linux-Kernel-Compile-Benchmark.jpg

but the reason why I posted the Linux per core graph (and the rest of per core graphs) is because they allow us to estimate total performance for a chip with N cores using

Total performance ~ ( Per per core ) * N * F

where F is a corrrection factor that includes stuff such as difference in frequencies. Using this formula one can get an estimation of the total performance of chips have not been benchmarked, like Platinum 8168 or EPYC 7451, but I guess some people see conspiracies elsewhere :cautious:

There is also other reasons why I posted a Whestone graph instead your beloved C-ray: "Whetstone is much better than c-ray ;)"

C-ray:

1) Contains huge number of totally unnecessary sqrt and div calculations.
1a) These could be precalculated outside the loop.
1b) These could be (pre)calculated by much faster newton-rhapsody method.

2) Calculates everything, even pixel color values, with 64-bit doubles
3) Does not use any SIMD.

AFAIK, whetstone does test more than scalar div and sqrt. c-ray practically does not.

Last edited:
pfff getting tyred of this explanation behavior , some things will be better on AMD some will be better on intel .

There is also other reasons why I posted a Whestone graph instead your beloved C-ray: "Whetstone is much better than c-ray ;)"
My beloved C-ray... I don't even care about that program but I posted it because it had the biggest win for AMD :LOL:

And you could have posted those total throughput graphs as well. There's a reason why I quoted those lines from article. Perf. per Core is important but there are lots of other factors as well which needs to be accounted when choosing the hardware.

Last edited:
My beloved C-ray... I don't even care about that program but I posted it because it had the biggest win for AMD :LOL:

I don't ask which was your motivation to post the C-Ray bench. I simply mentioned why I don't post it: its is a particularly bad bench, for reasons explained above.

And you could have posted those total throughput graphs as well. There's a reason why I quoted those lines from article. Perf. per Core is important but there are lots of other factors as well which needs to be accounted when choosing the hardware.

I already explained why I prefer to give performance per core instead a total throughput figure valid only for specific models. Also the OP was only discussing performance, not what metrics people would use to choose a server. If I was discussing those metrics, I would be discussing thermal efficiency, stability, or acquisition costs. For instance, I woulld be mentioning that the EPYC 7601 CPU is more expensive than the Gold 6150 CPU; however, I limited my discussion to performance.

I would like to contribute to this thread.
November mebbie ?
------
Only about half of the skylake-SP series is actually out right now.
I'm told the 6144's I want are October-ish.

:D

I would like to contribute to this thread.
November mebbie ?
------
Only about half of the skylake-SP series is actually out right now.
I'm told the 6144's I want are October-ish.

:D

They sell like hotcakes and have been doing so since Q4 2016 ;)

That's probably why you can't find em anywhere.
The only xeon gold processors I can get right now are the 6154,6152,6150,6148,6142 and 6140.That's less than half of the complete line.
My supplier said he got a few more SKU's yesterday, but the 6144 wasn't one of em.
S'ok...I can wait.

That's probably why you can't find em anywhere.
The only xeon gold processors I can get right now are the 6154,6152,6150,6148,6142 and 6140.That's less than half of the complete line.
My supplier said he got a few more SKU's yesterday, but the 6144 wasn't one of em.
S'ok...I can wait.

If you are one of the big companies or a tier 4, tier 3 etc datacenter you dont have this issue. Cascade Lake is shipping to the big 7 already.

You can also get them at Dell with their 14G servers. So not sure where you try to buy them.

Last edited:
What socket ?

At this point I only care about LGA3647 .

;)

I can send bribes out the the big 7 later.

Oh man.

I'm probably a dumbass , but I have committed.
I don't know tray price yet, but ;

2x Xeon Gold 6144's + heatsinks ,
about 8000$ CDN.My order goes in next week.

At least somebody will have benchies on the cream of skylake !

:eek:

Back