Skylake-X (Core i9) - Lineup, Specifications and Reviews!

Ah would have liked for the 8 core version to be ~500 but think i was a bit to optimist about it. Now for the mobo prices...

232_zpseanprgok.jpg

LL_zpspwqfaugp.jpg

Very fair pricing IMHO. Even if AMD prices the 16C at $999, Intel's 4.5 GHz Turbo for the 10C will give them a significant performance per core advantage that will be reflected in games and many apps. You could make a case for both chips, depending on your priorities. To me the real gem is 7820X, it's the best balance between ST/MT without breaking the bank.

Last edited:
Very fair pricing IMHO. Even if AMD prices the 16C at $999, Intel's 4.5 GHz Turbo for the 10C will give them a significant performance per core advantage that will be reflected in games and many apps. You could make a case for both chips, depending on your priorities. To me the real gem is 7900X, it's the best balance between ST/MT without breaking the bank.

I'm a fan of the 7820X personally, you get 80% of the performance of the 7900X for a little more than half the price (it's cheaper per core than a 7700K!) and while 28 lanes seemed gimped, we have to remember that it is still a huge improvement over 16; single GPU users can have their GPU plus a boatload of storage and networking devices without taking a performance hit.

I'm a fan of the 7820X personally, you get 80% of the performance of the 7900X for a little more than half the price (it's cheaper per core than a 7700K!) and while 28 lanes seemed gimped, we have to remember that it is still a huge improvement over 16; single GPU users can have their GPU plus a boatload of storage and networking devices without taking a performance hit.

Oops, I meant 7820X as well! :)

Interesting how the 7920x and 7940x are only marginally more expensive than the 7900x. Kind of like they want you to be tempted to spend that little bit extra to get all those additional cores. If the boost clock is still 4.5 those will be interesting options too.

Imagining the rage of a guy who's delid of 7980XE went wrong is what makes me moist, personally.

Well... More power to Intel i guess, we'll see how that works out soon.
Yeah my concern is that Intel is very hit and miss with this approach, life would be simpler if they had just left it alone.
So fingers crossed their Die-TIM-IHS is ideal design and implementation for Skylake-X, and not sure they would launch the 18C if it did have performance scaling issues, but like you the hit/miss success of this still keeps me wary until benchmarked.

That said we only know of up to the 6-core using the more usual consumer IHS approach, could be another differentiator to higher HEDT GPUs but not sure Intel would add such logistics to the manufacturing line process but there is a jump between 8C and 10C that may include this *shrug*; the 6950X was a great 10C for OC and could comfortably do 4GHz all cores with the Noctua D15 air cooler.
More likely Intel are confident they have finally found a good enthusiast solution with the IHS implementation on Skylake-X, just need to see how 'enthusiast' level this ends up :)

Just to add; for me the pick would be 7820X as well.
Cheers

Last edited:
Yeah, that 7820X looks real nice. If I were building today, or at least whenever these things hit the shelves, that's what I'd be going with. Wouldn't want to be a guy who bought a Broadwell in the last few months, though. Half the price and a good performance bump.

Overall a *lot* better pricing than I expected from Team Blue.

Very excited to see the benchmarks between Threadripper and the i9 series. I love the smell of competition in the morning!

Dam that 7820X does look yummy. $599 is kinda steep tho. I'm hoping that isn't the final pricetag when it hits shelves. I'm in the market for an upgrade and was considering the 7700K path and waiting my pockets are burning already.

Dam that 7820X does look yummy. $599 is kinda steep tho. I'm hoping that isn't the final pricetag when it hits shelves. I'm in the market for an upgrade and was considering the 7700K path and waiting my pockets are burning already.

Nah, that's a very aggressive price. Consider that Ryzen 8 cores are in the $300-$450 range, presently. And the 7820X will outperform it. So $599 is damned fair, IMHO. Enough that if this was available earlier this year, I'd have gone that route for sure.

Nah, that's a very aggressive price. Consider that Ryzen 8 cores are in the $300-$450 range, presently. And the 7820X will outperform it. So $599 is damned fair, IMHO. Enough that if this was available earlier this year, I'd have gone that route for sure.

Well, looks like I'll have to break my kid's piggy bank to get the rest of the funds needed. He ain't gonna like it :D

Just remember, guys: Intel nearly doubling the amount of cores available to HEDT has NOTHING TO DO with AMD's sudden competitive lineup.

As we ALL KNOW, Intel was offering us the absolute MOST it possibly could, and wasn't at all stagnant prior to having real competition.

/s

Using same kind of sarcasm, AMD releasing Threadripper with double the number of cores of RyZen is NOT a reaction to SKL-X, and ThreadRipper NOT appearing in the old desktop roadmaps was a fortuitous causality...

Will enjoy seeing Epyc and the 7nm Threadripper versions next year make Intel cry and do unprecedented things like this again.

That server chip EPYCally destroyed by Xeons? Also I guess the claim we will see 7nm Threadripper version next year must be some kind o nerdy joke or something because AMD 7nm CPUs will see the light in late 2019 or early 2020.

I can see a lot of people going for the i7-7800x. That will be the sweet spot of the bunch for sure.

