Skylake-X (Core i9) - Lineup, Specifications and Reviews!

Intel: even more winning with LESS pcie lanes and "raid keys."

As demonstrated in this thread by a mobo editor, both AMD and Intel have the same total number of lanes, the difference being that Intel offers PCIe3 for all the lanes, whereas AMD offers a mixture of Pcie3 and Pcie2.

Similar thoughts about the superiority of RAID support and other elements on the X299 platform.

About pricing, I always enjoy the double standards. Overall the TR 1950X is only 71% faster than R7 1700 in productivity, but it costs 3x more.

1.71/3 = 0.57

Result? Lots of praise for the 1950X. Youself recommended a 1950X only a pair of posts above.

But if Intel offers 10--20% more performance for extra $800 then Intel is not worth... :whistle:

1.1 / 1.8 = 0.61

1.2 / 1.8 = 0.67

So performance/price ratios are only an excuse, because they are applied selectively to attack Intel hardware.

Same happened with games. Double standards. Skylake-X playing games only 10% worse than the best gaming CPU was considered a kind of disaster, but RyZen being 20--40% behind in same games is "good enough for gaming". :rolleyes:

This gives me a headache. You are comparing a mainstream cpu to an HEDT cpu.
A 1950x should be compared to a 1900x and NOT a 1700. Here, things a more linear, at least multi threaded.

Again, extra emphasis on gaming, especially 1080p and below. NOT the target of a 16 core processor.

The 7960x is currently $1800 on the egg. The 1950x is around $900. There is no double standard here. This is an AWFUL price/performance proposition.

You can do your little rolley eye emoticons all you want. Your posts are just looking desperate and defensive at this point.

A 1950x should be compared to a 1900x and NOT a 1700. Here, things a more linear, at least multi threaded.

Again, extra emphasis on gaming, especially 1080p and below. NOT the target of a 16 core processor.

The 7960x is currently $1800 on the egg. The 1950x is around $900. There is no double standard here. This is an AWFUL price/performance proposition.

You can do your little rolley eye emoticons all you want. Your posts are just looking desperate and defensive at this point.
He has Intel math on his side. Hard to argue with that. People want 30% performance for double the price of a competitor. /s

Laws of physics are universal, they don't stop working when moving from HEDT to mainstream or viceverse. neither when moving from AMD to Intel or viceverse.

What in Gods name are you talking about? Dude, seriously.

Pretty simple. I am mentioning that price is not a linear function of performance, I am explaining it is a consequence of the nonlinearity of the laws of physics, and I am demonstrating that you and others here have double standards against Intel products. You reject i9-7960X in base to a performance/price metric, but then you recommend TR-1950X despite having worse performance/ratio than other chips.

Pretty simple. I am mentioning that price is not a linear function of performance, I am explaining it is a consequence of the nonlinearity of the laws of physics, and I am demonstrating that you and others here have double standards against Intel products. You reject i9-7960X in base to a performance/price metric, but then you recommend TR-1950X despite having worse performance/ratio than other chips.
Basically he is saying that even though the AMD has way better price/performance, it is not an Intel cpu and sucks.
This goes for anything other than Intel and any cpu. Yes, pretty simple.

Basically he is saying that even though the AMD has way better price/performance, it is not an Intel cpu and sucks.
This goes for anything other than Intel and any cpu. Yes, pretty simple.

My reply to him involved a comparison of price/performance for TR-1950X vs R7-1700. And a former reply to you involved the 1800X as well:

The same than AMD's 1800X loses in price/performance to AMD's 1700. Not a mystery here, just a consequence of the laws of physics not being linear... ;)

The three CPUs are from AMD. You Intel rants don't apply here.

My reply to him involved a comparison of price/performance for TR-1950X vs R7-1700. And a former reply to you involved the 1800X as well:

The three CPUs are from AMD. You Intel rants don't apply here.
I think we all know where you stand. ;)

4.7 at 1.2 volts is pretty good that's what mine did before it died. after i delidded it and temps were manageable i was running 4.8 at 1.275v and could push that to 4.9 ghz at same voltage for lots of benchmarks esp 3D ones as they are not that hard on CPU generally. worst i've heard is somoene getting one needing upwards of 1.3v to do 4.7 so that should give you a decent range I guess but its always hard to say if it was the cpu or if perhaps it was their crappy mobo but 4.7 ghz is pretty much a given on them from what i have seen.

4.7 at 1.2 volts is pretty good that's what mine did before it died. after i delidded it and temps were manageable i was running 4.8 at 1.275v and could push that to 4.9 ghz at same voltage for lots of benchmarks esp 3D ones as they are not that hard on CPU generally. worst i've heard is somoene getting one needing upwards of 1.3v to do 4.7 so that should give you a decent range I guess but its always hard to say if it was the cpu or if perhaps it was their crappy mobo but 4.7 ghz is pretty much a given on them from what i have seen.

So how'd yours die? Warranty come through?

So how'd yours die? Warranty come through?

99% sure at this point it was my fault, got complacent with some fittings on my top radiator and they developed a small leak and it must have leaked onto the back of the motherboard while i was at work one day.. came home first try to boot it initialized VGA then froze up and every attempt sense then results in a dead cpu post code after initializing cpu and ram but before VGA. i bought a 7740x for testing and it wouldn't work in the old board either so i exchanged the board for a new one and it works on the 7740x but the 7820x is definitely dead as a door nail. I would have exchanged the cpu but i delidded it twice and on 2nd delid (was already dead and was just making sure it wasn't LM somewhere it shouldn't be) i busted off the two useless SMT resistors/caps next to the RFID chip so it has visible external damage now :S live and learn.

