Skylake-X (Core i9) - Lineup, Specifications and Reviews!

When people run AVX512 at full speed? No wonder. Those 10 cores on a 7900X in SIMD type loads is also faster than 40 Zen cores ;)

And TR will be what, slower but smoother like Ryzen? :D

Not sure about that, but It will be $999 like that BDW-E 10 core you said would happen - of course, you were HILARIOUSLY wrong then.

Seriously, why are you so incredibly biased? EVERYONE should be happy that AMD is back in the game whether you like their products or not, especially seeing Intel's ridiculous pricing which even you were embarrassingly wrong about. I don't care about either company or brands - I want what's best for what I'm willing to pay. Typically, when I've maintained several PCs at home, that has meant an Intel in my main PC and AMD in my 2-4 other gaming machines for guests. It has also meant (in general) Intel servers at home, such as the dual Xeon server I'm running and the Intel-based Proliants in the past.

I seriously considered that route for awhile, but I'm going to wait and see how TR and Coffee Lake come out. I've built a couple of Ryzen boxes for second and third gaming machines and I've been pretty impressed, but I'm still undecided on what to do for my main rig. I really had my heart set on the i9-7900k, but there is no way I'm going that route now.

intel_core_x_series.jpg

Chart with clocks

So we have have Xeon-SP Gold 6154 with 3.7Ghz all core turbo and 205w TDP and then we supposedly have i9-7980X with 4.2Ghz turbo and 165w TDP. I'm just gonna say it: 4.2Ghz Turbo 2.0 is going to be for 2 cores max and all core turbo is going to be in the ballpark of 3.3-3.4Ghz just by looking what the all core turbo is for Xeon-SP Gold 6150 (165w).

Oh well, it seems they have retained high turbos for single threaded / light threaded workloads which is a good thing... if that chart is to be believed.

For all those Intel paid fans who claim Intel's CPUs have never been cheaper. Here is what Intel had to say last night: Higher CPU prices helped revenue, while units are down.
But in a sign of the delusion, they also said: Oh it's not that we raised prices at all, customers are buying the more expensive CPUs.

And that is how you die. A competitor comes along who captures your lower end and slowly moves up.

The 7940x looks to be a powerhouse. Its the cheapest of the 165w TDP. I would love to know the o/c power draw on that monster!

The 12 core and 16 core seem a bit useless as the 10 core and 14 core should come very close in multi-thread performance with such a huge clock drop.
There is a big jump to the 14 core as it is the first 165w.
The 18 core is for those that want it all with no comprimises whatsoever.

The clocks on the 18 core are pretty impressive. The 7900x would need to be running close to 4.7 ghz to match it on multithhread!

Temps at that overclock?

At that clock temp are HIGH. Hit 93c in that benchmark. Defiitely not my 24/7setting...only for benches.

And what cooler are you using :)

I'm assuming the Corsair H115 in his sig, but if that's not the case, do tell us, Tahoe.

Yes I am cooling it with my push/pull H115i. It is also delidded.

This is at my 24/7 settings...4.8GHz @ 1.285v. It maxes at 81c durring a 2hr Realbench stress test.

epOf0yJ.jpg

Still plenty fast for 24/7 use in my opinion.

At that clock temp are HIGH. Hit 93c in that benchmark. Defiitely not my 24/7setting...only for benches.

Yes I am cooling it with my push/pull H115i. It is also delidded.

This is at my 24/7 settings...4.8GHz @ 1.285v. It maxes at 81c durring a 2hr Realbench stress test.

epOf0yJ.jpg

Still plenty fast for 24/7 use in my opinion.

81c isn't bad - my 2600k hits that during some heavy ripping and re-encoding but my office is a warm room.

81c isn't bad - my 2600k hits that during some heavy ripping and re-encoding but my office is a warm room.

Yeah. I am really happy with the setup. 4.8Ghz staying comfortably cool with an AIO is what I was hoping for. I am actually doing some stability testing right now. I am 44 minutes into a AIDA64 stress test. The hottest core temp recorded is 76c.

I'm about to sack up and see if it will take an hour of Prime95 with AVX.

Not bad. It stayed in the 80s. The hottest core hit 89c and VRM maxed at 78c.

I2ec6aQ.jpg

So your only running 4.3GHz when running prime due to thermals I take it? What are you using to cool that chip? I see you have done short benchmarks at higher speeds so stability doesn't seem like a issue for you, just seems like thermals are the limit any plans to delid?

So your only running 4.3GHz when running prime due to thermals I take it? What are you using to cool that chip? I see you have done short benchmarks at higher speeds so stability doesn't seem like a issue for you, just seems like thermals are the limit any plans to delid?
It is running 4.3 in Prime95 because of the -5 AVX offset. AVX at 4Ghz+ is brutal and that offset is there for a reason. Running the pre AVX versions of Prime95, it stays pinned at 4.8GHz. The chip is delidded.

It is running 4.3 in Prime95 because of the -5 AVX offset. AVX at 4Ghz+ is brutal and that offset is there for a reason. Running the pre AVX versions of Prime95, it stays pinned at 4.8GHz. The chip is delidded.

Ahh cool thanks for the info, thought it might be how it showed the AVX offset. Didn't know you already delidded, guess I missed that, you did pretty good overall then. How much did the delid help?

Ahh cool thanks for the info, thought it might be how it showed the AVX offset. Didn't know you already delidded, guess I missed that, you did pretty good overall then. How much did the delid help?

Thanks. Delidding got me 11c or 100MHz.

Before:

4.7GHz @ 1.234v - Realbench 2hr run gave a max temp of 81c.

ACEMTo8.png

After:

4.7GHz @ 1.237v - Realbench 2hr run gave a max temp of 70c....an 11c loss.

SHpJzBN.jpg

The extra headroom let me move to this as my 24/7 overclock. 4.8GHz @ 1.285v - Realbench 2hr run gave a max temp of 81c.

AV9aIJ9.jpg

Look at those base clocks for the 7940X compared to the 7920X. Very weird how the higher core count 7940X has a higher base clock than the lower core count 7920X.

Typo?

Look at those base clocks for the 7940X compared to the 7920X. Very weird how the higher core count 7940X has a higher base clock than the lower core count 7920X.

Typo?

Its the same clocks as the leak last week, I don't believe this is a typo. The 12 core is probably downclocked a bit more to fit into 140w TDP or the bottom tier cut down HCC chips don't like higher clocks, which I doubt.

Its the same clocks as the leak last week, I don't believe this is a typo. The 12 core is probably downclocked a bit more to fit into 140w TDP or the bottom tier cut down HCC chips don't like higher clocks, which I doubt.

If true, that's a strange way of doing things for an enthusiast chip.

Yep definately worth the $200 extra to go 7940x. The 12 core seems kinda pointless with such low clocks.

Sneak peek at Intel Core i9-7960X performance; lands a 3200 on Cinebench R15.
The 1950x at 4GHz all cores scores very similarly and this is stock with unknown all core boost, this could be interesting!
But that 699 dollar difference will still likely be hard to justify though

Hmm...we'll see....That was the one I was looking at.
I've put up the cash on a dual Xeon gold system. 2x 6144's (a workstation) .
I am very much curious about how these 16 cores will stack up v.s. the 'consumer' grade 16 core solutions.
---
My X11DPi-NT arrives in a week or so.Processors mebbie in October....

We will talk later.

:D

edit : socket P waterblocks ?

To my surprise there has been a Threadripper found in the wild clock at 4.1 on all 16 cores.

qS4GX7H.jpg

Back