Skylake-X (Core i9) - Lineup, Specifications and Reviews!

Asking all humble men to thank amd by liking this post. I mean anyone else believe intel wouldn't have raped you on these processor if AMD didn't have Threadripper coming?

Now I cant wait until they put the 7820x on retail edge for 299 lol. I will upgrade then. IDK how I get this deal still I work for business devision in AT&T, I guess just because company has retail presence we all qualify. Otherwise I would be seriously considering threadripper for my next build.

The higher core counts is absolutely useless for gaming.

Is that really true though? While the game might not use more cores/threads, it does leave additional threads available for windows and other background applications to run/

That was even a wishful dream with 16C vs 12C with much higher IPC and clocks. You expect AMD with 16C vs 18C too? AMD cant win in the server space, that's something they said via their CFO. And this is no different.

The neat little L2 cache trick doesn't apply anymore either.

Stock vs stock...

Zen 16c vs SKL-X 12c? My money is on Zen, except for games and lightly threaded tasks, and except for a couple niche cases that use AVX512.
Zen 16c vs SKL-X 18c? Skylake will dominate that one. Honestly, it won't even be all that close. If someone thinks otherwise, it's time to put down the crack pipe.

OC vs OC... who knows. I've heard some bullsh*t about Threadripper OCing better than Ryzen. Which to me doesn't make much sense (maybe just another hype train thing), but I guess we'll see soon enough. Aside from the usual LN2 crazy benchmarks surfacing on the usual sites today, no clue on Skylake-X yet, though I expect higher ceilings than Broadwell.

Stock vs stock...

Zen 16c vs SKL-X 12c? My money is on Zen, except for games and lightly threaded tasks, and except for a couple niche cases that use AVX512.
Zen 16c vs SKL-X 18c? Skylake will dominate that one. Honestly, it won't even be all that close. If someone thinks otherwise, it's time to put down the crack pipe.

OC vs OC... who knows. I've heard some bullsh*t about Threadripper OCing better than Ryzen. Which to me doesn't make much sense (maybe just another hype train thing), but I guess we'll see soon enough. Aside from the usual LN2 crazy benchmarks surfacing on the usual sites today, no clue on Skylake-X yet, though I expect higher ceilings than Broadwell.

You really expect 16core zen to be totally blown away by 18core skylake X? We don't know the base clock for either so we will see. But when it comes down to price AMD will likely own it hands down. People will really think about spending that extra 800, that is some serious money if top end zen is priced at 1200 indeed.

You really expect 16core zen to be totally blown away by 18core skylake X? We don't know the base clock for either so we will see. But when it comes down to price AMD will likely own it hands down. People will really think about spending that extra 800, that is some serious money if top end zen is priced at 1200 indeed.

Oh, on price? No. I'm sure AMD will win on price. I meant in absolute performance only.

Is that really true though? While the game might not use more cores/threads, it does leave additional threads available for windows and other background applications to run/

And how much do you run again in the background? The concept have already been tried and its been reintroduced again now in Windows 10. It makes nada difference.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...xkaby-lake-x-chips-still-use-low-quality-tim/

This news comes directly from reputable sources in the overclocking scene who have confirmed that Intel is still using TIM, instead of solder, with its new chips. Consumers can expect temperatures of around 85C+ from a 10-core i9-7900X at 1.3V using high-end air cooling. Given that 1.3V is still far from the highest Vcore many overclockers will be dialling in, this is certainly a disappointment.

Furthermore, our sources tell us that many consumers will struggle to go above 1.3V while overclocking on air due to a lack of thermal headroom
, indicating that Skylake-X chips may be no better than Broadwell-E CPUs when it comes to overclocking. We are hearing that this lack of thermal headroom is directly linked to Intel’s poor-quality TIM.

What the fuck Intel. TIM has no place in the HEDT space. Looks like you're gonna have to delid and go custom water to get the most out of these chips.

Stock vs stock...

16 SB-E style cores vs 12 SKL-X cores? ;)

As I said before, AMD already told the result for the server segment via their CFO. Naples already flopped.

Threadripper will only OC worse if anything. And even a dual 1800X stock die design is close to 250W TDP. Its certainly not going to OC better than Ryzen chips. Its just 2 Ryzen chips on a package.

SKL-X first tries on LN2 is 5.8Ghz.

WR-Table.png

Lets take a guess at $2399 for the 18 core.

Amd will be like $999 dor thier 16 core...

Now lets see if AMD forces Intel to price battle.