Last edited:
Mine runs 4.7 at 1.22v. Solid as a rock and temps are well under control.

Water cooled, delidded? I want ti avoid delid if I can. My water blocks dont have a 2066 bracket. So im air cooling until I get a mounting solution andnair cooling these chips sucks.

Water cooled, delidded? I want ti avoid delid if I can. My water blocks dont have a 2066 bracket. So im air cooling until I get a mounting solution andnair cooling these chips sucks.

Right now it's not delidded. My H110i is actually doing well keeping it cool. It's runs mid 80s C when fully loaded.

Right now it's not delidded. My H110i is actually doing well keeping it cool. It's runs mid 80s C when fully loaded.

sounds like mine before delid 1.2 ish volts is manageable with a good AIO or custom loop, if you wanna push 1.25-1.3v delid becomes necessary.

in other news 7740x stress testing today now that i got my water loop cleaned and fixed up so far looking very solid at 1.375v 5.2 ghz. half an hour of realbench stable so far.

sounds like mine before delid 1.2 ish volts is manageable with a good AIO or custom loop, if you wanna push 1.25-1.3v delid becomes necessary.

in other news 7740x stress testing today now that i got my water loop cleaned and fixed up so far looking very solid at 1.375v 5.2 ghz. half an hour of realbench stable so far.

Even on air at 4.6 ghz all 8 cores I was hitting 90c on a hyper 212 but damn I was over 2000 cinebench and like 198 single core. That is 8700k like IPC. This is on my 7820x

I may have found my XSPC raystorm 2011/66 mounting studs in a bix so I might be good for h2o later tonight. I think I am going to delid.

Im impressed with the 7820x I may sell my 1950x

I just have zero need for two hedt rigs.

Even on air at 4.6 ghz all 8 cores I was hitting 90c on a hyper 212 but damn I was over 2000 cinebench and like 198 single core. That is 8700k like IPC. This is on my 7820x

I may have found my XSPC raystorm 2011/66 mounting studs in a bix so I might be good for h2o later tonight. I think I am going to delid.

That's what I'm talking about. The naysayers were so wrong about SL-X. It's a great cpu.

Odd question, but I have a friend that wants to sell his 7900x for $500, should I take that or get a 8700k for just gaming?

on a hyper 212 can't say i'm surprised they are when overclocked even mildly very power hungry CPU's

http://hwbot.org/submission/3685949_

2180 was my best CB R15 run that was at 4.9 / 3.3 1.275v /1.2v

That's what I'm talking about. The naysayers were so wrong about SL-X. It's a great cpu.

IMHO, there was an orchestrated campaign against the SKL-X series. My conclusion is based in the lot of biased reviews by suspect media and in hundred of forums posts. And I also know what happened behind some closed doors.

However this unfair campaign didn't work, because the people that purchases those enthusiast chips are well-informed people that can use their brains. The other day I was checking for other kind of data and I discovered that HWBOT shows a 10:1 ratio between customers of i9-7900X and of TR-1950X. I am not claiming that there is a 10:1 ratio of users worldwide, but this i9 (and the rest of the SKL-X series) is selling very well despite all the FUD in forums and the bad press.

Not uexpected that the overhyped TR-1950X just got a huge price discount recently and is now $880. Before or after the truth would affloat. SKL-X are excellent chips, superior to anything that AMD can offer except in pricing.

IMHO, there was an orchestrated campaign against the SKL-X series. My conclusion is based in the lot of biased reviews by suspect media and in hundred of forums posts. And I also know what happened behind some closed doors.

However this unfair campaign didn't work, because the people that purchases those enthusiast chips are well-informed people that can use their brains. The other day I was checking for other kind of data and I discovered that HWBOT shows a 10:1 ratio between customers of i9-7900X and of TR-1950X. I am not claiming that there is a 10:1 ratio of users worldwide, but this i9 (and the rest of the SKL-X series) is selling very well despite all the FUD in forums and the bad press.

Not uexpected that the overhyped TR-1950X just got a huge price discount recently and is now $880. Before or after the truth would affloat. SKL-X are excellent chips, superior to anything that AMD can offer except in pricing.

TR is nowhere to be found on HWBOT because #1 sky-x beats it, #2 AMD doesn't support hwbot and overclocking events like Intel does so none of the elite guys will bother wasting their money to try and bench it because they already know sky-x will beat it anyways. another big reason why ryzen in general outside of newer overclockers on ambient still is not seen much there is because it does terrible on cold if your lucky your cpu will handle LN2 just enough to do cpu benches but 3d benching goes right out the window on cold because the SOC gets upset and you loose pci-express 2.0+

TR is really neat but its also pretty niche it does certain things really well but tends to fall short on being something one can use to get good all around performance everyday. (at least without having to switch into gaming mode to get rid of that horrid latency)

880?! Dam the price/performance is really climbing for AMD!
I would love to get one but it would only be used for DC projects. I will see what AMD and Intel come up with next year.

880?! Dam the price/performance is really climbing for AMD!
I would love to get one but it would only be used for DC projects. I will see what AMD and Intel come up with next year.

Im close to being ready to sell mine Hagrid. I have no need for x299 and x399 in the same room lol. I mean im more of a gamer and less of an hedt in the end even though im only EVER going to run hedt stuff.

Im close to being ready to sell mine Hagrid. I have no need for x299 and x399 in the same room lol. I mean im more of a gamer and less of an hedt in the end even though im only EVER going to run hedt stuff.
Yeah, I would like to have a lower power gaming system. I don't need 8 cores for VR. Maybe next year some good things will emerge! Glad I have more than enough memory. :)

The 1950x is a great value compared to the 7900x/7920x. The 1920x is the cpu that needs a price drop. It needs to be around 7820x prices

Back