Very fair pricing IMHO. Even if AMD prices the 16C at $999, Intel's 4.5 GHz Turbo for the 10C will give them a significant performance per core advantage that will be reflected in games and many apps. You could make a case for both chips, depending on your priorities. To me the real gem is 7820X, it's the best balance between ST/MT without breaking the bank.

Fair pricing? Are you kidding? The 18C/36T is $2,000 bucks, and we haven't even seen the performance for that sucker yet. No one in their right mind would pay $2,000 dollars on a processor with a potential TDP that's through the roof, with marginally weaker cores with very little performance benefit at THAT price.

Fair pricing? Are you kidding? The 18C/36T is $2,000 bucks, and we haven't even seen the performance for that sucker yet. No one in their right mind would pay $2,000 dollars on a processor with a potential TDP that's through the roof, with marginally weaker cores with very little performance benefit at THAT price.

Consider that they were charging nearly this much for a 10 core Broadwell. It's a vast improvement. But the 18 core chip isn't the value proposition in the lineup anyway. That appears to belong to the $599 8 core 7820X.

Consider that they were charging nearly this much for a 10 core Broadwell. It's a vast improvement. But the 18 core chip isn't the value proposition in the lineup anyway. That appears to belong to the $599 8 core 7820X.

But I thought the whole point was to compete with the ThreadRipper and Ryzen. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose if even Ryzen's 8 core beats the i9 in price/performance?

The fact that you cannot buy 44 PCIe for less than $999 is big f. no to me. 28 PCIe lines won't do it. Overclock is aggressive out of box but won't do much better than that. I already run 6900k @ 4.5Ghz on all cores really low temperatures, with slight voltage bump. Considering that my CPU has 40 PCIe and new CPU 8/16 has only 28 PCIe and better IPC 10% at most...no thanks. I am more interesting to see what AMD does.

Speaking of 18 Core CPUs, f. that soon you will be able to pick up Xeon 22 Cores Broadwell running same clock speed for dirt cheap.

But I thought the whole point was to compete with the ThreadRipper and Ryzen. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose if even Ryzen's 8 core beats the i9 in price/performance?

Intel will continue to charge a premium vs. AMD competition. Intel is in the dominant market position with a more attractive brand. They'd be foolish to price match AMD on a performance level. Intel is selling you a premium product at a premium price (though a much more fair premium compared to Broadwell).

Want a modern 8 core CPU? AMD will sell you a cheap one at between $300 and $450, depending on desired model. Intel will now sell you a faster one at $600. Fair.
I imagine we'll see a similar situation with Skylake-X vs Threadripper. Though Intel has shown us prices a lot more reasonable than I expected out of them.

One thing is certain, between AMD and Intel, prices just came down on high core count CPUs in a huge way. Consumer wins, all around.

This is getting more fun. Now that is a massive, extremely massive lineup to Intel new HEDT platform :LOL:. Will be very interesting how AMD Ryzen and Skylake X higher core counts perform. On highly threaded workloads I am suspecting AMD will win out.

Which should be better for gamers? Skylake-X or wait and see about Coffeelake? I plan to upgrade from my Devils Canyon 4690k OC'd to 4.3ghz on water.

I'll be picking up a 7820x. Any guesses on what Asus is going to want for their ROG Strix X299-E? Also, what memory would you put pair with it? 4x4gb 4000MHz? I am starting to put my shopping list and budget together.

Intel is faster, better perf/watt, better platform, better features etc. Of course it cost more.

You must work for Intel Marketing or own a fair bit of Intel stock...;)

BTW, which ass cheek do you have the Intel logo tattooed on?:ROFLMAO:

I'll be picking up a 7820x. Any guesses on what Asus is going to want for their ROG Strix X299-E? Also, what memory would you put pair with it? 4x4gb 4000MHz? I am starting to put my shopping list and budget together.

8x16gb dude.

Intel is faster, better perf/watt, better platform, better features etc. Of course it cost more.

The one better feature the i9s will not have that AMD will have is ECC. I know that most users will not care about that but I do.

The rest of your list I fully expect to be true. Although if you can get a 16C AMD for 10C or 12C Intel price one can argue the faster part on multithreaded loads even though it won't win on a per core bases.

Last edited:
This is getting more fun. Now that is a massive, extremely massive lineup to Intel new HEDT platform :LOL:. Will be very interesting how AMD Ryzen and Skylake X higher core counts perform. On highly threaded workloads I am suspecting AMD will win out.

That was even a wishful dream with 16C vs 12C with much higher IPC and clocks. You expect AMD with 16C vs 18C too? AMD cant win in the server space, that's something they said via their CFO. And this is no different.

The neat little L2 cache trick doesn't apply anymore either.

Which should be better for gamers? Skylake-X or wait and see about Coffeelake? I plan to upgrade from my Devils Canyon 4690k OC'd to 4.3ghz on water.

You ain't the only one. I've been with my current setup for 3 years now and i have funds burning a hole in my pocket.

Unless you absolutely want 16/16 SLI/CF for a handful of games. Then it´s hard to see value in anything above 7800X/7820X(stock clocks) and CFL-S. The higher core counts is absolutely useless for gaming.

CFL-S (6/12) will have 12MB L3 but still 256KB L2 and dual channel. While SKL-X will have 1MB L2 and L3 depending on core count and quad channel.

On a fun note, SKL-X passed the Tflop barrier for consumer CPUs.

Last edited:
Back