Oh, on price? No. I'm sure AMD will win on price. I meant in absolute performance only.

I highly dont 2 more cores give you insane amount of performance though. Also I don't think intel expects to sell alot of those. It just there to say we have more cores lol.

16 SB-E style cores vs 12 SKL-X cores? ;)

They aren't SB-E like for throughput tasks. For those, it's more like 16 Haswell cores vs. 12 Skylake cores.

As I said before, AMD already told the result for the server segment via their CFO. Naples already flopped.

I don't remember reading this. Got a link handy?

Threadripper will only OC worse if anything. And even a dual 1800X stock die design is close to 250W TDP. Its certainly not going to OC better than Ryzen chips. Its just 2 Ryzen chips on a package.

SKL-X first tries on LN2 is 5.8Ghz.

*shrug* I thought that was odd too. But I did wonder if the yields have improved, or if Threadripper was getting some cherry picked dies or something. As for LN2, love it... wish I had some laying around. But even [H] folks don't exactly have it laying around. Much more curious to see air and liquid cooled OCing performance. We'll start seeing relatively soon, and I expect Kyle to do some magic with it. It's good sh*t so far. Very pleased to see this much action in the market man. Exciting times.

They JUST announced it... now since we know your a paid Intel marketing intern jockey or whatever post some official evidence of your claim.

Its quite a while ago. Just scroll back in the thread.

Well that price is retarded and it probably lacks ecc anyways. Like I said lets see if AMD can run the prices down from that.

I don't see anything at all wrong with the prices. However I am very confident the i9s will not support ECC. If it did I would be all over the 18C / 36T at the $1999 price tag provided the clocks were high enough.

AMD financial analyst event and financial Q1 results with full year outlook. Even Q2 margins will be down 1%.

Again, don't remember the CFO trashing Naples or saying it was going to fail in the server space, which would be damned odd for someone on the ELT to say even if it were true. But I haven't been reading all the new sh*t that's been released the last few weeks, either. With Volta, Vega, Threadripper, Epyc, i9 series... information overload, ya know? So if you've got a link for that statement somewhere, I'm game to read it.

Again, don't remember the CFO trashing Naples or saying it was going to fail in the server space, which would be damned odd for someone on the ELT to say even if it were true. But I haven't been reading all the new sh*t that's been released the last few weeks, either. With Volta, Vega, Threadripper, Epyc, i9 series... information overload, ya know? So if you've got a link for that statement somewhere, I'm game to read it.

When you dont expect revenue to increase on a new product and your share is close to 0. Not to mention margins wont increase. And your biggest PR win is that Dropbox is "evaluating" (read not buying). Then the result is what?

AMD will promote Naples and any product like the best thing ever. Just as all the AMD products before.

But the outlook says it all, because you cant lie there.

Well that price is retarded and it probably lacks ecc anyways. Like I said lets see if AMD can run the prices down from that.

Not many home PC desktop builds use ECC, if you need that then buy a Xeon. And if those prices are "retarded", then I guess getting 8 more cores than the 6950X for only $300 more just has you in stitches. Drove the 10 core price down to where the 8 core was 2 years ago duh duh duh.

These halo products ain't for everybody. There aren't many people who "need" this sort of CPU in a home PC. These are for people who like to build [H]ard rigs

When you dont expect revenue to increase on a new product and your share is close to 0. Not to mention margins wont increase. And your biggest PR win is that Dropbox is "evaluating" (read not buying). Then the result is what?

AMD will promote Naples and any product like the best thing ever. Just as all the AMD products before.

Interesting. Did the report separate server sales specifically, and say that server CPU revenue would not increase, or was it more general? Because if it's more general, it could represent a shift in the market. I.e. more sales in one area, less in another. Which, given that AMD is trying hard to make a lot of changes in how it does business, would not be unexpected.

If it was specifically server sales, then I have to wonder why they'd even bother releasing it at this point.

OC and ECC, kinda silly. Pick one, not both.

No one said that. Shintai your like a walking shit spewer. Everywhere you go the thread turns into a shit hurricane blowing everywhere.

Stop injecting assumptions into threads.

No one said that. Shintai your like a walking shit spewer. Everywhere you go the thread turns into a shit hurricane blowing everywhere.

Yes, yes he is. But to be fair to him, he was much closer than I was on Intel's pricing for Skylake-X. So I have to grant him that, at least.

Its a bad day for you?

