Skylake-X (Core i9) - Lineup, Specifications and Reviews!

So CCLx Q3 2019 and the 28 core SKLx by the end of the year.

Who the hell would buy a 28 core Skylake?! Forget overclocking, that thing will be a power hog stockm

Last edited:
So, Intel is still charging $1,000.00 for 10c/20t processors in 2018.

Laugh.jpg

Ian from Anandtech says 14++

Ian was said this was a possibility since clocks were higher and tdp was the same. Reduced heat soak due to the stim could explain this too.

I thought this was going to be called Cascade Lake anyhow or is that something else?

So with the results of the Basin Falls refresh being a resounding ”meh” that relied upon increased clocks with the soldered TIM, I finally decided to pull the trigger.

I picked up a BNIB 7940X for cheaper than you can get a 10 core and I am looking for a (preferably stateside) reputable delidding service provider. Anyone know of any companies that can take do that without destroying my processor?

Also - Squuuuueeeeeeee! Feeding the upgrade bug.

So with the results of the Basin Falls refresh being a resounding ”meh” that relied upon increased clocks with the soldered TIM, I finally decided to pull the trigger.

I picked up a BNIB 7940X for cheaper than you can get a 10 core and I am looking for a (preferably stateside) reputable delidding service provider. Anyone know of any companies that can take do that without destroying my processor?

Also - Squuuuueeeeeeee! Feeding the upgrade bug.
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/sl/products/delid

They did my 7820x.

Were did you find the deal on the 7940x?

owners of skylake-X and basin fall, need help with some answers.

- iirc mesh OC max to 32x on most chips, does basin fall allow higher OC on mesh to further reduce interconnect latency?

- desktop mobo and bios is great, I've seen in bios where they allow people to adjust voltage on individual cores. Does someone use this? say an all core 4.5ghz overclock at 1.25v, then once thats done, people would go into bios to further reduce voltage for each individual core to further reduce temp?

So a 7820x is ~$500 for 8 core, but the new 9820x 10 core is almost double the price?? WTF is wrong with Intel. Threadripper will eat them alive. I'd consider the upgrade if it was ~$600-700. Pushing $900 is absolutely ridiculous. With Threadripper out, Intel should not get away with charging these prices.

So a 7820x is ~$500 for 8 core, but the new 9820x 10 core is almost double the price?? WTF is wrong with Intel. Threadripper will eat them alive. I'd consider the upgrade if it was ~$600-700. Pushing $900 is absolutely ridiculous. With Threadripper out, Intel should not get away with charging these prices.

thats why you should wait for zen 2. improved ipc to match intel, allows higher OC possibly 4.4ghz or 4.5. much cheaper while getting more cores, and run much cooler due to 7nm. upgrading now would be really bad. instead of buying a new mobo + zen2 TR, intel is using the fact that you only have to pay for new CPU to upgrade and try to get away with it

Got my 7820X for $400 a while back. The prices have gone up on it since it's been EOL'd.

They know the existing x299 users who bought the 7820x are considering upgrading for the lanes. If the 9920x (12 core at $1189) OCs to 5ghz I will pull the trigger.

It really looks like this is just the same chip with some more cache, a slight clock bump, and a soldered IHS. Unless your choked for lanes or want a little more headroom for OC you wont see much gain.

I'm surprised there aren't any reviews on the 9800x yet. Mine will be delivered tomorrow but I am not sure if I should actually use it, lol.

Yeah I saw that article earlier today as well. I am surprised that the 9900k performs better than the 9980xe, but I don't know anything about After Effects, it must be mostly single threaded.

Man seems nobody even cares about the Basin Falls stuff outside the 9980xe. Microcenter selling 7940x for 999 now too. I really wanted to see if the new cache increases gave gaming a bump.

Man seems nobody even cares about the Basin Falls stuff outside the 9980xe. Microcenter selling 7940x for 999 now too. I really wanted to see if the new cache increases gave gaming a bump.

I doubt it. The only reason the "mainstream" platform fares better is because of the Ring Bus. With the mesh, you don't get the same FPS with the same clockspeed.

I doubt it. The only reason the "mainstream" platform fares better is because of the Ring Bus. With the mesh, you don't get the same FPS with the same clockspeed.

More cache implies less need to use the interconnect. So it would improve game performance.

More cache implies less need to use the interconnect. So it would improve game performance.

I can see that. Just in the 8 core/16 thread variety they went from 20MB to 11MB (5960X and 6900k vs. 7820X) and now back to 16.5MB (9800X). Not sure if that's enough difference to improve game performance. I guess we'll see.

So far not super impressed with this 9800x. I decided to open it because there isn't any info out there. I hope it OCs well, otherwise the jokes on me...

Well, that's a bummer. When are we getting that fast ring bus on a platform with more than a measly 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes + 4 more PCIe 3.0 lanes for literally everything else on the DMI link for a change?

That's the problem both Intel and AMD's "mainstream" desktop platforms have. I don't need more than 8 cores, especially not at a deficit to single-threaded performance (Amdahl's Law, DCS not having switched to Vulkan yet, ArmA 3, etc.), but when NVMe SSDs are becoming the standard (usually four lanes each) and I have intentions to use things like PCIe x4 video capture/framegrabber cards, PCIe x4 USB 3.0 quad-channel cards (or USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3.0), and my trusty little X-Fi Titanium HD, 16 lanes from the CPU just isn't going to cut it any more.

I was hoping that the i7-9800X would strike a good balance, but maybe that's not the case after all, especially if it can't actually hit 5 GHz reliably.

Well, that's a bummer. When are we getting that fast ring bus on a platform with more than a measly 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes + 4 more PCIe 3.0 lanes for literally everything else on the DMI link for a change?

That's the problem both Intel and AMD's "mainstream" desktop platforms have. I don't need more than 8 cores, especially not at a deficit to single-threaded performance (Amdahl's Law, DCS not having switched to Vulkan yet, ArmA 3, etc.), but when NVMe SSDs are becoming the standard (usually four lanes each) and I have intentions to use things like PCIe x4 video capture/framegrabber cards, PCIe x4 USB 3.0 quad-channel cards (or USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3.0), and my trusty little X-Fi Titanium HD, 16 lanes from the CPU just isn't going to cut it any more.

I was hoping that the i7-9800X would strike a good balance, but maybe that's not the case after all, especially if it can't actually hit 5 GHz reliably.

Yeah I am really hoping the 9800x-9920x can overclock well. I got a new RAM kit that I OC'd to DDR4000 17-19-19-39-1T tRFC 300 (stable). My latency went from 72-74ns to 52-54ns on a 7820x, which has very little L3 per core. Read/Write bandwidth are both 100+. I am really curious with the L3 cache bumps if the gap is going to get closed on Ring.

Yeah I am really hoping the 9800x-9920x can overclock well. I got a new RAM kit that I OC'd to DDR4000 17-19-19-39-1T tRFC 300 (stable). My latency went from 72-74ns to 52-54ns on a 7820x, which has very little L3 per core. Read/Write bandwidth are both 100+. I am really curious with the L3 cache bumps if the gap is going to get closed on Ring.

Everything I am hearing is that the new processors overclock the same. Doesn't seem like latency improved either.

Back