Not many home PC desktop builds use ECC, if you need that then buy a Xeon. And if those prices are "retarded", then I guess getting 8 more cores than the 6950X for only $300 more just has you in stitches. Drove the 10 core price down to where the 8 core was 2 years ago duh duh duh.

These halo products ain't for everybody. There aren't many people who "need" this sort of CPU in a home PC. These are for people who like to build [H]ard rigs

How do you define home pc? You act like grandpa is going to be building this to watch videos of his grandparents.

Seriously I amongst tens of thousands of others are running dedicated ECC filled servers in our homes. One of mine is for business in my HOME. Who have you heavenly authoriry to define that home users wouldnt want a certain feature over another in an expensive cpu.

Your just using your own emotion to push your POV.

Interesting. Did the report separate server sales specifically, and say that server CPU revenue would not increase, or was it more general? Because if it's more general, it could represent a shift in the market. I.e. more sales in one area, less in another. Which, given that AMD is trying hard to make a lot of changes in how it does business, would not be unexpected.

If it was specifically server sales, then I have to wonder why they'd even bother releasing it at this point.

You know AMD doesn't do that. Explain to me why new products gives lower margins and no revenue increase. AMD stocks dropped a historical amount after the Q1 result for the same reason. And for servers? Its some vague maybe we reach 10% share in 2020. That's what AMD said at analyst day.

Its a bad day for you?

These forums used to be a fair and balanced exchange of information bur anytime ANYONE speaks of anything AMD or gets one little tidbit wrong about Intel your like a nuclear powered my perfection is superior to your existence kind of person. Go outside and ride a bike or kayak for a change man. Get out of the basement.

You know AMD doesn't do that. Explain to me why new products gives lower margins and no revenue increase. AMD stocks dropped a historical amount after the Q1 result for the same reason. And for servers? Its some vague maybe we reach 10% share in 2020. That's what AMD said at analyst day.

Dude, I'm not even arguing with you on whether or not it's true. I'm just asking for the link to where you found this so I can read it, because I'm not seeing it in the slide decks. Wherever you read it, just send me that.

Anyway, that aside, I kind of want to get back to gushing about the awesomeness of getting piles of cheap cores from BOTH companies now. Seriously. The CPU market hasn't been this interesting since Nehalem.

Anyway, that aside, I kind of want to get back to gushing about the awesomeness of getting piles of cheap cores from BOTH companies now. Seriously. The CPU market hasn't been this interesting since Nehalem.

More idle cores isn't interesting for the consumer. Hence why something like 7800X, 7820X and CFL-S is the most interesting parts. I am even willing to bet you that all Threadripper CPUs and any SKL-X at 12C or higher all combined will sell less than 100K CPUs, in their lifespan.

And you have had a steady flow of more new cheap cores in the server space for ages.

More idle cores isn't interesting for the consumer. Hence why something like 7800X, 7820X and CFL-S is the most interesting parts.

And you have had a steady flow of more new cheap cores in the server space for ages.

*sigh* You missed the point entirely. See, the 7820X *is* the most interesting on that list, IMHO. We're talking 8 cores for a reasonable price. Yesterday this was $1050. Now $600 for a faster one (or $300-$450 for a slower AMD version). It's a huge deal man, don't minimize it. Now, yeah... I don't see Joe Dirt going and buying himself an 18 core monster. But we're going to see 6 and 8 core chips become a LOT more common. And that's movement I can get behind.

*sigh* You missed the point entirely. See, the 7820X *is* the most interesting on that list, IMHO. We're talking 8 cores for a reasonable price. Yesterday this was $1050. Now $600 for a faster one (or $300-$450 for a slower AMD version). It's a huge deal man, don't minimize it. Now, yeah... I don't see Joe Dirt going and buying himself an 18 core monster. But we're going to see 6 and 8 core chips become a LOT more common. And that's movement I can get behind.

That's just normal evolution due to the datacenter. Most interesting thing since Nehalem? Absolutely not.

Sandy Bridge for example just to name the most obvious. CFL with 4C/8T, 4Ghz turbo and 15W in a gaming laptop? Huge too.

Okay, I see these predictions in the CFO's commentary, on Page 7 with regards to 2017 as a whole:

"Revenue to increase low double digit percentage y/y,"
"To improve non-GAAP gross margin and achieve non-GAAP net income"

So the CFO is saying that revenue is expected to increase, and that margins are expected to increase, along with a return to profitability. Although I don't know why he's saying "non-GAAP." That just seems odd that he wouldn't use GAAP in this commentary.

Back